theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the RevE:

California is basically on a state wide shelter in place, but the good note is that China has recovered more or less and I'm getting needed prototypes for the pluggable RevE. Maybe some will show up from next week for protos, and I have parts on hand.

I'm also working on reviving the USB connected add-ons and I/O boards project, which means working on the needed drivers in Reef-Pi its self for communicating over USB or a serial link. There are a few hurdles for the driver / HAL model that I'm figuring out the right solution for Reef Pi, e.g. the temperature system doesn't yet support anything but 1-wire probes on the Raspberry Pi pins. The driver support for Reef Pi is shaping up nicely, and the UI to configure is also coming along which is nice to see - thanks to all the contributors!

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news?

I'll have some news to report shortly :)

Been hammering on a bunch of projects in parallel (lighting and stand-alone controllers) which ate some of the time, but I ended up with a lot more R&D time due to the current situation.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have some news to report shortly :)

Been hammering on a bunch of projects in parallel (lighting and stand-alone controllers) which ate some of the time, but I ended up with a lot more R&D time due to the current situation.
So, when we'll able to buy this board?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1586196194558.png

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted a lot of updates here due to a variety of reasons: day job workload, Corona virus, slow turnaround on prototypes, and focusing a lot of energy on turning around a new mechanical design capability for lighting and other products (spoiler: CNC, aluminum, CAD and CAM, stay tuned on the website and mailing list for fall updates as we iron out industrial design and manufacturing :)).

I have not forgotten though. It took a few runs, but this is the current working model for the needs new name, labaled PICOMOD here, needs new name (formerly known as RevE):

1586652175536.png

Highlights:

1. Still focusing on the Raspberry Pi Zero for now. It makes a very nice compact case, and nothing in this ecosystem really needs anything more than it. I do wish there would be a slight refresh to the hardware, but its an odd one out here for now. If there isn't, we'll spin the design with a larger case down the road.
  2. Retains the same physical case as the last revision.
  3. Retains the GPIO (2 in 2 out) header, including the backwards silk screen from RevD :)grimace:)
  4. Retains the 1-wire temperature connector for DB18B20 probes.
  5. Retains the PicoPH interface
  6. Removes a ton of the on board hardware which wasn't universally applicable (0-10V output, the SMC module which was unused in builds, DB9 relay control)
  7. Retains the 12->5V supply (its pretty solid, still have inventory for it)
  8. Moves to a new setup supporting 5x modules. Each module is focused on being an I2C based module, and is delivered an I2C bus, 12V, 5V, and address selection signals. I2C is heavily used in Reef-Pi, and adding support for more module types is not a hard task in the code base now.
The modules are about 0.7" wide but there is no reason a double or triple wide module couldn't be used if required. Each module is wide enough to support a 4 pin pluggable header, an RJ45 or an HDMI connector for cable pinouts (illustrated by the floating connectors).

The board to board mounting is a 10 pin (2x5) header, which is super easy to use for adding protoboards as well!

Not pictured (since they used a different module diameter), but I've built a few modules as a test case:

- PCA PWM and generic output module
- 12V pump control module
- 5V / 12V Relay control module (will require a wiring adapter for DB9, or sacrifice a double wide module slot)
- 0-10V analog output module

I'm still waiting to finalize some design parts, such as the board to board standoff height and screw mounting location which aren't pictured.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

Tentative name: ReefMod

Expansion:
One open topic is expand-ability beyond 5 modules (or for the larger modules which may take multiple slots). The RevD Pico board contained an I2C terminal header with an active line driver, which both brought the I2C up to 5V and allowed for longer cabling runs which normal I2C wouldn't be able to handle. Right now this isn't on the board, since it does save a few dollars off the sales price and simplifies assembly (and isn't universally applicable).

My current plan is to make a "rpi-less" expansion case and board for the same module formfactor, which can be attached to the I2C bus (or something similar), but this would also require one expansion module to be fitted in the main board with the Raspberry Pi. I'm hunting around for small connectors I can try to shoe horn in to make it not take up a module slot, but I'm not sure the cost burdening is worth it or it makes sense.

The challenge comes with I2C addressing. The REEFMOD connector currently features 3 address select pins - adding more would be a waste on a 0.1" header. The three was designed around the PCA9685 select pins and other devices - most don't have more than 3 pins if they have any at all, and 3 pins allow us to address 8 devices.

Other options include an I2C switch to allow us to address different bus segments, but we'd need to work with @Ranjib to figure out how to use this in a generic way. Its not a great solution as it would make any I2C access, including the RTC, suddenly modal so I'm not a huge fan of this approach.

We can also consider only allowing for only programmable ID devices on expansion modules (where you'd need to run some tool to shift the ID), require jumpers or DIP switches on modules to set ID (if applicable) or develop some sort of I2C inter-poser device which repeats the bus virtually except for an address shift (which would be challenging as the Raspberry Pi is very intolerant of clock stretching on I2C).

I'm currently leaning on the programmable logic expansion module approach if needed - you can still load 5 slots full of PCA9685 driven modules, and as long as the IDs of any chips on the modules don't overlap allows filling in different functions.

Module mounting:

I'm looking at cost effective header stacks to try to push the module height to the top of the case, which gives the most room for connectors as well as allowing the module to extend over the Raspberry Pi at the back of the case. This will slightly impact WiFi connectivity if a module is over the Pi, but not dramatically.

