POLL: Foxface VS Rabbitfish! Which one do you prefer?

Foxface or Rabbitfish?

• Foxface!

Votes: 63 50.8%
  • Rabbitfish!

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • I don't like either.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • They're both awesome!

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • I don't know much about these guys.

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which one do you like best? Foxface or Rabbitfish? Post your experience with either or both of these cool fish, and post a picture of you've got one!

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
El Gigantor & Foxy

20211112_084850_HDR~2.jpg

The Gold Spot Rabbit went to the LFS, had to give it up, got too big 7"+ and started munching on corals. Lost the Foxface Lo to flukes.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but are Foxfaces known to be timid? Mine acts like I’m the grim reaper and won’t come out if I’m around. During feeding time, I have to leave the room, just so he will come out and eat.
The first one I had for 6 years would hide everytime I was around the tank. The last one I had for only a few years would eat nori from my hand.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face, love mine. Don’t hear them munching on Corals as much as rabbit fish. And they are very peaceful in my experience.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but are Foxfaces known to be timid? Mine acts like I’m the grim reaper and won’t come out if I’m around. During feeding time, I have to leave the room, just so he will come out and eat.
I've had my Onespot Foxface for less than a month, and he'll take food from my hands (not my choice, he's just always there when I'm putting food in the water. And I'm careful). He was a bit timid for the first week, but not any longer.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a very cryptic fish! The rabbit pictured above would stay to it's cave and only come out for food. The Foxface Lo was more active and would actually swim around.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are they as grazers?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a one spot foxface and a gold spot rabbitfish in my tank. I liked both, but the foxface was always a timid fish and lacked personality IMO. Unfortunately our foxface randomly passed away a while back. My rabbitfish is full of personality and definitely not shy at all. There has been a few times his curiosity and stomach has gotten him a little too close for comfort while I've been working in the tank. Even nibbling on my arm once or twice to see if I was edible. Cuzco is the puppy dog of our tank and we love him. He holds his own against the three tangs I've got in the tank as well, in fact, he tends to be the boss of the tank.

Edit: I will say, he isn't much of a grazer or ever has been. He is an absolute piglet but very very rarely do I ever see him pick at the rocks.

cuzco.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificent foxface all the way!
Here’s my second of two I’ve owned, both were/have been with me for 2 years. I lost the first one to a dumb mistake I did when upgrading tank. Both of mine love(d) me, I can and could stand infront of the tank moving around all I want and these guys would just beg all the time.
A57C989E-47C5-4B8A-85F8-04A6A481DAE4.jpeg

I have recently fallen in love with the Scribbled Rabbitfish and wish I could have both.
However, I wouldn’t have a 4’+ tank without a Mag in it :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they as grazers?
They work the dream on algae, I’ve never seen a tang beat these guys for algae eating (I don’t mind losing a couple zoas to a Rabbit species due to their algae eating abilities).

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wanted a foxface since started researching few years ago for my first saltwater tank from watching a brs video saying foxface is another cheaper option instead of a yellow tang for the smaller tanks ( like 100g range) as yellow tangs got so expensive since hawaii ban so thought as I did want yellow tang ,now must get a 1 spot foxface Instead for my 80 g as just at bottom end off recommended tank size for a 1 spot foxface,due to its excellent algae grazing habits.
Not to be pedantic but isn't a foxfave a kind off rabbit fish ? sure its what I read from researching years ago but maybe remembered it wrong though.

Decided not to get one in the end due to reading to many posts off them eating soft corals so got 2 x tuxedo urchins instead

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Onespot Foxface for less than a month, and he'll take food from my hands (not my choice, he's just always there when I'm putting food in the water. And I'm careful). He was a bit timid for the first week, but not any longer.
unless you're distressing your foxface into a situation where you deserve a sting, you shouldn't be too worried about getting a nip by its spine. a common misconception i see amongst people who talk about the siganus genus, but you usually won't make your rabbitfish want to sting you unless you're really getting on its nerves.

of course, it's all the same for me as i net and bag fish at work. i pray nobody wants a rabbitfish while i'm clocked in...

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was a little confused by the wording of this post, wanted to see if anybody thought the same. though once classified under the genus lo., foxfaces were merged with the rabbitfish genus siganus.
Your post popped up after I posted mine,so you saying foxface didn't used to be a rabbit fish ? But now is classed as one ?
Sorry late here and brain not working as good lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back