OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through this, did the DB9 remain at 12v? is it possible to select it 5v or 12v?

great work and layout congrats

Its tied to the input voltage, which is designed around 12V. If you're looking to build a power strip relay board, I recommend using stand-alone 12V relays and not the logic level relays common on the adapter boards.

There are two digital outputs at 5V, but at 16mA max. 5V power is brought out through the rear header (500mA max) as well.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those keeping score, I am totally out of the Revision C boards. The Revision D is on order and parts are on hand.

I've also updated the schematics and added gerber files for all of the output on GitHub: https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-pico. If you do want to build your own copy, I would strongly recommend grabbing a stencil from OSHStencil or your PCB supplier as the two MCUs are QFN packages.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my mail box today and noticed this has arrived :0) , finally
139EAFD4-02DF-4705-BB02-CBEA4DBDD569.jpeg

I was really surprised to realize how small it is :) . I am stoked to see the whole thing is so small. Its roughly two pack of cigarette, side by side.
Made in USA :)
54569EAB-95D5-4B98-9C0B-2D44EF572930.jpeg

Till now I had only seen this in pdfs, images and schematics, but it looks much nicer in real
6B78900A-9E60-4D13-95C2-8F4FE669A5DE.jpeg
CC3E1050-055C-41C5-B93F-BC7D52721CF9.jpeg

I didn't had much time to play with it, so I just used one of my reef-pi backup sd card. I had to update the /boot/config.txt to reflect the new pwm/one wire settings. Unit boot up just fine, I was able to test out the temperature sensor and light (10V pwm for kessil). I was not able to test the 12V relays (ADJ power strip) due to incompatible db9 connectors. All I have is both side female cable, this unit expects a male connector. I'll have to order a male-female db9 cable and report back the results.

Overall, I am very very happy to see this. I think a mechanical on/off switch button will be a nice addition. I can add that by myself. I think a 3d printed case for this board specifically will be superb. That will make it thinner
3F8F285F-3C4D-4CF3-A38F-9D2ED9E904C3.jpeg
D4C34308-2744-45EA-9F13-C6E9712F6518.jpeg

@theatrus I think all the nano/pico folks will love this :) . I'll do some work on the software side to make the installation process little more beginner friendly (wifi hotspot based first time configuration), it will take some time,. but that will give us some time to design the case etc. I am going to start a thread in NR as well . Reefers deserve this :)

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my mail box today and noticed this has arrived :0) , finally
139EAFD4-02DF-4705-BB02-CBEA4DBDD569.jpeg

I was really surprised to realize how small it is :) . I am stoked to see the whole thing is so small. Its roughly two pack of cigarette, side by side.
Made in USA :)
54569EAB-95D5-4B98-9C0B-2D44EF572930.jpeg

Till now I had only seen this in pdfs, images and schematics, but it looks much nicer in real
6B78900A-9E60-4D13-95C2-8F4FE669A5DE.jpeg
CC3E1050-055C-41C5-B93F-BC7D52721CF9.jpeg

I didn't had much time to play with it, so I just used one of my reef-pi backup sd card. I had to update the /boot/config.txt to reflect the new pwm/one wire settings. Unit boot up just fine, I was able to test out the temperature sensor and light (10V pwm for kessil). I was not able to test the 12V relays (ADJ power strip) due to incompatible db9 connectors. All I have is both side female cable, this unit expects a male connector. I'll have to order a male-female db9 cable and report back the results.

Overall, I am very very happy to see this. I think a mechanical on/off switch button will be a nice addition. I can add that by myself. I think a 3d printed case for this board specifically will be superb. That will make it thinner
3F8F285F-3C4D-4CF3-A38F-9D2ED9E904C3.jpeg
D4C34308-2744-45EA-9F13-C6E9712F6518.jpeg

@theatrus I think all the nano/pico folks will love this :) . I'll do some work on the software side to make the installation process little more beginner friendly (wifi hotspot based first time configuration), it will take some time,. but that will give us some time to design the case etc. I am going to start a thread in NR as well . Reefers deserve this :)
See if you can find a DB-9 gender changer

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, all we need is the pi and the probes for this to work? I don't need to get any additional boards? @@theatrus

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic pH firmware is in place. I'm going to have to rework the first batch of boards however, as I've somehow swapped SDA and SCL on the isolated side. Requires lifting two pins and putting in place two small wires. I'll have to rework the other built boards.

