red hair algae?

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi reefers. i wanted to get opinions on what would be the best was yo get rid of some pesky red hair algae that seems to be getting a stronghold on my rocks. it doesnt seem to be impacting my coral reef as of yet but im sure it will if i let it get too out of control (kina already feel i have breached that point). im considering pulling my corals off the rocks and scrubbing them off in a separate wash bucket, then rinsing in another bucket, then putting back in the tank. however i do have several encrusted corals on the rocks so that seem like a pretty invasive way to go about it and i dont really want to damage the corals in the process. are there any reef same critters that i could add to clean it up without removing the rocks?? i notice that the bulk of it (if not all of it) is in the direct light spectrum of the kessills 350a's i have (i added some supplemental t5 and t5+ bulbs and the algae dont seem to be in the areas that the kessills dont reach. seems like more than just a coincidence) and the higher the rock the more the algae is thriving. i have the kessills turned down to around 50% or a smidge less but my light hood that i attached them and the t5's are only about 6-7" off the water and i have a 40gallon breeder tank filled with acros, lps, and others with about 4 fish (sand sifting orange spot goby, algae eating blenny, copper banded angle, and a wyoming white). any ideas that wont risk damaging my corals would be mucho appreciated, thanks

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i have to add that the algae doesnt really look like what i seen on the internet when i google "red hair algae". its more of a darker red almost purplish tint like and its fuzzy but not tall, kina like ground cover. i will try to get a picture with a better camera than my cell phone for id purpouses

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude, but the feedback section of the forum is where users make suggestions or report problems about the site. You might get more responses if you ask your question in the area where people look more regularly.

To address your question, I'd check out the ReefCleaners Nuisance Algae ID Guide. It's a list of algae with descriptions, pics, and a list of clean up crew options if there are any.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude, but the feedback section of the forum is where users make suggestions or report problems about the site. You might get more responses if you ask your question in the area where people look more regularly.

To address your question, I'd check out the ReefCleaners Nuisance Algae ID Guide. It's a list of algae with descriptions, pics, and a list of clean up crew options if there are any.
Thats a great site there are a lot of people that need to check it out.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back