Where do i submit my order at?

eFfmdb3_d.jpg

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question...why audio jacks for the power connectors, which present plug/unplug issues if the unit isn't powered off? Why not RJ-11 or RJ-45? (or BNC or...?)
A lot of folks don't have the crimpers for the RJ connectors.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks don't have the crimpers for the RJ connectors.

Valid point. I'll bet a 3.5mm to RJ adapter exists somewhere...if not, i could probably cobble one together for cheap.

Seriously, how do i go about getting one of these?

Same. I'd like to be put on the list. Although my lights aren't Kessel...

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question...why audio jacks for the power connectors, which present plug/unplug issues if the unit isn't powered off? Why not RJ-11 or RJ-45? (or BNC or...?)

That was part of the original line of thinking due to ease of building connector ends. Power input is a standard barrel jack.

The 0-10V outputs are current limited. The 1 wire connector has the 3.3V at the tip and ground at the sleeve, and the regulator is current limited (and it’s not the one borrowed from the Pi). I’ll do a lot more hot plugs to test :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valid point. I'll bet a 3.5mm to RJ adapter exists somewhere...if not, i could probably cobble one together for cheap.

Same. I'd like to be put on the list. Although my lights aren't Kessel...

Toss me a DM and I'll make sure I've queued you up. Ranjib gets first dibs, and then I have about 10 more of this first shot after that. :)

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Validation status:

1. I messed up (again?) the load switch for the RPi watchdog reset function. Its not worth reworking the hillarious number of pin swaps required to make this work (really, literally everything was wrong) - the first set of beta boards will simply have this bypassed. Sorry. Beyond the first round boards, this will be fixed in a larger run.
  2. Beeper works. Implemented firmware to make it beep. Its not as loud as I'd like even with running it push/pull off a PWM pin, but it will suffice for right now. You can write to i2c address 0x75 with a 1 to turn it on, 0 to turn it off.
  3. I had to do some part swaps on the 0-10V circuit as the existing LPF was simply not right for the RPi frequency. Now its much smoother. All beta boards have been reworked for this.
  4. Tomorrow I'm spending the rest of the time testing out the firmware for the pH sensor circuit.
Firmware for the SMC controller (power reset, beeper) lives here:
https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-firmware-pico-smc Its super super simple.

I'll push the pH firmware up soon.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knocked out the beta cases. This took a few tries since for the initial batch I'm laser cutting them, I'm not very good at finding the right zero origin. I need to move some of the connectors a bit closer to the edge of the board in order to reduce the huge holes I need to cut around the TRS connectors, DB9, and the MicroUSB and MiniHDMI on the RPi Zero board. The plan is to have these cut in a batch and silk screened by the case manufacturer, but once I hit a sufficient quantity to do that.

case1.jpg

case3.jpg

case2.jpg

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic pH firmware is in place. I'm going to have to rework the first batch of boards however, as I've somehow swapped SDA and SCL on the isolated side. Requires lifting two pins and putting in place two small wires. I'll have to rework the other built boards.

Firmware lives here: https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-firmware-pico-ph

This time, we talk to 0x73, and read any register to get the big-endian signed 16bit value back:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cget -y 1 0x73 0xa5 w
0xfb59

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic pH firmware is in place. I'm going to have to rework the first batch of boards however, as I've somehow swapped SDA and SCL on the isolated side. Requires lifting two pins and putting in place two small wires. I'll have to rework the other built boards.

This time, we talk to 0x73, and read any register to get the big-endian signed 16bit value back:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cget -y 1 0x73 0xa5 w
0xfb59
So , this will be same as Robero’s Board, except the address ?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the Revision C boards are all tested. One has gone out to @Ranjib already. I'll start pinging people on my list shortly.

Note that I made an executive decision from the first beta boards (revC) to the next (revD) set to flip the Raspberry Pi W upside down.

revd.png

Why? Its actually the suggested standard, and you can buy pre-soldered headers in this orientation for the Pi Zero W. I've also inverted the silk screen labels to correctly read from left to right for the terminal header connectors - its very confusing when things get backwards even if you're reading upside down.

I'll be pulling the trigger on RevD boards (B was never made, in case you're keeping score :)) shortly. My small quantity of hand-reworked RevC boards will still be going out.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the Revision C boards are all tested. One has gone out to @Ranjib already. I'll start pinging people on my list shortly.

Note that I made an executive decision from the first beta boards (revC) to the next (revD) set to flip the Raspberry Pi W upside down.

revd.png

Why? Its actually the suggested standard, and you can buy pre-soldered headers in this orientation for the Pi Zero W. I've also inverted the silk screen labels to correctly read from left to right for the terminal header connectors - its very confusing when things get backwards even if you're reading upside down.

I'll be pulling the trigger on RevD boards (B was never made, in case you're keeping score :)) shortly. My small quantity of hand-reworked RevC boards will still be going out.
We love executive decisions :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back