Firmware lives here: https://github.com/blueacro/reefpi-firmware-pico-ph

This time, we talk to 0x73, and read any register to get the big-endian signed 16bit value back:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cget -y 1 0x73 0xa5 w
0xfb59

Is this the same pH probe in the documentation?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, all we need is the pi and the probes for this to work? I don't need to get any additional boards? @@theatrus
Yes, no soldering nothing . Just hook up pi, and insert a sd card with raspbian and you are good to go

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the double junction probe significantly better than the standard ones?
I don’t know, we know they are better but I don’t have any reference to quantify how much. The price is hardly 10$ difference

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same pH probe in the documentation?
Most marine tank compatible ph probes are interchangeable. I am yet to add support for this ph circuit in reef-pi

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And an ADJ power strip (if you want to control anything :)), and a 12V adapter (though I'm looking at stocking one). The core hardware for pH, driving the ADJ power strips, 0-10V and 1wire is all on board. You will likely need to solder the male end of the 0-10V and 1-wire connectors to the same 3.5mm plug, but don't need to build any of the circuit. I'm working on some guides; the pinout should be the same as Ranjib's guides, though I may have unintentionally varied something.

Note that the pH probe does not work out of the box with Reef-Pi yet. It looks the same from an I2C bus perspective as the other pH board using an ADS1114 A/D converter (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-ph-orp-adapter.478158/), and either @Ranjib or I will get to plugging this into the new code base, but its not going to work out of the box just yet. The beta units also don't ship any bootloader code on the two embedded micro-controllers, so there may be some tweaks needed which aren't yet field upgradeable. This is on my list before full release.

pH probes are interchangeable as they all work on the same principle - any will work. Double junction probes tend to have a longer lifetime before needing to be re-calibrated. I would avoid the super cheap "refillable" ones though - they tend to not survive being immersed in the sampling reservoir for long periods of time (they refill... in reverse).

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And an ADJ power strip (if you want to control anything :)), and a 12V adapter (though I'm looking at stocking one). The core hardware for pH, driving the ADJ power strips, 0-10V and 1wire is all on board. You will likely need to solder the male end of the 0-10V and 1-wire connectors to the same 3.5mm plug, but don't need to build any of the circuit. I'm working on some guides; the pinout should be the same as Ranjib's guides, though I may have unintentionally varied something.

Note that the pH probe does not work out of the box with Reef-Pi yet. It looks the same from an I2C bus perspective as the other pH board using an ADS1114 A/D converter (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-ph-orp-adapter.478158/), and either @Ranjib or I will get to plugging this into the new code base, but its not going to work out of the box just yet. The beta units also don't ship any bootloader code on the two embedded micro-controllers, so there may be some tweaks needed which aren't yet field upgradeable. This is on my list before full release.

pH probes are interchangeable as they all work on the same principle - any will work. Double junction probes tend to have a longer lifetime before needing to be re-calibrated. I would avoid the super cheap "refillable" ones though - they tend to not survive being immersed in the sampling reservoir for long periods of time (they refill... in reverse).

I have the ADJ power strip, but from what ranjib says, I might need a new m/f cable as the cable that comes with it is f/f. I also have the temp probe built, as well as the optical sensor for the ATO, and a couple other odds and ends as I was about 1/3 of the way done with the original build plans published by ranjib on adafruit. I have a case as well that I will try to fit to work with this board and a pi3. I'll post my progress and challenges so that others can maybe find a better way to handle this board with a standard pi3, vice buying the pi zero. I already had the pi3 which is why I'm trying to use it.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ADJ power strip, but from what ranjib says, I might need a new m/f cable as the cable that comes with it is f/f. I also have the temp probe built, as well as the optical sensor for the ATO, and a couple other odds and ends as I was about 1/3 of the way done with the original build plans published by ranjib on adafruit. I have a case as well that I will try to fit to work with this board and a pi3. I'll post my progress and challenges so that others can maybe find a better way to handle this board with a standard pi3, vice buying the pi zero. I already had the pi3 which is why I'm trying to use it.

Your ADJ came with a cable? Curious, mine did not. You can also use a gender changer on the DB9.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ADJ came with a cable? Curious, mine did not. You can also use a gender changer on the DB9.

I'll have to find one that doesn't cost as much as a new cable would. The DB-9 connector on the board is female, yes? Also, I think I either knew I needed a cable and ordered them at the same time, or amazon suggested it and I got it.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to find one that doesn't cost as much as a new cable would. The DB-9 connector on the board is female, yes? Also, I think I either knew I needed a cable and ordered them at the same time, or amazon suggested it and I got it.

Yes, female end on the connector.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back