Parking lot halide?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a 15 dollar 400 watt halide fixture someone's selling near me right now... and it's the lowest wattage halide available. Will it be fit for fishkeeping? Is there a specific fixture I need for halides?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a 15 dollar 400 watt halide fixture someone's selling near me right now... and it's the lowest wattage halide available. Will it be fit for fishkeeping? Is there a specific fixture I need for halides?
WEll that's a pretty open question. From one standpoint a fixture designed for a parking lot isn't designed for a saltwater aquarium.
Then there is the school of thought that says "why not"?

Without some more specifics like ballast type, bulb holder style and reflector design not to mention its ability to withstand a salty enviroment.. well te answer is a "maybe" but...

That said even used these do not go cheap.
Generally weather sealed and industrial grade housings .
Biggest thing in my opinion is what is the angle of the reflector?
Too wide and you would light the room more than the tank no matter where you hung it. Too narrow and you don't have enough height in a normal house.
Next is the base type. Mogul, double ended ect.. Generally there are only a few common types AFAICT but I don't know what you are looking at.
Then the ballast as to exactly what "style" of bulb it runs.

Point is without a lot more info nobody can say for sure it will work out.
Most would say just look for used reef mh's.
Some would even say even hort. ones aren't "good enough".

Oh and keep in mid it probably is a LOT heavier than reef mh's since the ballsat will be contained inside and not a "remote" ballast as in most aquarium ones. Not all.. and the likely large casting.

Just for a comparison:

50#'s each (can't imagine hanging that sucker over a tank) , built in light/dark sensor which obviously one would need to defeat.
And 18" x 22" x 7"

Probably dozens of styles though Don't know yours... Oh MH bulbs can be fussy as to their position like base up/down or horizontal.
Another factor to consider.

And voltage..I assume not all are 120v.

But for $15 unless the ballast is shot, or seals are bad, or bulb socket isn't cracked, or wires aren't worn and it runs on 120v, if the bulb is horizontal ,and the base is "Standard", and there is no dawn/dusk sensor or you know how to override it and you can figure out how to mount it well it "should" be worth a try,

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEll that's a pretty open question. From one standpoint a fixture designed for a parking lot isn't designed for a saltwater aquarium.
Then there is the school of thought that says "why not"?

Without some more specifics like ballast type, bulb holder style and reflector design not to mention its ability to withstand a salty enviroment.. well te answer is a "maybe" but...

That said even used these do not go cheap.
Generally weather sealed and industrial grade housings .
Biggest thing in my opinion is what is the angle of the reflector?
Too wide and you would light the room more than the tank no matter where you hung it. Too narrow and you don't have enough height in a normal house.
Next is the base type. Mogul, double ended ect.. Generally there are only a few common types AFAICT but I don't know what you are looking at.
Then the ballast as to exactly what "style" of bulb it runs.

Point is without a lot more info nobody can say for sure it will work out.
Most would say just look for used reef mh's.
Some would even say even hort. ones aren't "good enough".

Oh and keep in mid it probably is a LOT heavier than reef mh's since the ballsat will be contained inside and not a "remote" ballast as in most aquarium ones. Not all.. and the likely large casting.

Just for a comparison:

50#'s each (can't imagine hanging that sucker over a tank) , built in light/dark sensor which obviously one would need to defeat.
And 18" x 22" x 7"

Probably dozens of styles though Don't know yours... Oh MH bulbs can be fussy as to their position like base up/down or horizontal.
Another factor to consider.

And voltage..I assume not all are 120v.

But for $15 unless the ballast is shot, or seals are bad, or bulb socket isn't cracked, or wires aren't worn and it runs on 120v, if the bulb is horizontal ,and the base is "Standard", and there is no dawn/dusk sensor or you know how to override it and you can figure out how to mount it well it "should" be worth a try,
1700806506526.png

So this is the actual light, it comes with a ballast(internal ig) and reflectors, my problem really is just whether 400 watts is too much for corals and whether it'll pretty much work the same as a reefing halide. Bulb's apparently brand new.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back