Reasons One Would Not Get an Alert

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not getting getting all my R2R website alerts. Not email alerts, but the site alerts in the upper right with the badge number. I usually get on the site with my desktop or iPhone and never use any apps or Tapatalk. I subscribe to several threads and forum categories. It seems like the cases where I am not getting some alerts are when I have the site open in a browser. I get some, but not all. I noticed tonight, for example, three alerts did not fire while I had the site open passively doing something else. I scrolled through "Today's Posts" and noticed there had been new posts. I read through this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/notifications-alerts.314490/

and I see there are certain conditions where alerts are not made. These may have been the case for some of my missed alerts (ignored alerts for example), but definitely not for all of them.

I was wondering if someone could possibly compile a list of situations where one would not get an alert. There is definitely something that happens when I am on the site where I am only getting some alerts and I cannot figure it out. Thanks!

EDIT: I should mention this is not a big deal really, I am more curious than anything else. Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had two occurrences of this. I was sitting on the "Today's Posts" page (around 12:40am, Eastern time). I refreshed and had two watched threads pop up on the refresh (posts to threads 1-2 minutes prior). I had no alert. Waited five minutes, still no alert. These are the two threads:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skimmerless-will-it-work.356229/page-3#post-4430802

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...e-for-inspiration.355262/page-10#post-4431027

In each case, there were several posts made since I last viewed them. I never ignored any alerts for these threads and had viewed them since my last alert (I believe).

Again, not a huge deal, just weird.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into my “Watched Threads” list last night and realized 10-15% of them had a blue dot next to the title. I realized clicking through them this means there were unread posts. I went through some threads to complete reading them. This morning, I had alerts for new content on some of these threads. So this appears to be a good solution to “reset” my alerts.

Upon reflection I was thinking about a possible cause on my end. At work I often move between different areas of the building. I do not have a desk, but have a couple of areas where I perform my function. As I move from area to area I sometimes check the site for alert updates. The problem is my building has terrible connectivity. Some areas have Cellular available, some have WiFi and others have none at all. My phone is switching between all three. I am now wondering if this wavering between connectivity is causing my thread reading to not register properly on the site.

I love that a thread generally picks up where I left off regardless of the number of new posts. I bet this great feature means the site is registering as I pass through specific points. If I lose connection, but keep reading through the content I have loaded, it is not properly registering. Does this sound plausible?

Thanks for your response @eatbreakfast and thanks to anyone else who looked into this. I am satisfied with the knowledge that I can go through my “Watched Threads” list to essentially reactivate my alerts. I consider this resolved.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back