Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully somebody can answer this, would it be possible to remove the magnesium from tech-m so that possibly more of the "secret ingredient" could be added to the tank at a time, limiting factor is to high magnesium level in the tank. I know sodium hydroxide will precipitate out the magnesium chrystals. Has anyone ever tried this?

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been suggested that the secret ingredient is missing from the current tech m profile. If that's the case there would be no reason to remove the Mg.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and/or sodium dodecyl sulfate is the most common lysing solution used for DNA extraction. Probably should also add spinning the cells really really fast lol

Last edited:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. How do they do the lysing?
Most commonly by first digesting the cell wall with carbohydrases and then lysing the cells with detergent. Or you could break the cell walls mechanically by grinding, or sonicating. You can precipitate RNA selectively by adding the right amount of LiCl, or precipitate both DNA and RNA with LiCl (or most any other type of monovalent cation) and alcohol.

Bruce

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis arrived today. Thanks, @stevo01 ! My first job is to not kill it. No, I'm not kidding. I tend to kill my first "starter culture" of just about everything. I even managed to kill my first rotifer culture! Once I have it nicely established, then the experimentation will begin. I'll keep you all posted.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis arrived today. Thanks, @stevo01 ! My first job is to not kill it. No, I'm not kidding. I tend to kill my first "starter culture" of just about everything. I even managed to kill my first rotifer culture! Once I have it nicely established, then the experimentation will begin. I'll keep you all posted.

Good luck Jim!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cool!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most commonly by first digesting the cell wall with carbohydrases and then lysing the cells with detergent. Or you could break the cell walls mechanically by grinding, or sonicating. You can precipitate RNA selectively by adding the right amount of LiCl, or precipitate both DNA and RNA with LiCl (or most any other type of monovalent cation) and alcohol.

Bruce

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Bry grows out for Jim I've began Continuum treatment. Starting Mg is 1575ppm, I dosed 80ml for a 100ppm increase. Keeping fingers crossed.
o_O Tech M round two?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o_O Tech M round two?

Let's assume the current Kents recipe does not contain LiCl. Let's also assume LiCl is the working compound element that destroys Bryopsis cell walls. The Mg level is a relation to the ammount of the secret ingredient present, therefore the same levels would need to be used in this treatment. I'm starting off with my Mg at 1575ppm. I'm confident if I raise to 2075ppm it will be equal to starting at 1375 and raising to 1875. It's been claimed that 5 days of dosing Continuum will cause death to the Bry, and maintaining levels for 3 weeks will ensure no return.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the visual record. This is what is looks like today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any news yet? :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news yet? :)

Its going to take Jim a little while to grow out the specimen I sent him. In my own LICl experiment i think its too soon to tell. Ill continue to update as i move forward. Im going to test PH when i get home. I think if PH is at 9 that the Bryopsis will start breaking down or at least slow down the growth. Whats the safest level I can bring PH to without causing major issues? Thanks.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is that not only have I not killed it, but it appears to be quite happy and growing! Now, I just need to get a couple of other small rocks populated with it, so I can do an experiment using a couple of different Li levels, while also maintaining a control. Stay tuned.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back