Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news is that not only have I not killed it, but it appears to be quite happy and growing! Now, I just need to get a couple of other small rocks populated with it, so I can do an experiment using a couple of different Li levels, while also maintaining a control. Stay tuned.....

Awesome! I don't know why I was just thinking you were going to dose the sent sample one time and be done! :p

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the consensus is to use Continuum Magnesium dosing to kill bryopsis and not Tech M at this time?

Im in mid test with Continuum right now. Im not convinced of anything at this time. The Bryopsis has only grown and spread.

I wanted to bring something up as many people seem to believe the same thing here, and am going to have to disagree. Im talking about the clear/white tips thats is seen on the bryopsis. I dont think this is a sign of the algae dying, I think its just the opposite. I believe this is new growth. Now if your seeing the Bryopsis becoming translucent from tip to base then maybe that is evidence of the Bry dying. In my situation that is not the case. Ill also say that if the feathery pieces are missing it also doesnt mean the algae is dying. I believe this is a form of reproduction. Like dandelion seeds blowing in the wind. I could be wrong but i am not seeing this algea die in any way. I'll follow up as I get more data to share. The bottle of Vivid will be here soon. Once it is I will begin that test, and we still have Jim working on his end with LiCl concentrate and my sample.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, the tech-m in high amounts over a decent amount of time didn't work for everyone. It didn't for me when I had bryopsis back in 2009. A magnificent foxface did though ;)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is that not only have I not killed it, but it appears to be quite happy and growing! Now, I just need to get a couple of other small rocks populated with it, so I can do an experiment using a couple of different Li levels, while also maintaining a control. Stay tuned.....
That's a bummer, I was hopeful it would do the trick. Maybe higher levels will make a difference.. Here's to hoping..:rolleyes:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer, I was hopeful it would do the trick. Maybe higher levels will make a difference.. Here's to hoping..:rolleyes:
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear -- I haven't yet tried to experiment with lithium levels to get the Bryopsis to die. I was referring to my earlier comment that I tend to kill the first culture of almost everything I get! The Bryopsis is still alive, despite my husbandry efforts! Once I get it to spread to a couple of different small rocks, then the actual experiment can begin.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear -- I haven't yet tried to experiment with lithium levels to get the Bryopsis to die. I was referring to my earlier comment that I tend to kill the first culture of almost everything I get! The Bryopsis is still alive, despite my husbandry efforts! Once I get it to spread to a couple of different small rocks, then the actual experiment can begin.
Gottcha:)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just curious. Did it die back at all from shipping and being in a new environment?

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, the tech-m in high amounts over a decent amount of time didn't work for everyone. It didn't for me when I had bryopsis back in 2009. A magnificent foxface did though ;)
I agree with the comment that did not work for me either I just stopped treatment and did multiple water changes as what it did do was melt a few Rasta colonies

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bblumberg, that wasn't the right reference before, but LiCl does seem to have a potential play here after all:
https://echa.europa.eu/registration-dossier/-/registered-dossier/5223/6/2/6

Lithium chloride's effect on algae is not untold.

Not sure it's been tested against Bryopsis specifically, but hey it's something! :)

Good find. Apparently, in the experiments done, 400 PPM of LiCl inhibited the algae growth by ~35%. People are reporting concentrations as high as 2000 PPM after using TechM so maybe this is the magic ingredient after all. Unfortunately, all of the information in the article regarding effects on fish and invertebrates tested fresh water organisms (trout and Daphnia) so I wonder how much LiCl it will take to harm our reef tank organisms. Sounds like an interesting experiment for someone with time and materials....

Bruce

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was actually a lot from me when i removed the galaxea frag off that rock. About half was attached.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update: I'm continuing to get other small rocks seeded with it, and once those are grown out nicely, the experiment will begin. Not sure exactly how long that will take, but I expect it will be just a few weeks.

Sounds great Jim!

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good find. Apparently, in the experiments done, 400 PPM of LiCl inhibited the algae growth by ~35%. People are reporting concentrations as high as 2000 PPM after using TechM so maybe this is the magic ingredient after all. Unfortunately, all of the information in the article regarding effects on fish and invertebrates tested fresh water organisms (trout and Daphnia) so I wonder how much LiCl it will take to harm our reef tank organisms. Sounds like an interesting experiment for someone with time and materials....

Bruce
I didn't read the entire thread but are people reporting 2000 ppm Li or 2000 ppb Li?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bruce

The triton results I have seen that people have posted were Li levels in micrograms per liter, or ppb

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised my Mg from 1350 ppm to 1609 ppm with Kent tech M. The stuff I have basically just transformed, and keeps right on. Nasty stuff. Please keep us updated @stevo01 on how the continuum works (or doesn't). I ordered a gallon I'll beef up my waterchange water with it and just change water for an extended period with it.

Anyone know of a salt mix that is notoriously low in Mg? One that I can maximize the amount of continuum Mg in? (Pretty please)

I may be sourcing a magnificent fox face, if I can also figure out a strategy to introduce him successfully (long term) in a 200 gallon with a large, very angry, very territorial Purple tang and an Ebili mimic that holds his own to the purple tang (He's no slouch either). If long term co-habitation isn't possible then that is a lost cause for me as well.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised my Mg from 1350 ppm to 1609 ppm with Kent tech M. The stuff I have basically just transformed, and keeps right on. Nasty stuff. Please keep us updated @stevo01 on how the continuum works (or doesn't). I ordered a gallon I'll beef up my waterchange water with it and just change water for an extended period with it.

Anyone know of a salt mix that is notoriously low in Mg? One that I can maximize the amount of continuum Mg in? (Pretty please)

I may be sourcing a magnificent fox face, if I can also figure out a strategy to introduce him successfully (long term) in a 200 gallon with a large, very angry, very territorial Purple tang and an Ebili mimic that holds his own to the purple tang (He's no slouch either). If long term co-habitation isn't possible then that is a lost cause for me as well.

Will do and good luck to you with the tangs!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back