Started my day with compassion

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 minutes boy that’s sure be a long time ,,what do you do for the other 12 minutes
Dang, I was wondering if anyone was going to quote "Grease". LOL

Kenickie: Girls are only good for one thing

Sonny: Yeah, and what are you suppose to do with them for the other 23 hours and 45 mintues of the day?

Putzie: Is that all it takes? Fifteen mintues?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i was picturing "pee wee" in "porkys " end of movie scene ,after paulie's comment :p

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic thread @Paulie069 .

Amazing your one act of doing for another sparked such conversation. Only a couple hundred million more people to get on board with you and have them start their days with compassion. ;)

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy it was rough being nice today I work with a bunch of idiots that have no clue I’m taking pride in their work maybe it’s just me baby I’m old and set in my ways and come from the age of when you do it you do it right but nowadays it’s like they just want to put a Band-Aid on crap and walk away from it it was a very trying day on my patients but I definitely managed to keep my faith and try to make somebody’s day just a little nicer I bought a coffee for the guy behind me without him knowing at Wawa today and I just walked out without saying anything

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was picturing "pee wee" in "porkys " end of movie scene ,after paulie's comment :p
Porkies was the best movie of all time,, shower scene when bulla ball breaker grabs guys junk coming thru hole in girls shower,, laughing just thinking about it

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my peeps enough of being silly
I’d love to hear from you folks from different countries and hear a story of an ,,AOK. act of kindness,, don’t be shy , we need inspirational stories in times like this just to know that there is still some good in this world. God Bless

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew we were brothers, somehow and now it all makes sense; Same mothers!

I stayed inside all-day today, and my neighbors are probably happy! :) It's the little things, right!

How do I nominate my brother for the Hospitality Badge? I have a hard time following instructions on here, Rev. so I'm just gonna leave this right here.
giphy.gif

Big brother hugs @Paulie069
Bump

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paulie, you are a good man. I only met you once and you made me some really nice linguine and clams. :D
You also sent me a really cool creature that is still living in the front of my tank.

I am going to try to continue this thread about acts of kindness because I think it is important especially now when most of the country is divided and we are dealing with a deadly virus at the same time.

Since I was about 25 I have been playing Santa Claus for kids but for the last ten years or so I played at a hospital in Manhattan. NYU has a floor which is just for experimental cancer treatments for children and infants who don't have a good chance of being cured and they have exhausted all other treatments. It is their last chance.

They usually have about 50 or 75 kids there and I think about 40% of them never make it home. Their parents are there living with them.
WE would go with two or three gourneys of toys and the social workers who are really angels sent from God, tell us about each child and we decide which toy to give them.

The social workers would tell me about the kid so I could make up a story to tell them like "I flew over their house last night and saw their dog "Yoda" outside and Rudolf went to play with him".
The nurses would sterilize my hands and I was the only one allowed into the rooms. Many of the rooms were quarantined so I had to stand in the doorway.

What really broke my heart were the kids who were a little better and they grabbed my hand and begged for me to take them with me to the North Pole. That was a hard conversation to get out of.

The vast majority of kids are much to weak to even lift their head to accept the toy but I always got a smile. Many of the children had siblings and they played with most of the toys in another room.

About half of the patients were babies or infants and they, and almost all of the kids there had so many tiny wires coming out of their heads and tubes going in all places that sometimes you could barely see their face. Many of the babies would die soon and the parents knew that so they wanted me to take a picture with him or her.

The nurse would lift the baby and put her in my arms. It took two or three people to do this due to all the wires and tubes of all sizes. Of course I had a big beard on with glasses and could hardly see and I was scared to death every time I did this as these babies were tiny and the spider web of wires caused extreme anxiety in my. I didn't know what would happen if something came loose.

Most of the babies were to weak to cry and I tried to cradle their head, tubes and wires without tangling them in my beard which almost all the time happened and they had to separate them from me.

The parents smiled and took a picture while I usually cried silently.
Of course they couldn't see I was doing that and the nurses always told me we all had to look happy and "up" and could never show sadness. They told me that in between rooms. When I would go home and remove my beard, it was soaked with tears.

Holding a tiny baby who will most likely die in a day or so is not something I can easily smile and be "up" about and that was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

After many years of doing that, I just couldn't do it any more. At age 65 I quit.
I feel very bad and think of those kids all the time, but the thought of holding one more very sick baby just cuts through me and after many years, I had to stop.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is gonna come thru but this clip bought tear to my eye
Paulie, you are a good man. I only met you once and you made me some really nice linguine and clams. :D
You also sent me a really cool creature that is still living in the front of my tank.

I am going to try to continue this thread about acts of kindness because I think it is important especially now when most of the country is divided and we are dealing with a deadly virus at the same time.

Since I was about 25 I have been playing Santa Claus for kids but for the last ten years or so I played at a hospital in Manhattan. NYU has a floor which is just for experimental cancer treatments for children and infants who don't have a good chance of being cured and they have exhausted all other treatments. It is their last chance.

They usually have about 50 or 75 kids there and I think about 40% of them never make it home. Their parents are there living with them.
WE would go with two or three gourneys of toys and the social workers who are really angels sent from God, tell us about each child and we decide which toy to give them.

The social workers would tell me about the kid so I could make up a story to tell them like "I flew over their house last night and saw their dog "Yoda" outside and Rudolf went to play with him".
The nurses would sterilize my hands and I was the only one allowed into the rooms. Many of the rooms were quarantined so I had to stand in the doorway.