1586743423612.png

I've included a copious number of M2.5 holes for standoffs and mechaincal mounting - the goal is that this is user selectable and no more than 1-2 are needed.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

Tentative name: ReefMod

Expansion:
One open topic is expand-ability beyond 5 modules (or for the larger modules which may take multiple slots). The RevD Pico board contained an I2C terminal header with an active line driver, which both brought the I2C up to 5V and allowed for longer cabling runs which normal I2C wouldn't be able to handle. Right now this isn't on the board, since it does save a few dollars off the sales price and simplifies assembly (and isn't universally applicable).

My current plan is to make a "rpi-less" expansion case and board for the same module formfactor, which can be attached to the I2C bus (or something similar), but this would also require one expansion module to be fitted in the main board with the Raspberry Pi. I'm hunting around for small connectors I can try to shoe horn in to make it not take up a module slot, but I'm not sure the cost burdening is worth it or it makes sense.

The challenge comes with I2C addressing. The REEFMOD connector currently features 3 address select pins - adding more would be a waste on a 0.1" header. The three was designed around the PCA9685 select pins and other devices - most don't have more than 3 pins if they have any at all, and 3 pins allow us to address 8 devices.

Other options include an I2C switch to allow us to address different bus segments, but we'd need to work with @Ranjib to figure out how to use this in a generic way. Its not a great solution as it would make any I2C access, including the RTC, suddenly modal so I'm not a huge fan of this approach.

We can also consider only allowing for only programmable ID devices on expansion modules (where you'd need to run some tool to shift the ID), require jumpers or DIP switches on modules to set ID (if applicable) or develop some sort of I2C inter-poser device which repeats the bus virtually except for an address shift (which would be challenging as the Raspberry Pi is very intolerant of clock stretching on I2C).

I'm currently leaning on the programmable logic expansion module approach if needed - you can still load 5 slots full of PCA9685 driven modules, and as long as the IDs of any chips on the modules don't overlap allows filling in different functions.

Module mounting:

I'm looking at cost effective header stacks to try to push the module height to the top of the case, which gives the most room for connectors as well as allowing the module to extend over the Raspberry Pi at the back of the case. This will slightly impact WiFi connectivity if a module is over the Pi, but not dramatically.

1586743423612.png

I've included a copious number of M2.5 holes for standoffs and mechaincal mounting - the goal is that this is user selectable and no more than 1-2 are needed.
Super duper exciting :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing with some more mockups and prototypes, I've settled on the plan B of board to board connectors, which is a much lower profile connector based on the Molex SlimStack connectors. This allows the module connectors to simply go upwards with no interference elsewhere, since the SlimStack only rises about 5mm off the board, but has a nice positive locking which is then retained with screws:

1586846486116.png

You'll notice the "DevBoard connector" sitting up there... and may be asking, whats that?

1586846555005.png

An optional addon which can sit on tall standoffs on top of the main board, fit in the same case, and is a perf board! It is complete multiple Raspberry Pi GPIOs and power brought over (not broken out yet in the sample picture), as well as pluggable headers for whatever you need outside the board. It uses a small FPC cable as the board to board umbilical which lets it be swung out of the way for probing or other work. This utilizes a lot of the internal case footprint, even though the perf board circuits may be built "upside down" when mounted in the case.

I'm still working out some sizing and spacing models, but thoughts?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had contacted you earlier about a revisionD board. Waiting for this :)

Anyways - thinking about getting started and getting a Pi-0w to play around with - and a couple of the DS18B20 probes you recommend (had a heater issue the other day, and think I could figure out monitoring myself).

Then I noticed this : :Not for use in salt water or other corrosive environments. These are not IP rated, and are not guaranteed for long term/high pressure usage."

Have these held up for people? Or are there better options?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had contacted you earlier about a revisionD board. Waiting for this :)

Anyways - thinking about getting started and getting a Pi-0w to play around with - and a couple of the DS18B20 probes you recommend (had a heater issue the other day, and think I could figure out monitoring myself).

Then I noticed this : :Not for use in salt water or other corrosive environments. These are not IP rated, and are not guaranteed for long term/high pressure usage."

Have these held up for people? Or are there better options?

A lot of import DS18B20 probes are... not good. For reference, a genuine Maxim IC will cost around $2.50 in quantity of a few thousand, so there is no way they're getting you a good stainless encapsulated probe for $4 (or $8 for some resellers like Adafruit) shipped :)

Most imports will likely use a clone chip, ala https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Tem...tai-Semiconductor-Co-Ltd-DS18B20_C376006.html - in my experience, they're crap. Sometimes they work out. Upside is they're really cheap :)

I have't gone into the sensor potting business myself yet, but as part of the Reef-Pi ReefMod overhaul it may need to be done. As part of the PerTempCo project https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theatrus-perfect-temperature-controller.707407/ I acquired a dry well and reference thermometer (1/10 DIN probe) which I can at least use to check some probes, but would need to use a different wet bath to check a plastic encapsulated probe.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus hope everything is good with the corona virus, I had it also was not fun. Looking forward to building a reef pi and waiting to see when the boards will become available again ! hope all is well this is some great work!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back