Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog Congrats! You won the Random draw.

Pfffft!
Spam! :p

DSC_0002 (2) (1024x637).jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gooooood Moooooooorning R2R! Thanks for the pics the views and just being part of what makes R2R SPECIAL. STAY salty my friends. @Hemmdog Congrats! You won the Random draw. Just PM me your name and email you want the certificate sent to and will get it on its way.

079B94B3-A9BC-4D5A-B78E-DB7B51AD361B.jpeg
Woooo!!!!! Thank you!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog congrats again your 30 dollar BRS card should hit your email soon. @RichtheReefer21 pods nano and phyto to kickstart your new fuge on the way for tomorrow afternoon from our premier local PodGuy @Paul C.
Happy to say the real winner in the contest was me more build threads to follow and tanks to inspire and hopefully new friends to share the hobby with. Cheers to all

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog congrats again your 30 dollar BRS card should hit your email soon. @RichtheReefer21 pods nano and phyto to kickstart your new fuge on the way for tomorrow afternoon from our premier local PodGuy @Paul C.
Happy to say the real winner in the contest was me more build threads to follow and tanks to inspire and hopefully new friends to share the hobby with. Cheers to all
Thanks so much for the generosity Ray. Cheers.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s clean up day.
30 gal WC
Skimmer clean out
Filter socks
Glass scrape
Pumps getting soaked and scrubbed in vinegar dunk
May not put socks in full time thinking something easier to clean and ensure not leaving a nitrate factory in sump

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 , smartest decision I’ve made in reefing.
Done deal they are gone. Think just when I need to scrub rocks or blow stuff around tank will they go in. @Hemmdog @Fudsey What improvement did you guys see pulling socks out?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done deal they are gone. Think just when I need to scrub rocks or blow stuff around tank will they go in. @Hemmdog @Fudsey What improvement did you guys see pulling socks out?
So many. And weird stuff you wouldn’t expect like better water clarity and stuff. The pod population for sure is a big bonus. The sump will quickly adapt to using no socks to build up its bio layers or however that works, I assume something like that. Your sump will look more, “sumpy”, this doesn’t work great if your trying to do a display sump or anything like that. It’s picking up the extra workload that the socks were doing and having larger particulates to process. But some how after a week it works itself out and your water gets crystal clear, no more bacterial blooms ever, super stable, no sock maintenance, oodles of pods, no elevated nutrients compared to before or anything like that. All around great.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many. And weird stuff you wouldn’t expect like better water clarity and stuff. The pod population for sure is a big bonus. The sump will quickly adapt to using no socks to build up its bio layers or however that works, I assume something like that. Your sump will look more, “sumpy”, this doesn’t work great if your trying to do a display sump or anything like that. It’s picking up the extra workload that the socks were doing and having larger particulates to process. But some how after a week it works itself out and your water gets crystal clear, no more bacterial blooms ever, super stable, no sock maintenance, oodles of pods, no elevated nutrients compared to before or anything like that. All around great.

Very interesting comments people, I wouldn't run a filter sock or roller thingy if you paid me!
For those that don't know my tank I run two fuges, sump and attached display fuge.
I just took this, sump fuge, if I took a good pinch of that and gently lifted you would be amazed at the root structure!
The display fuge runs 2 x caulerpa species, prolifera and the really naughty one, loads of flow, I don't see the point in cheato, just my preference.

Yes it is mostly cover in cyano currently, better there than in the display! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x772).jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back