Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reeftopia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech M has changed their formula or their formula and is no longer effective against bryopsis. Have used it
to kill bryopsis on many occasions and it was very effective and work within days. Have used it for months now
at a level of about 1800 with no effect. Have seen where others are also reporting the same results

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gary Wilkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too dosed Mg but used the Britewell Mg Hydrat-Mg-

ICP test post treatment

Mg 1624 mg/L
Li 2498 ug/L
Mo 86.69 ug/L

in the past I had to maintenance dose Li to reach set point Mo was always OK
I can confirm the Bryoposis has been killed off, for my system I needed 4 Ltrs and fed in at 2 Ltrs per week to try not to raise Mg too fast

however I do have a friend who is now at 1800 Mg with the same product and its having no effect, so it may only work with specific Bryoposis Sp of which there are many, mine was the one looking like a fern

since the treatment
I found Li and Mo are not removed by Activated Carbon or GFO in huge amounts only water changes have helped to reduce, and the tank consumption

ICP 6 weeks after the treatment and 12 water changes Li 876 ug/L Mo 28.7 ug/L Mg 1508 mg/L

side effects all green pigmented corals lost colour, Acropora Sp were affected more than Montipora Sp worst affected Bali Green Slimer, which almost completely bleached, but is recovering strongly from the tips down, where I though the lack of zoo would have created tip burn
if you are going to do this treatment, I would move the green corals out if possible prior to raising Mg

SPS - Pink and reds lost some colour not that bad say 10 to 20% down Acro Historix Monti
Blue pigments improved Acro's Chalice etc

LPS didn't show any ill effect

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech M has changed their formula or their formula and is no longer effective against bryopsis. Have used it
to kill bryopsis on many occasions and it was very effective and work within days. Have used it for months now
at a level of about 1800 with no effect. Have seen where others are also reporting the same results

I had the same results recently with Tech-m but one day I read on one of the forums that Jack Kent had started a new supplement company called Continuum Aquatics and that their mag supplement is sourced from the original Tech-m source. Well I ordered it and what do you know it obliterated Bryopsis stubbornly attached to a new frag in about a week!

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same results recently with Tech-m but one day I read on one of the forums that Jack Kent had started a new supplement company called Continuum Aquatics and that their mag supplement is sourced from the original Tech-m source. Well I ordered it and what do you know it obliterated Bryopsis stubbornly attached to a new frag in about a week!

how long ago was this and is this what you used
reefbasis_magnesium_d.png

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some to give it a try in my system. How much did you add and at what rate did you add it?

In my 30ish gallon work tank I added about 100ml/day for 5 days and then let it sit without a water change for 3ish weeks. It raised my mg from about 1380-1800 according to my Red Sea pro test kit. IME it worked just like tech-m used to I hope you have the same results!

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30ish gallon work tank I added about 100ml/day for 5 days and then let it sit without a water change for 3ish weeks. It raised my mg from about 1380-1800 according to my Red Sea pro test kit. IME it worked just like tech-m used to I hope you have the same results!

What corals do you have and did you see any effects

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you used the standard Bryopsis dosing treatment, thanks for the reply.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back