Osmolator Universal 3155 Stopped Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I replaced a cheap top off system and bought a brand new Tunze Osmolator little over a year ago. It has been working great till this week. It is flashing all four lights and sounding the alarm. I unplugged it and soaked everything in a vinegar bath for two days. Cleaned it up and rinsed it off and I'm still having this problem. When I power it on I get a green water level led. Then all LEDs off for about 5 seconds and then all flashing LEDs with the alarm.
I have not moved it or messed with it since day one nor have I added anything around it. I don't know what else I can try....

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the wrong power supply is accidentally connected, or the pump is dead. Verify you did not accidentally connect the power supply from another device and then try it with the pump disconnected. It is cycling off an on either from an overload at the pump connection which could also be due to these connectors being shorted by saltwater or getting power outside the range of 10-15V at at least 1200mA.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has grate customer support. I had an ATO that went bad last year. Shipped to Tunze in Texas I think. They fixed it and had it back within a week. No charge besides shipping there.

OP
OP
Luke Schnabel

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the reply @rvitko The alarm was sounding and nothing was touched. I went ahead and unplugged the pump and then plugged the power back in and the same thing is happening. Does that mean the pump has failed?

OP
OP
Luke Schnabel

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have anything to measure the voltage though I may ask a friend if he can come check it out.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that the power supply indeed says Tunze 5012.010, for example the power supply from an Apex or any powerhead would also cause this. If it did this with the pump disconnected, the issue is elsewhere and most likely it is with the power supply.

OP
OP
Luke Schnabel

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok It is indeed the Tunze power supply plugged in. I don't have the tools to test the voltage but I don't know how all off a sudden after about 14 months it would just change? from the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any water anywhere around it.
Could I send it in to you guys and see if the controller needs replaced?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the pumps go bad (which is very common) this is NOT what they do. Usually a bad pump will just stop running or make noise with no water movement. Sounds like you have a problem with the controller unit itself.

OP
OP
Luke Schnabel

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not going to buy something new to replace something that stops working in 14 months. If I did that I would just buy the cheap stuff.

He said it's not the pump since I've disconnected it and the problem still happens.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, bad pumps can cause the controller to flash all 4 lights and beep, it depends on the age of the controller, since 2012 a lot more onboard diagnostics and safeties were added. In this case I don't believe it is the pump, but I have never seen it be the controller, a controller problem will usually be a flashing too low light only shortly after start up (memory erased) or a flashing too low light and solid too high light with or without the green level light (water damage). It has a 2 year warranty, water damage is not covered but we make our best effort to repair it and provided only cleaning and touch up is needed we don't charge for such a repair. Please send it in, include a note with return address and phone number, the pump (bagged separately) power supply and controller.
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back