Ribbon eel

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to here from people who have successfully kept ribbon eels. Fish store claims they don't escape like other eels, I don't think that's true. Have they ate your fish?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs always had them. Just don't want it escaping or eating my smaller fish

I think if you can get them to eat anything in captivity it's a bonus. I wouldn't attempt one if you aren't prepared to feed it something live.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can get them to eat anything in captivity it's a bonus. I wouldn't attempt one if you aren't prepared to feed it something live.
I doubt I will get one, unless I do tank for it just gathering info. I would be willing to feed live food depending on how affordable the live food is and is locally available

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat small, skinny fish. A coworker of mine has one in a small cube tank and keeps him with firefish. The ribbon eel eats a firefish every few days.

Ribbon eels will escape if there aren't adequate hiding places, but if there are hiding places they are less likely to go exploring like other wrasses.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat small, skinny fish. A coworker of mine has one in a small cube tank and keeps him with firefish. The ribbon eel eats a firefish every few days.

Ribbon eels will escape if there aren't adequate hiding places, but if there are hiding places they are less likely to go exploring like other wrasses.
Thanks. For the info. Sounds like a good way to do it.

I wonder if they are better kept alone or a pair, I imagine they get territorial in a aquarium due to food a availblity.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kept in a reef tank they will do fine as long as it is not to small...
I fed platies till they ate off a stick.
Bad news is they are escape artist and they will eat your other fish...
They are mostly blind from what I understand and mine went at most everything so I had to get rid of it.... He ate most of my fish..

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept in a reef tank they will do fine as long as it is not to small...
I fed platies till they ate off a stick.
Bad news is they are escape artist and they will eat your other fish...
They are mostly blind from what I understand and mine went at most everything so I had to get rid of it.... He ate most of my fish..
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. So species only tank is the way to go it seems.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any long term successes but they are neat!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. So species only tank is the way to go it seems.

Reefs are fine just need to keep larger fish. They will eat clowns, royal Grammas stuff like that. They might take a bite of of something like a smaller tang. They will bite a human if not carefull...

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue for me is I have a rimless tank of an odd size. It is 48x30x20. And unless I drop 400$ on a custom lid. There isn't anyway I could keep the eel in my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen frame, BRS 1/4" mesh, spline, and a hacksaw make a custom screen for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen frame, BRS 1/4" mesh, spline, and a hacksaw make a custom screen for a reasonable price.
Did that, problem was, there was no good way to attach it to tank. Also the way my tank is I have to have a 4"x4" notch for overflow/ return line. So it cause the screen too to kinda warp and bend over time from taking it on and off.
I know there is a company that makes custom screen tops with poly carbonate border but there expensive.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back