Tech-M's Magic Bryopsis killing ingredient: Lithium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit off topic, but I have only ceramic rock work for several years now. Not aquaroche, but vidarock which is cerameco. I had my tanks results in the ESV salt thread and they were unable to detect any vanadium.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise caution with Lithium. I'm not sure yet if its the Lithium, High Mag, or High Vanadium but something has caused a few of my acros to RTN in the past week. Nothing wide spread since it was only 2 Wild colonies and 5 or 6 frags (Out of 100+). I have a Triton test in the mail to try to shed some light on it.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise caution with Lithium. I'm not sure yet if its the Lithium, High Mag, or High Vanadium but something has caused a few of my acros to RTN in the past week. Nothing wide spread since it was only 2 Wild colonies and 5 or 6 frags (Out of 100+). I have a Triton test in the mail to try to shed some light on it.

I look forward to seeing the results of the Test.

Hopefully you find out what the problem is.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Results back.

Everything is perfect except the high Lithium. So my acro deaths must have been either 1) Alk drop to 7dkh, 2) Lighting changes, or 3) Exposure to the high Lithium levels.

Vanadium, which has been haunting me for months, is now gone completely. No idea why.

Zxl8Ywm.png

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanadium, which has been haunting me for months, is now gone completely. No idea why.

Triton reports results that are less than their LOD (Limit of Detection) as 0.00. According to their own documentation, their LOD for Vanadium is 0.92-1.50 PPB, so you could have as much as perhaps 1.50 PPB Vanadium, and it would show up on the report as 0.00, according to what Triton has said.

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton reports results that are less than their LOD (Limit of Detection) as 0.00. According to their own documentation, their LOD for Vanadium is 0.92-1.50 PPB, so you could have as much as perhaps 1.50 PPB Vanadium, and it would show up on the report as 0.00, according to what Triton has said.

Very true. Still a huge drop from the increasing readings before of 5.66 -> 15.12 -> 20.57

kc350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. My lithium levels are off the chart and have been using Tech M for about three years now.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Results back.

Everything is perfect except the high Lithium. So my acro deaths must have been either 1) Alk drop to 7dkh, 2) Lighting changes, or 3) Exposure to the high Lithium levels.

Zxl8Ywm.png
What Salt do you use?

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Salt do you use?

Red Sea Blue Bucket. I had a couple more acros STN this week, which seemed to happen right after a drop to about 7dkh alk. I am starting to think that is the culprit. 7dkh doesn't seem low, but I am using the Hanna checker and there has been some discussion in past about it reading roughly 1dkh higher then Salifert. Again this isn't a tank wide thing, its like 1 or 2 out of 100+ frags.

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a while, did anyone do any testing on their own by dosing just Lithium in a Bryopsis infected tank?

jverna1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone who bought Triton Lithium get good results killing bryopsis? Debating on Kent M or Triton Lithium.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did anyone who bought Triton Lithium get good results killing bryopsis? Debating on Kent M or Triton Lithium.
Ive had a frag plug with bryopsis on it for about 6 months untill i threw it out. My lithium level was around 3-4000 for that whole time

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also those strains of briopsis that is not affected by tech M and I just so happen to have one of them. So be cautious it's not a silver bullet in all situations. I've tried it multiple times and even ran levels up over 2100 ppm for a month + at the expense of corals as well. Montipora especially does not like it all that much and will bleach out after a while, then acros etc.. . I envy you guys who this works for..

I've tried for years doing the tech M route and all others under the sun I know of but I'm at the point where it's ( briopsis) killed my tank basically and I'm replacing rock that literally has 20+ years of life in it in my hands,its hard to take a bullet proof and tank minus the algae and nuke it.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops yep ppb.

Here are all of my Triton results in spreadsheet form so you can judge for yourself: http://1drv.ms/1bEXCbB

It makes sense that normal Mag Chloride doesn't have much Lithium, as people who have tried to battle Bryopsis with normal Mag found no results from my research. It seems only Tech-M as a Magnesium source is effective.
Brightwell hydrate magnesium works too. Magnesium salts that are hydrated work to kill bryopsis as opposed to anhydrous magnesium salts.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back