Plastic tub into refugium

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this 30 gallon plastic tub I use only when doin large water changes on my freshwater tank but have not used in years. Now it just holds extra nets and equipment. I have a nuvo 60g reef that could use a refugium. Is there any way for me to attach the two note I don't think I can drill into my nuvo 60g and I don't know how to plumb in a tub. Also I don't know 100% if I ever used water with copper in it with the tub. Anyone?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. The most logical thing to do, since the bin probably cost you less than your aquarium, is to drill holes for bulkheads into your bin - one where the water will be pumped in from the tank below it, the other at the water level you want for the refugium (so the water will drain back into the tank) - and then install the bulkheads (and associated tubing) in those holes. Keep in mind that plastic storage bins are not intended to hold water and tend to bow when more than half full; this can partially be fixed by keeping the lid attached to the bin and just cutting a hole or two into the lid so you can access its interior for maintenance, though even then you would be best not filling the bin to the brim.

EDIT: I find that, at least with air line tubing (3/16 of an inch ID), you can make an air (and water) tight seal by simply drilling a hole slightly smaller than the outside of the tubing and then pulling the tubing through it (best done by cutting the tubing at an angle, pulling the cut end through the hole, and then using needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the tubing through). I have not yet tested this with larger tubing sizes, though...I really should get a cheap storage bin one of these days and try it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. The most logical thing to do, since the bin probably cost you less than your aquarium, is to drill holes for bulkheads into your bin - one where the water will be pumped in from the tank below it, the other at the water level you want for the refugium (so the water will drain back into the tank) - and then install the bulkheads (and associated tubing) in those holes. Keep in mind that plastic storage bins are not intended to hold water and tend to bow when more than half full; this can partially be fixed by keeping the lid attached to the bin and just cutting a hole or two into the lid so you can access its interior for maintenance, though even then you would be best not filling the bin to the brim.

EDIT: I find that, at least with air line tubing (3/16 of an inch ID), you can make an air (and water) tight seal by simply drilling a hole slightly smaller than the outside of the tubing and then pulling the tubing through it (best done by cutting the tubing at an angle, pulling the cut end through the hole, and then using needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the tubing through). I have not yet tested this with larger tubing sizes, though...I really should get a cheap storage bin one of these days and try it out.
Thenk you. Should I keep the bin half full?

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all plastics are food safe & can leach contaminates into the water column when used over time. This is especially true if you are not 100% convinced that you have never had anything harmful to your livestock. The good news is that plastic is cheap & can easily be used to expand your system if you have the space to work with. Check your local farm supply store. They tend to have a varity of water storage containers that are BPA free & make great additions. We're using a 50gal Rubbermaid stock tank as a remote refugium & an 18gal water storage tub for the container of our surge device.

As noted above, you'll want to drill the plastic & install above the AIO. Gravity will do the work to drain the filtered goodness from the refugium back to the display. I have found Uniseal's to be a great option for plastic & pvc pipe.

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all plastics are food safe & can leach contaminates into the water column when used over time. This is especially true if you are not 100% convinced that you have never had anything harmful to your livestock. The good news is that plastic is cheap & can easily be used to expand your system if you have the space to work with. Check your local farm supply store. They tend to have a varity of water storage containers that are BPA free & make great additions. We're using a 50gal Rubbermaid stock tank as a remote refugium & an 18gal water storage tub for the container of our surge device.

As noted above, you'll want to drill the plastic & install above the AIO. Gravity will do the work to drain the filtered goodness from the refugium back to the display. I have found Uniseal's to be a great option for plastic & pvc pipe.
Agree with the above. Also, keep in mind that accumulating detritus in the refugium can eventually cause issues with ammonia and the algae that uses it...make sure to clean detritus out of the refugium on a regular basis to avoid that.

Back