OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not a clue where my salinty is.... Apex probe is useless. Readings jump all over the map all day every day. Calibrated numerous times and moved around the sump.just cant trust it.

New Hanna wand says 41ppt out ofbthe box. I dropped salinty to 36ppt using that and after a calibration it still reads 36ppt. Refractometer says 30ppt even after calibrating to 35ppt.

Im leaning towards the Hanna being most accurate only because as soon as I tuned the tank to that number my Mag/Calcium fell into a range I expect for 35ppt With the salt Ive been using since Day 1. Never could figure out why it was always elevated.

long story short Im a mess lately!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a recipe for salinity calibration fluid to check refractometer but am due to recheck so thanks for reminder. So easy to forget something and slip up. Like you said gotta stay on toes get complacent out of the groove and Murphy will eat your lunch

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mess of a state we are in and the fact you are tied to it because of your job has piled on the stress and the work load. Sorry for it all corey. It will bounce back once ur back to their happy zone. Hang tough. 2 of my monti's have all but bleached and loss a stick on the frag rack. Sucks.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not a clue where my salinty is.... Apex probe is useless. Readings jump all over the map all day every day. Calibrated numerous times and moved around the sump.just cant trust it.

New Hanna wand says 41ppt out ofbthe box. I dropped salinty to 36ppt using that and after a calibration it still reads 36ppt. Refractometer says 30ppt even after calibrating to 35ppt.

Im leaning towards the Hanna being most accurate only because as soon as I tuned the tank to that number my Mag/Calcium fell into a range I expect for 35ppt With the salt Ive been using since Day 1. Never could figure out why it was always elevated.

I am pretty sure im gonna drop the money and get mailwaukee and hanna exclusively. @GoVols has been through the pits finding the best ones that work with his alkatronic, bells, whistles, etc.. Might spend more on testing kits than live rock. Heh

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure im gonna drop the money and get mailwaukee and hanna exclusively. @GoVols has been through the pits finding the best ones that work with his alkatronic, bells, whistles, etc.. Might spend more on testing kits than live rock. Heh
Havent kept up with Freddie’s thread in a while but Im sure he did his research. IDK. Its weird thinking you've been doing it right inly to find out you probably havent... Hanna’s been pretty accurate for me elsewhere so I tend to lean that way.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad days but we knew they were coming. Big Tangs headed for bigger tanks when we’ll bring in a couple of Jr’s.

PBTYellow and Angel will head for new homes.

444F42E1-CC6C-4452-966B-450D7C6C2EA2.jpeg

7D05B440-DF83-4618-B414-076094BB5088.jpeg

4C0928EE-B596-44E8-9ADF-2E131F70019B.jpeg

Jr Purple, Chocolate and CBB will move in.

CFF25BAD-638B-4E96-B1F1-998FA92FBEEA.jpeg

43022DD0-1A47-4A0C-AEF3-24079270CFAE.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You folks are talking about salinity testers, I like the hanna pen
Been consistent for me. I have a Milwaukee somewhere if someone needs one. Its It's always consistently a point off.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Hanna but I have a refractometer to fall back on. The Hanna was spot on to my refractometer using the same reference solution.

@GoVols said the Milwaukee PO4 meter was junk I thought.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor. I keep a calibration fluid handy I made using Dr. Randy’s recipe. It is temperature compensated and measures conductivity.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol

Rich,
Don't get the Milwaukee phos checker / click on reviews and read mine... :(

The new Hanna ULR PPM checker is your best bet.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor. I keep a calibration fluid handy I made using Dr. Randy’s recipe. It is temperature compensated and measures conductivity.

Brain,
That's the one that Randy recommends

Still like my Vee Gee refractometer, if you prefer that route, it's been solid as a rock.

@Scurvy
If you're having struggles you will overcome!!

My reef is dealing with really high nitrates, but over time they are going to get dialed back in, one way or another. I stopped water changes for 3.5 to 4 months and paying the price as well, but it's also a time to get out of the box (for me) and try to learn something new.

Just stay with it and keep your patients.

Freddie

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry to hear about the PBT and Yellow but the Chocolate (Pyroferus ?) is one of my faves. Well mannered.
Not a surprise as I knew when I got the Yellow and PBT they'd eventually need to move onto larger systems. The Yellow could probably stick around another year here but if Im going to upset the balance I figure it best to do in one shot rather than multiple times. I also doubt the Yellow wouldever accept the Copperband.

Pyroferus is also a favorite of mine so far as Tangs go. Im a wrasse guy like you but the Tangs bring a little diversity into the tank. Pyroferus dont all turn into stunners but the ones that do can be amazing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back