Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that may not be enough to kill it. My Lithium went from 225 to 2626 when I raised my Magnesium about 260. Most people who have reported success with Tech-M need to raise Mag at least 200-300 to see changes.

I was not trying to argue against what you were saying. I was clumsily trying to respond to your request for other triton results, and so trying to raise the lower bound on the data to indicate that ~400 ug/l is not enough. So a modified hypothesis might be that somewhere above that 400 ug/l it starts working. A design of experiment might be to try increasing levels above that until it reached your highest level to try to establish effectiveness and at what level.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vanadium was elevated in a previous sample I sent as well. I think it must be coming from my salt mix. My Mo was the same before too. So, as with yours, it appears the lithium is what rose most significantly after dosing the tech m.

Thanks for posting hatfielj. Do you have any ideas where your Vanadium is coming from? Did it rise substantially after dosing Tech-M?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got to wonder, if the lithium is able to kill bryopsis, what is it doing to the corals and fish?

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got to wonder, if the lithium is able to kill bryopsis, what is it doing to the corals and fish?

Well it appears to cause them to lighten. Its odd really. My acros didn't change but some of my Zoas have become pastel like. Acans are fine but one Leptastrea lightened up a lot (the others like John Deer are the same).

All in all I would call it an odd effect.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it appears to cause them to lighten. Its odd really. My acros didn't change but some of my Zoas have become pastel like. Acans are fine but one Leptastrea lightened up a lot (the others like John Deer are the same).

All in all I would call it an odd effect.

Sounds like it killed some of the zoox, or at least caused them to be expelled.

bobstir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my lithium levels are very high as well (as reported from triton). I've been dosing tech m for quite some time as well. At one point it was to control bryopsis, but now that it is gone, i just use it to maintain my mg levels albeit I still run on the high end at 1400-1500ppm.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are your Lithium levels, bobstir? Anything else (such as Vanadium or Molybdenum) showing high as well?

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to try a frag tank with bryopsis and lithium dosing. I have everything I need except the lithium too. Unfortunately with hot weather already here, the room the tank would be in would make it far too hot without a chiller which I don't have.

bobstir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threads like these make me really miss Randy Holmes-Farley and others like him. Anyone who know's anything about the scientific method would cringe at that first post there. I'm all for experimenting, but come on....

You don't have to miss him because he's a mod here. :) Randy Holmes-Farley

He must think he's on that "other" forum hahaha.

Last couple posts from this guy have been nothing but trolling here.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to try a frag tank with bryopsis and lithium dosing. I have everything I need except the lithium too. Unfortunately with hot weather already here, the room the tank would be in would make it far too hot without a chiller which I don't have.

Funny enough, Unique sold out of the Triton Lithium like a day after I posted this thread. I think a few people want to try it. Only problem I see is trying to figure out the dosage amount.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, Unique sold out of the Trigon Lithium like a day after I posted this thread. I think a few people want to try it. Only problem I see is trying to figure out the dosage amount.

*AHEM*:

Very interesting! Lithium chloride is readily available, e.g., lab grade lithium chloride, 100g for sale. Buy from the science company.. If you take 2.312 grams of LiCl, and dissolve it in 1 liter of water, then 1 ml of that solution added to 100 gallons of tank water will increase the Li content of that water by 1 ppm.

EDIT: I can't seem to get the post to preserve upper case letters correctly. I don't know why.

Last edited:

Whitenoise3k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this work with hair algae?

Has anyone every used Kent's Tech M to kill hair algae? Does it work? Also any worry about it killing chaeto algae is the system?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it also is the ingredient that slows dinoflagellate growth and gha

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use aquaroche or ceramics? Recent tests have shown aquaroche to leech vanadium quite badly.

Not to get too far off topic, FWIW, my vanadium levels are double what they should be according my first triton test and I do have an aquaroche column in my tank for 2 years now. I also have elevated lithium without ever using techM. It is most likely from the Bionic salt or their Ca, Alk, or Mg I think. To bring it back on topic I have no bryopsis.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back