Refuge lighting type and schedule?

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the sump system and have almost everything lined up minus a skimmer and a refuge light. I was wondering what is a cheap option that works for a refuge light. I have a 70 gallon 3ft tall with a 20 gallon long sump. I’m not trying to shell out $200 right now on a light for the fuge when I still need a skimmer. What’s something I can get for the time being that works for people until I upgrade some day down the road? Also how long does everyone keep their fuge light on durning the day? I feel 24 hrs will deplete all the nutrients. Thanks in advance.
Links to light are appreciated

Another question slightly off the exact topic. Do you place your fuge before or after the skimmer chamber?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the fuge after the skimmer to stop algae from getting sucked up. However, a properly lit fuge may not need a skimmer especially right away. I know many who stopped running their skimmer because their refugium did too well.

As for how long, this just depends on how much you need to to remove. Tune it to your liking. I keep mine off for 5 hours a day.

Do you need a light with an arm or are you hanging it?

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the fuge after the skimmer to stop algae from getting sucked up. However, a properly lit fuge may not need a skimmer especially right away. I know many who stopped running their skimmer because their refugium did too well.

As for how long, this just depends on how much you need to to remove. Tune it to your liking. I keep mine off for 5 hours a day.

Do you need a light with an arm or are you hanging it?
Something with an arm or a could hang them either way. Just want to try and keep the cost down and get most bang for my buck.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nicrew hyperreef 30-50w would work. Luxbird or par38 bulbs also should work decently well.
I liked the luxbird before I went with the Zetlight E200, Neptune has their branded version of the Zetlight E200S which is the smaller one I'm not sure of the price but as I recall it was reasonable. It's a shame that it's hard to find the Zetlight E200 or E200s now it's a great light. Fully controllable and my chaeto loves it.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Pistondog uses.

This. Either red or white. I have a 20watt shop light that's white....and its waterproof....and grows cheato like a boss.

Amusing seeing dedicated reef lights over fuge tanks though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back