The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... Happy New YEAR 2020 Rakie, Glad to see you back.

...... Wow, what a find. In way your Tank/Corals pick up something that maybe you never would have noticed, and would have kept drinking the water till to pipes burst.

The needle in the haystack situations are always toughest.....Just like my 1st floor dish washer leaking into my basement RO reservoir, thru a small hole, when lid of RO res was off. That kept killing my SPS slowly, over 2 years till I figure it out one day.

Looking forward to a positive recovery. You may consider a Toxic Metal Sponge/Resin to polish things up. Or maybe the water change is good enough.

But here they are.... (Heavy Metal removers)

and LAST BUT NOT LEAST......

...... Glad you don't hate us ALL

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I upgraded from my 22g to my 90g this is what did most of my colonies in. I used Triton's detox and it did the job. I still have no idea where the copper, tin and other metals came from, but they're gone now.
Sorry to hear, but at least you know now. Good luck on your recovery.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rakie you have been missed. I'm sorry to read about your tank and plumbing, but I am happy to see you back to talk about your progress from here on out!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what really irked me is there was straight up no indication of anything testable, and it was such a slow gradual decline I wondered what the problem was. New RODI filters didn't solve the problem, doing large water changes seemed to make it worse (now I know why).

RODI TDS was always zero. Typically my TDS was zero before the RO membrane, but after awhile I started getting some TDS post membrane and I figured it's probably time to change it up. So changed to a newer RO membrane and it broke up very quickly, and got to the point where TDS coming out of the membrane was higher than it was going in.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what really irked me is there was straight up no indication of anything testable, and it was such a slow gradual decline I wondered what the problem was. New RODI filters didn't solve the problem, doing large water changes seemed to make it worse (now I know why).

RODI TDS was always zero. Typically my TDS was zero before the RO membrane, but after awhile I started getting some TDS post membrane and I figured it's probably time to change it up. So changed to a newer RO membrane and it broke up very quickly, and got to the point where TDS coming out of the membrane was higher than it was going in.
Sound exactly like my Soapy DishWater contamiated water.
When I got a drip (no lid on), the RO was contaminated and I poluted tank.
The killer part for me, was I also used this soapy water to make my TWO PART for dosing.
So even when I was using GOOD RO, the TWO part was poision.

I actually discovered my contaminated RO in two ways. First was I measure it's TDS, and it should have been zero.
but it was like 70. I thought container was dirty so changed it. That fixed TDS to 0.0, till next time dishwasher ran, and lid was off.

Then the big revelation was when I was working in the RO area, and wife turned on dishwasher and the drips hit my head.

BOY THIS HOBBY can throw you big mysteries to solve.
GLAD YOU SOLVED THIS!!! .... and can eventually go forward with some postive hope to start fresh and Safely.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just read this again.
That doesn't sound possible to have a TDS before RO membrane to be ZERO. (Before membrane is just Carbon and Pre-Filter)
Heck I don't even get Zero after Membrane. Only after DI resin.
You sure your TDS meter is working?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is terrible. Stuff like that should NOT be used for potable water systems whatsoever. As much as I hate it (I'm a mechanical plumber by trade) pex is probably your cheapest and quickest fix. While pvc would more than likely be cheaper depending on how bad they want to screw you,pex would be way quicker if you decide to re-plumb the whole house.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim, happy new year and really have missed chatting with you. Glad you figured it out and hopefully you’ll be back in no time. is Scott coralsitting?

Nope a different buddy. You'd think with a 90g frag tank, a 90g observation tank, and a 400g display he'd have room, but his tank has been packed full for years lol

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this again.
That doesn't sound possible to have a TDS before RO membrane to be ZERO. (Before membrane is just Carbon and Pre-Filter)
Heck I don't even get Zero after Membrane. Only after DI resin.
You sure your TDS meter is working?

Yep, but it always did.

0.1 micron sediment filter (whichever the best was), 2 pentek chloramine carbon filters. My tds would hit zero before the ro membrane.

My tds will read above zero when things need to be changed. But that's why my membrane lasted for years before needing a change.

Additionally, I've got higher than average water pressure. More pressure = better cleaning from what I've been told. My water pressure is reading at 70 psi out of the membrane. So that should all help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is terrible. Stuff like that should NOT be used for potable water systems whatsoever. As much as I hate it (I'm a mechanical plumber by trade) pex is probably your cheapest and quickest fix. While pvc would more than likely be cheaper depending on how bad they want to screw you,pex would be way quicker if you decide to re-plumb the whole house.

We'll be going with copper.

A buddy if mine said whenever he cuts galvanized steel he has to put on a mask because "it has some nasty stuff in it", which is good to know but sucks to hear.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very smart man. I'm running a crew of guys at our FAMU job in Tallehassee,and its PEX and wow what a pain.. Next job will be 4" carbon steel and copper. Basically I swear by copper,overall its just better.

I have welded galvanized before and got sick as a dog. Had to drink a half gallon of milk to stop the throwing up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back