Proper lighting acclimation after drastic under lighting

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I recently discovered that my tank has been under on par for a while now. I am using an ecotech xr15 g5 and the Mobius tank template glitched and locked me out about 3 months ago. I had redo the template on a different account as the entire account was unusable. When doing it, I did not adjust the schedule intensity and it was running the schedule at around 20% total output, for around 3 months.

I bought a seneye to better understand my lighting as I believe my ricordea was expelling zooxanthellae and low and behold the tank was around 50 par on top and 10-25 on bottom. Outside of a touch of browning on my candy cane, the main effect seems to of been a slow growth rate. I had been wondering why my alk and cal had been so slow to decline and I believe this the answer.

The tank is in it's 5th month and has been pleasantly stable so far. I'm hoping to keep it that way and am wondering about the needed acclimation to the appropriate par.

I am planning a mixed reef with a 275-325 top third, 175-125 mid and 80-100 bottom. My highest need for par is a little green Stylo on the top, a favia in the 175 area and on the bottom third there is a candy cane and small variety of mushrooms and zoa/palys.

I currently have my lights at 100% schedule intensity and I adjusted the points close to my par goals with the seneye and am now on a 50 day acclimation at 45% power very close to the setting they've been on for 3 months. Is this too quick of acclimation? Too slow? Is there anything else I need to prepare for? My tank seems surprisingly clean compared to the couple new tanks I've seen with moderate corraline growth and limited algae considering the the amount that was on the kp rock I seeded it with. I've little brown film algae in the glass I scrape once a month but that's about it outside of routine water changes and gravel clean. Is there nuisance algae that I should watch out for that might be waiting for more light? Any help and input is greatly appreciated!!

The tank is a 40g nuvo AIO with a refugium, skimmer and media tray running floss and chemipure blue. The parameters are as of 5/17:

Salinity 1.26
Temp 23.5-25.5 C
pH 8-8.18
No3 10-15
Po4 0.03-0.1
Ca 500
Mg 1300
Alk 9.7 dkh

Back