Status
Not open for further replies.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the water in the exterior box set as high as will allow without risking an overflow if the weir teeth are removed or fall out while the return is running. Water enters the exterior box at a height of about half of the bulkhead fittings. Additionally, the secondary cannot be raised any more than it already is or it will reside outside of the exterior box and the cover will not fit as it should.
The problem is that the external box is improperly designed. The external box should be as high as the internal box which will fix multiple issues, 1. prevent potential overflow during startups and 2. allow to set your water height inside the box properly. Exotic Marine designed their overflow with this in mind.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also let me correct the above statement. Reef savvy also adressed this issues making the rear box the same height of the internal box. The shadow from synergy still has an improperly designed rear overflow box.

Last edited:

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new upgraded Real Reef savvy ghost over flow you can see how the rear box is higher and matches the internal box.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy ... I wrestled with this one before I finally got it working flawlessly. Some points:
- I assume you are using a gate valve. Essential for the fine adjustment
- the 3 pieces of PVC that come with it won't necessarily work for you
- be prepared to experiment with the PVC pieces
- one of my 2 syphon drains has a modified 90 degree - shaved on the bottom to open it up
- I found that the centre pipe worked best as the flow control
- I increased the size of the centre return pipe - bigger opening less noise
- by tweeking the height of all three pipes, you can get it so there is no waterfall from tank to overflow box
- when you finally get it running silent, resist the urge to tweek if it gets noisy
- the occurrence of noise - after it has become silent, will probably be a small change in return volume
- after the tank runs silent, make the water level in the DT
- tequila helps make the entire experience much more enjoyable
- shrimp and snails will invariable discover how much fun the slide to the sump is

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also let me correct the above statement. Reef savvy also adressed this issues making the rear box the same height of the internal box. The shadow from synergy still has an improperly designed rear overflow box.

Here you can see the improperly designed shadow rear box how is way lower than the internal box.

IMG_0015.JPG

@iiluisii The Ghost and Shadow were both designed by myself. Reef Savvy took our design and tweaked it because we no longer allowed them to use our design. Their change in design was made for that reason. The rear box on the Shadow is designed to be lower that the front box for different reasons and has been that way since we originally released the Ghost. With over 3000 perfectly functioning Synergy and Shadow overflows, I really hate to burst your bubble about the shadow being "Improperly designed". Most of the issues are plumbing related and our customer easily fix the issue with their plumbing. Not sure when you became an expert on our overflow since you have never used one and we have done thousands of hours of testing and design on. Trying to public bash because of personal reasons is pretty lame.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@iiluisii The Ghost and Shadow were both designed by myself. Reef Savvy took our design and tweaked it because we no longer allowed them to use our design. Their change in design was made for that reason. The rear box on the Shadow is designed to be lower that the front box for different reasons and has been that way since we originally released the Ghost. With over 3000 perfectly functioning Synergy and Shadow overflows, I really hate to burst your bubble about the shadow being "Improperly designed". Most of the issues are plumbing related and our customer easily fix the issue with their plumbing. Not sure when you became an expert on our overflow since you have never used one and we have done thousands of hours of testing and design on. Trying to public bash because of personal reasons is pretty lame.

If it doesn't work as intended using the instructions I'd argue that the problem isn't plumbing related. How can users go about correcting this issue, regardless of reason.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your comments still show up in my emails I guess I go ahead and entertain your ignorance. Not public bashing due to personal reason and not public bashing at all actually making a correct statement. Since when I'm a profesional in overflows I guess since I started the hobby because is an easy simple problem to figure out no rocket science behind it only numbers. The expert claim it's funny to me since I know when you started building Legit looking acrylic stuff ; ) any how no need to go back and forth and get hostile all I'm doing is helping a fellow reefer figure why he has noise problems.
Happy reefing.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't work as intended using the instructions I'd argue that the problem isn't plumbing related. How can users go about correcting this issue, regardless of reason.

@madweazl Every tank has different plumbing configurations, pumps ect. There is no way we could tell everyone how to plumb their overflow exactly with the instructions. The instructions provide a starting point and then the user would modify the pipes in their plumbing config to dial it in.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your comments still show up in my emails I guess I go ahead and entertain your ignorance. Not public bashing due to personal reason and not public bashing at all actually making a correct statement. Since when I'm a profesional in overflows I guess since I started the hobby because is an easy simple problem to figure out no rocket science behind it only numbers. The expert claim it's funny to me since I know when you started building Legit looking acrylic stuff ; ) any how no need to go back and forth and get hostile all I'm doing is helping a fellow reefer figure why he has noise problems.
Happy reefing.

