OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brothers baby parrot has taken up gold digging... We're hoping he gets over this phase soon, he's insatiable
e848e435b4f6f850515920a0b6840aa8.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brothers baby parrot has taken up gold digging... We're hoping he gets over this phase soon, he's insatiable
e848e435b4f6f850515920a0b6840aa8.jpg

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as corals came home alk consumption of course went up. Tank slowly went down to 7.4, and I turned down the pH setpoint for my CalRx. After putting in the new Ballasts in my Aquatic Life fixture, my alk dropped down to 6.7 in two days.

Lowered the low set point from 7.2 to 7.0 -- My effluent is a stream, so running the setpoint too low isn't the best way to run a CalRx. Lets hope this time tomorrow it's above 6.7 alk lol. Here's hoping for 6.8-6.9

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as corals came home alk consumption of course went up. Tank slowly went down to 7.4, and I turned down the pH setpoint for my CalRx. After putting in the new Ballasts in my Aquatic Life fixture, my alk dropped down to 6.7 in two days.

Lowered the low set point from 7.2 to 7.0 -- My effluent is a stream, so running the setpoint too low isn't the best way to run a CalRx. Lets hope this time tomorrow it's above 6.7 alk lol. Here's hoping for 6.8-6.9

This situation is almost asking for a reactor upgrade...

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor is rated for like 200 gallons it's more than fine, just needed to lower the pH set points lol.

Well... It SHOULD be more than fine... Who knows lol. I do have a lot of SPS... I won't lie, if I manage to max out my reactor rated for 200 gallons, on about 50g water volume.. I'm gonna be proud. I might even demand a special badge from @mdbannister

So about 18 hours later, alk has gone up by 0.2 -- from 6.7 to 6.9, I think it may max out today at 7.0 alk at around 20-24 hours, which isn't too much of an increase, although I think i'll tone it down just a hair to be safe.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, are you quoting yourself again?
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

I do this all the time in my head, and end up editing posts over and over. Ha

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, are you quoting yourself again?
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Oops! Meant to quote @Janci saying I needed a bigger reactor! Ah well.

_______________Basic Tank News_______________

1) Ordering the bonsai structure, the big one in a slightly custom size (18x18x9). Bubble algae will have a harder time sticking to the plastic shelves and I'll finally like my rockwork. So if bubble algae doesn't go away, it'll be significantly more manageable. I'll also finally dump the Real Reef Rock, which everybody warned me of.

1.5) At this rate the emeralds would probably stop the bubble algae quite well.. BUT, I'm willing to pay $200 to not need to clean my pumps every other day. The bubble buildup is annoying, and lighting quick. Additionally, I failed to realize I wouldn't like a corner rockwork as I don't like to have powerheads on the side of such a small tank. They do quite well on the back wall. So this will allow me to place my pumps as I like them.

2) Alk is back up at 7.2 now, so counterbalancing the alk drop from the improved T5 lighting. Corals are coloring up, they're almost acceptable at the moment. Seem to be raising about 0.3 dkh per day, so should be around 7.5dkh tomorrow at 8pm. I'll be taking it to 8.5-9.0

3) My tang is stupid. He'll nip at bubble algae, but he wont eat nori OR green flake. He goes nuts for meat, and has HLLE, which he acquired during QT. Seems to be slowly improving but I'm not a big fan of seeing big open wounds on my poor dumb tang.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! Meant to quote @Janci saying I needed a bigger reactor! Ah well.

_______________Basic Tank News_______________

1) Ordering the bonsai structure, the big one in a slightly custom size (18x18x9). Bubble algae will have a harder time sticking to the plastic shelves and I'll finally like my rockwork. So if bubble algae doesn't go away, it'll be significantly more manageable. I'll also finally dump the Real Reef Rock, which everybody warned me of.

1.5) At this rate the emeralds would probably stop the bubble algae quite well.. BUT, I'm willing to pay $200 to not need to clean my pumps every other day. The bubble buildup is annoying, and lighting quick. Additionally, I failed to realize I wouldn't like a corner rockwork as I don't like to have powerheads on the side of such a small tank. They do quite well on the back wall. So this will allow me to place my pumps as I like them.

2) Alk is back up at 7.2 now, so counterbalancing the alk drop from the improved T5 lighting. Corals are coloring up, they're almost acceptable at the moment. Seem to be raising about 0.3 dkh per day, so should be around 7.5dkh tomorrow at 8pm. I'll be taking it to 8.5-9.0

3) My tang is stupid. He'll nip at bubble algae, but he wont eat nori OR green flake. He goes nuts for meat, and has HLLE, which he acquired during QT. Seems to be slowly improving but I'm not a big fan of seeing big open wounds on my poor dumb tang.

Good news on the bonsai. I like this.
Is HLLE contagious for other fish?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pop them off the scape into the water column, see what the tang does! ;)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonsai structure ordered. $175 custom sized 18x18x9, it will look like this guy, with a tiny bit of modification: Original size was 21x18x12 -- So the top section will be brought down a hair, and the left most plates will be moved in and switched out with a smaller size plate.

4251777027570be2e7953b201e306f83.jpg

b07f20fabe03339735b5f15939811803.jpg

Pop them off the scape into the water column, see what the tang does! ;)

I have, he'll nibble at them half heartedly. As for the Nori and Algae flake he doesn't really seem to care. He DOES seem to enjoy the Hikari algae extreme pellets... Which are more filler than algae it seems :(

Spiralina loaded brine/mysis work for him though, and he goes after Ulva with gusto.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bonsai scapes remind me of the giant mushrooms from OG Mario.

I could see that lol.

It's gonna take 3 weeks but here's hoping it somehow gets done super early! Not holding my breath for that... But man am I hoping.

Back