Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is lithium the secret ingredient that kills Bry or not?
Dunno yet. I've tried a few times to get someone to send me some Bryopsis, but that still has not happened yet. If someone would ship me some Bryopsis, I'd be happy to conduct a little experiment. I have a container of lithium chloride I've purchased just for this project. :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dunno yet. I've tried a few times to get someone to send me some Bryopsis, but that still has not happened yet. If someone would ship me some Bryopsis, I'd be happy to conduct a little experiment. I have a container of lithium chloride I've purchased just for this project. :D

I hope someone takes you up on that offer so you can post your results for us!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will supply the Bryopsis good sir! I'll be following up with a PM to you.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used my leftover Tech M to dose up Mg the past two years. My lithium was 4,079 ppb last year. No vanadium detection. I sent off another Triton sample this year for my annual test. I'll update with that level when I have it.

Tank seems fine.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/44432/StevensPatricia1975.pdf

Interesting they seem to be using LiCl to break down algal cell walls here.

I don't know if/how it's related, but they do mention that Bryopsis and Caulerpa are unique (among their samples?) for having xylan as the major structural polysaccharide. (vs. cellulose or some combination)

See post #84, #106 and #121 for the complete story....this wasn't a good link, but found one later!!!

Updated 10/23: @Rick.45cal@Kungpaoshizi @Sabellafella

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used my leftover Tech M to dose up Mg the past two years. My lithium was 4,079 ppb last year. No vanadium detection. I sent off another Triton sample this year for my annual test. I'll update with that level when I have it.

Tank seems fine.

That's a beautiful tank friend!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got plenty Bryopsis to go around, and I'm willing to ship to anyone that wants to help out. Hit me up, it's on my dime!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What role does O2 have in Bryopsis growth? It seems like the places that have the highest flow rate in my tank have the highest Bryopsis growth rate as well. Is this just a coincidence, or does oxygen rich environment cause Bryopsis to grow more?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What role does O2 have in Bryopsis growth? It seems like the places that have the highest flow rate in my tank have the highest Bryopsis growth rate as well. Is this just a coincidence, or does oxygen rich environment cause Bryopsis to grow more?
Interesting observation. When I had it in my old system, it would mainly populate on sump baffles or overflows where the highest flow/aeration occurred in my tank.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I use more flow than what's considered normal in my 20g. I have a 800gph powerhead, and 525gph canister filter. Both run all the time except when I feed.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back when Julian Sprung spoke at our club about 10 years or so ago on algae. He suggested it likes higher flow not so much from Carbon Dioxide or Oxygen levels as you mention but the higher the flow the more dissolved nutrients and trace elements such as iron/zinc/molybdenum and whatever other elements they need . Just like algae in a stream would when nutrients are scarce.

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when Julian Sprung spoke at our club about 10 years or so ago on algae. He suggested it likes higher flow not so much from Carbon Dioxide or Oxygen levels as you mention but the higher the flow the more dissolved nutrients and trace elements such as iron/zinc/molybdenum and whatever other elements they need . Just like algae in a stream would when nutrients are scarce.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bagged and shipping out tomorrow @JimWelsh

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Tank seems fine.

I don't know. Your tank looks a little a rough... HAHA!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back