What really broke my heart were the kids who were a little better and they grabbed my hand and begged for me to take them with me to the North Pole. That was a hard conversation to get out of.

The vast majority of kids are much to weak to even lift their head to accept the toy but I always got a smile. Many of the children had siblings and they played with most of the toys in another room.

About half of the patients were babies or infants and they, and almost all of the kids there had so many tiny wires coming out of their heads and tubes going in all places that sometimes you could barely see their face. Many of the babies would die soon and the parents knew that so they wanted me to take a picture with him or her.

The nurse would lift the baby and put her in my arms. It took two or three people to do this due to all the wires and tubes of all sizes. Of course I had a big beard on with glasses and could hardly see and I was scared to death every time I did this as these babies were tiny and the spider web of wires caused extreme anxiety in my. I didn't know what would happen if something came loose.

Most of the babies were to weak to cry and I tried to cradle their head, tubes and wires without tangling them in my beard which almost all the time happened and they had to separate them from me.

The parents smiled and took a picture while I usually cried silently.
Of course they couldn't see I was doing that and the nurses always told me we all had to look happy and "up" and could never show sadness. They told me that in between rooms. When I would go home and remove my beard, it was soaked with tears.

Holding a tiny baby who will most likely die in a day or so is not something I can easily smile and be "up" about and that was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

After many years of doing that, I just couldn't do it any more. At age 65 I quit.
I feel very bad and think of those kids all the time, but the thought of holding one more very sick baby just cuts through me and after many years, I had to stop.

My brother it’s hard to respond to this post because everything is so blurry because my eyes are all teary. What a wonderful soul you have Paul.B. I’ve liked you from the first post of yours I ever read and went back to page one of your thread just to catch up. We’re two of a kind and I’m a better person just to know you. God Bless you buddy(friends for life)
I know I texted you this yesterday but again
Happy Veterans Day and THANK YOU for making this a better place to live. Much love to your wife also hoping she is feeling as well as she can

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok last night was a rough one ,, I couldn’t sleep as my mind would not shut down. I guess telling my life’s story is bringing up a lot of buried things I’ve forgotten about for so long. Uggh ,, so I got maybe hour n half of sleep then at 4.30 this morning I got a emergency call and I’m on site since 6. Am this morning and looks like I might be here till 10am tomorrow morning Gonna be a long one and I find it grab any Oregano darn

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok last night was a rough one ,, I couldn’t sleep as my mind would not shut down. I guess telling my life’s story is bringing up a lot of buried things I’ve forgotten about for so long. Uggh ,, so I got maybe hour n half of sleep then at 4.30 this morning I got a emergency call and I’m on site since 6. Am this morning and looks like I might be here till 10am tomorrow morning Gonna be a long one and I find it grab any Oregano darn
Hope you can make it through the day and let your thoughts rest!
I often have the problem of not being able to shut down my mind, so I have to find ways to guide into thoughts about helpful things. Ruminating on the past is hard sometimes, since we cannot change our past, nor can we control what others do (past, present, or future). The best we can do is learn from our past and shape the example we set for others into kindness and helpfulness. Sorrow and suffering often is the catalyst toward bettering us when we learn from the past to overcome it and help the situations around us.

It also helps to think about others who have things much worse than me, since I really have a very blessed life with such small problems (even though I think they are large sometimes).

Reefing has gone both directions for me: helped take my mind off other things and keep my mind going about everything I could do with my reef.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can make it through the day and let your thoughts rest!
I often have the problem of not being able to shut down my mind, so I have to find ways to guide into thoughts about helpful things. Ruminating on the past is hard sometimes, since we cannot change our past, nor can we control what others do (past, present, or future). The best we can do is learn from our past and shape the example we set for others into kindness and helpfulness. Sorrow and suffering often is the catalyst toward bettering us when we learn from the past to overcome it and help the situations around us.

It also helps to think about others who have things much worse than me, since I really have a very blessed life with such small problems (even though I think they are large sometimes).

Reefing has gone both directions for me: helped take my mind off other things and keep my mind going about everything I could do with my reef.
Thank you for your kind words and nice knowing that I’m not alone. God Bless you

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to my babbling story ,, I believe I left off talking about my brothers and also the fact I ran away to Utah. Utah was a great place where the girls were gullible and the weed was cheap (I was in heaven) I was staying with a friend and his wife in a house and had my own room , my friend worked overnight shift and I was left alone with his wife (big mistake) one night after getting drunk with her I decided to take a shower and when I got out and went to my room she was in there butt naked and well ,, I’m a guy,, so I’m sure you can guess where this is going so I’ll stop here to keep it as close to PG as I can. I was out there 6 months total and kept up extra affair with my buddy’s wife. I know I was a pig,, but I was young dumb and full of ———- well one of my good friends back in Jersey was getting married and I was part of wedding party (his side) and that’s where I met my wife. She was on brides side of wedding I’ll never forget when I saw her the first time ,, I was trying to be the player I was and said to her “ hey sweetie nice tan lines maybe later I’ll see the rest” she looked at me and said “ go away pig I know who you are”” Boy talk about being shot down. Little did I know at the time she was the one that was gonna save me and change my life 180 degrees for the better
Still a little heart ache to tell ,, but that will be later on. Trying to figure out how to tell the story of when my son died in my arms. I can’t even think about without breaking down. But it will make you cry when I do tell that part

Back