Please provide a solution to the fellow reefer's noise problem then. All you stated was that the Shadow was improperly designed. This is just a uneducated guess as you have never even used one of our shadow overflows. You mentioned this "The problem is that the external box is improperly designed. The external box should be as high as the internal box which will fix multiple issues, 1. prevent potential overflow during startups and 2. allow to set your water height inside the box properly. " This is not a solution, just a bash.

I will address what you said and explain why this is incorrect. Again improperly plumbing anything can cause issues.
1: With the Shadow the rear box lid is sealed and creates a vacuum thus NO water can escape during startup. Also the 1.5" plumbing also makes it impossible to overflow during startup. Again this is dependent on the plumbing that the user does. Sure you can put 3 pipes in there that are higher that the top and flood anything.
2: This makes not sense as it is very easy to set you water height inside the rear box when it is plumbed properly.

Stop by our booth at MACNA this year and we will personally show you this overflow in action.

Please refer to our main thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...-reef-has-arrived.264816/page-16#post-3847620 for more information as we answer most questions there quicker.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide a solution to the fellow reefer's noise problem then. All you stated was that the Shadow was improperly designed. This is just a uneducated guess as you have never even used one of our shadow overflows. You mentioned this "The problem is that the external box is improperly designed. The external box should be as high as the internal box which will fix multiple issues, 1. prevent potential overflow during startups and 2. allow to set your water height inside the box properly. " This is not a solution, just a bash.

I will address what you said and explain why this is incorrect. Again improperly plumbing anything can cause issues.
1: With the Shadow the rear box lid is sealed and creates a vacuum thus NO water can escape during startup. Also the 1.5" plumbing also makes it impossible to overflow during startup. Again this is dependent on the plumbing that the user does. Sure you can put 3 pipes in there that are higher that the top and flood anything.
2: This makes not sense as it is very easy to set you water height inside the rear box when it is plumbed properly.

Stop by our booth at MACNA this year and we will personally show you this overflow in action.

Please refer to our main thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-shadow™-overflow-from-synergy-reef-has-arrived.264816/page-16#post-3847620 for more information as we answer most questions there pretty fast.

Incorrect as we have lots of people on here that run well over 4000 GPH and have made it silent. The recommended pipe sizes are meant to be a basic starting point. They are not the only size that works. All tanks will require some tweaking of the pipes. The pipes inside the rear box have to be adjusted to your flow rate in order for the overflow to be silent. Changing the amount of flow means that the pipes need to be adjusted as well.

Ah I would disagree To the quote to me

Justin

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still disagree

Last edited:
OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while so I thought that I would update my progress in my efforts to quiet my Shadow overflow. Mainly I have focused most of my attention on experimenting with the heights of the exterior overflow box tubes. At the moment am running the height of the main siphon with a 2" riser. The secondary is a 3" riser and the emergency drain is cut at 5". It is not dead silent yet and I am still using some plastic canvas in the interior box to reduce noise but I believe that I am making good progress. My next tweek I think that I may try adding another 1/2"- 3/4" to the second riser, which will make it 3.5" - 3.75". This in turn would raise the level in the interior box and may help to eliminate the need for a diffuser.
That is about all for now, I will keep you updated as I progress.
Thank you,
Tom

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please refer to our main thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-shadow™-overflow-from-synergy-reef-has-arrived.264816/page-16#post-3847620 for more information as we answer most questions there quicker.
Uneducated guess umm well as I own a so call knock off that in every way outperforms the shadow I guess I will have to educate you.

It's simple math, measure the rear shadow overflow box height and with any way you configure the pipes the level won't be right therefore creating noise unless you run it at dangerous water level height. Again simple math. And this is what I addressed to the user stating that this is why it won't work right. So yes I'm helping a reefer understand why it's not working right and not batshing

Now let me address your frustarated statements.

#1 and #2 the shadow rear box sealed.
You mean the lid that snaps in place, is this statement something you came up as a guess? How is supposed to vacuum seal if it's not able to be vacuum seal in the first place it's just snaps in place lol. The rear box was designed in that way to be able to clear the tanks with trim around them because the rear box it's to close to the glass, which most manufactures of other overflow boxes have addressed this issue changing the design bringing the box up level with the internal box and adding a spacer allowing the box to be universal and properly functioning.

We all know it's is easy to blame the user and In most cases the user is the problem but in this case is not. The overflow is improperly designed.

There's plenty of people already discussing this in other forums and reviews from user claiming this issues bellow:

1. 1.5 inch pipes not fitting correctly in the drain fitting due to wrong tolerance.

2. Drain fittings splitting due to not being one piece as it claims to be.

3. Noise problems

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@iiluisii and @mixer911 do you guys know each other personally? I see you're both from the same area of the country.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back