SCA 50 Cube Lighting Recommendations?

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I thought I would see if I could get some opinions/suggestions for some lighting. Here is my current build, and what I plan on keeping in the tank.

SCA 50 Cube 24x24x20

Soft and LPS for now, but want to leave the door open for some SPS in the future. I know the lighting demands drastically change when you add the possibility of SPS, but I want to see what options are out there

My current light is a generic Philzon blackbox. It does the job I guess? but just a few months in I am already frustrated with it. I am not able to get any consistency with a schedule because it has no automation whatsoever. Also just having general issues with finding the right color spectrums manually.

I am looking to stay at $300 or less for this so I am sure that probably eliminates a few options out there. The only light i can really find that would do the job in my budget range so far is the Ocean Revive T247. Every other light that I have looked at seems like it recommends at least X2.

I am welcome to all feedback and recommendations so do not hesitate to reply. If there is enough feedback I am willing to adjust on budget if it is truly something that is going to help improve my tank for the better.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless you're looking to do some DIY to get more control out of your BB, for around $300 or less there aren't a ton of options. You could take a look at something like Noopsyche K17 pro II, which run $150-175 each and you could try swing for 2. There's also SB Reef Lights, something like the 18" WiFi Extreme (silly name), it's a blackbox so it's not going to win any beauty contests, but it has a custom layout which seems to work well, moonlights, and wifi control for ramp up and down; can be had for $205 now on their site. Support from SB reef seems to be 50/50, either great or extremely hard if not impossible to get a hold of (3rd part reporting).

Ocean Revive (the company) is no longer so whatever warranty was there is null and void as the only left is old stock.

Cheers!

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would see what the best light you can get used is. I have a SCA 50 cube and I upgraded from 3x current usa marine orbit to a used Orphek v4 this summer and I could not be happier.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your budget. There are a few lights I would recommend and will light up to a 24x24 area quite well. For under $200 Noopsyche K7 is a decent option and users are giving them good reviews. The remote to controll the lights seems to be a little hard to figure out though but not a huge deal. For sub $400 there is the Hydra 32HD and the Red Sea Reef LED 90w are both really nice. Both have great spread. The Red Sea is very user friendly and simple to setup, blending of the diodes is perfect and the light gives off some nice shimmer lines. I have seen these in person on 2 different tanks and I can say they are nice lights, 2 cover a 4ft tank very nicely. The Hyrda is a proven light for growing corals and has a great comdo of diodes. With the recent release of the new 32 and 64 HD lights AI only seems to have improved on the Hydra line up. If you have a larger budget then go with the Radion XR-30 or XR-30 Pro either one will more than do the job. Many people recommend the Pro version but in the real world unless you have a tank 30" or deeper you just dont need the power of the Pro. If you are on a really lower budget the 165w Viparspectra is IMO the best light for under $130, they can be found for between $100-125 on Ebay or Amazon.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go to my LFS here shortly to get some opinions as well. I have decided to probably go with either one hydra 26 or one hydra 32. I know the 26 is the old model, but didn't they make the 32 non wifi? I just want to be able to have some controllability remotely if needed. If the wifi isn't a big factor then I will just go with the hydra 32.

Will one hydra be good enough for my tank dimensions?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many running 2x26hd/32hd over 48" tanks so I would think I 26HD/32hd would suffice for a 24x24x20 tank.

Two prime 16HD might get you better coverage.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. I’d consider flexing that budget another $100 and look into the reef breeders photon v2+ 16 or 24. If not that a pair of ai prime 16’s

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the sca50 with 2 prime HDs

if i were doing it all over again i think i'd have started with the aquatic life t5 hybrid. just use the t5s to start off for lps/softies i think that'd be enough light for them. then later on down the road if you want to do sps you can add an LED of some sort.

that said the 2 primes is probably fine, i think i'm just a little low on PAR for high demand acros. seems to grow other sps fine, but acros only seem to do well on my really high up rock

if you really want to take a risk, i bought a euroquatics light a month or so ago. same deal as the ocean revives as the company is no more, so if it breaks you're on your own. but it's a 150w LED for like $120

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Hydra 32HD. No mounts in stock but I should have one by Monday. Hope I made a good decision.

IMG_20191227_193029.jpg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted these in my build thread but thought I would post them here just to update everyone on what the lights look like on the tank. I have them on a schedule but these pictures were just taken with the basic lights on function in the AI app.

IMG_20200103_200309.jpg
IMG_20200103_194921.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back