Baxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, it's been a few years since I kept a saltwater tank - my expertise is definitely in freshwater and turtles. In the past I had 2 thriving reef tanks with fish & LPS but once my ex and I broke up I kept the freshwater and he took the salt tanks (he was definitely the salt expert!)

So, recently one of my friends couldn't handle having his 2ft salt tank anymore and offered it to me. It was covered in Dino's which I've mostly gotten rid of with daily removal and reduced light cycle and intensity. I've had it a little over a week - reused most of the tank water, the live rock and bioballs were submerged under tank water for the journey etc. Tank doesn't seem to be cycling again (...yet lol)

We've got 2 clowns, a six-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, a young coral-banded shrimp and some little hermits. In terms of corals - a Duncan, Goni and hammer, all small frags

I've spoken to my LFS regarding my current parameters and also done a lot of reading. I think my calcium and magnesium are too high, while other parameters are too low. I would love to get some advice on here

Current parameters:
120L tank with sump
Temp: 25 degrees Celcius
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1ppm (can't seem to get this up)
pH 8.1
kH: 7.8
Calcium: 510
Magnesium: 1610
Phosphate: 0

Would these parameters be any immediate threat to our fishies and corals? Everything seems happy and healthy at the moment. My LFS seems to think parameters are good, but I've read otherwise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Britt & Daryl

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, it's been a few years since I kept a saltwater tank - my expertise is definitely in freshwater and turtles. In the past I had 2 thriving reef tanks with fish & LPS but once my ex and I broke up I kept the freshwater and he took the salt tanks (he was definitely the salt expert!)

So, recently one of my friends couldn't handle having his 2ft salt tank anymore and offered it to me. It was covered in Dino's which I've mostly gotten rid of with daily removal and reduced light cycle and intensity. I've had it a little over a week - reused most of the tank water, the live rock and bioballs were submerged under tank water for the journey etc. Tank doesn't seem to be cycling again (...yet lol)

We've got 2 clowns, a six-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, a young coral-banded shrimp and some little hermits. In terms of corals - a Duncan, Goni and hammer, all small frags

I've spoken to my LFS regarding my current parameters and also done a lot of reading. I think my calcium and magnesium are too high, while other parameters are too low. I would love to get some advice on here

Current parameters:
120L tank with sump
Temp: 25 degrees Celcius
Salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1ppm (can't seem to get this up)
pH 8.1
kH: 7.8
Calcium: 510
Magnesium: 1610
Phosphate: 0

Would these parameters be any immediate threat to our fishies and corals? Everything seems happy and healthy at the moment. My LFS seems to think parameters are good, but I've read otherwise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Britt & Daryl
I would try an increase both nitrates and phosphates (strictly for the coral) but other than that, everything looks ok :)Calcium and Mg are a little high for my liking, but nothing dangerous to livestock.

OP
OP
B

Baxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try an increase both nitrates and phosphates (strictly for the coral) but other than that, everything looks ok :)Calcium and Mg are a little high for my liking, but nothing dangerous to livestock.
Hey! Thank you so much for your response :) you've basically said exactly what our LFS has said so it's a good piece of mind! We'll try to lower the mag and calc over the next few water changes

I'm trying to increase nitrates and phosphates with extra feeding. We're also planning to dose them each day but LFS was out of stock until next week. Hoping once they're up it'll solve the dino issue too!

Thanks again!! :)

Britt & Daryl

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back