BEEC60E3-B9D4-47D7-A018-00DE9A1D84C5.jpeg

It gets a AWC every 8hrs, draining and pulling water from my 150g 12feet away
E1CBF633-D1FE-4773-B435-AE9155386C63.jpeg

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info and photo inspiration! Wish I would had this when I originally started keeping mangroves. I definitely searched and read a ton of threads on multiple forums to get information. Let me attach a few pictures of my pico mangrove build (2 1/2 gallon window sill tank). It’s gone through a few changes in the last year and a half [from an all macro algae and mangrove to sps dominant -seriatopora sp. with mangroves] but it’s cool to see these trees continue to grow once they are comfortable within a tank.

DA0C8453-54E5-4ABF-88CB-C379977FBA8D.jpeg
43A4F04A-1E38-4B4D-9965-90EE24C3FECA.jpeg
A4464068-A415-4837-A480-7961FF241055.jpeg
721F0AE2-E968-4480-B48F-F2E09F2D5E53.jpeg

@pelican I stumbled upon your tank thread the other day and I couldn’t help but chuckle cause well I guess great minds think alike. I’m currently setting up a 40 lagoon with the loads of gorgonian species I’ve hoarded over the past few years to accompany some display mangroves. The setup is going to look pretty darn close to yours. To be honest it's great to see what my vision in my head looks like actually created so I’m itching even more to get it set up and running after seeing your photos. Trying to source some mangroves that are slightly larger than the basic propagules you can get to try and jump start some of the vertical growth (I’m hoping to get some good height on these trees for the new build as my ceilings are roughly 13 ft high. I’m going to be pinching the leaves on my pico build to keep them compact to fit with the small sized foot print of a tank their in). Look forward to following along on the rest of your build.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll bite

here is my sons 5g mangrove tank

This is awesome, what are the dimensions? I love shallow tanks.

I’d LOVE to hear about the mechanics of the water change system! Could you conceivably turn it into a tidal tank??

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info and photo inspiration! Wish I would had this when I originally started keeping mangroves. I definitely searched and read a ton of threads on multiple forums to get information. Let me attach a few pictures of my pico mangrove build (2 1/2 gallon window sill tank). It’s gone through a few changes in the last year and a half [from an all macro algae and mangrove to sps dominant -seriatopora sp. with mangroves] but it’s cool to see these trees continue to grow once they are comfortable within a tank.

DA0C8453-54E5-4ABF-88CB-C379977FBA8D.jpeg
43A4F04A-1E38-4B4D-9965-90EE24C3FECA.jpeg
A4464068-A415-4837-A480-7961FF241055.jpeg
721F0AE2-E968-4480-B48F-F2E09F2D5E53.jpeg

@pelican I stumbled upon your tank thread the other day and I couldn’t help but chuckle cause well I guess great minds think alike. I’m currently setting up a 40 lagoon with the loads of gorgonian species I’ve hoarded over the past few years to accompany some display mangroves. The setup is going to look pretty darn close to yours. To be honest it's great to see what my vision in my head looks like actually created so I’m itching even more to get it set up and running after seeing your photos. Trying to source some mangroves that are slightly larger than the basic propagules you can get to try and jump start some of the vertical growth (I’m hoping to get some good height on these trees for the new build as my ceilings are roughly 13 ft high. I’m going to be pinching the leaves on my pico build to keep them compact to fit with the small sized foot print of a tank their in). Look forward to following along on the rest of your build.
Oh. My. God. dude. That second picture. I never saw THAT on your Instagram!! That is literally one of, if not the, cleanest macroalgae tank I’ve ever seen. And those colors are unreal. Bravo man

Also, we’re both from STL (looking forward to meeting you tomorrow haha) and I just noticed @This guy is Extra Salty is too!

Last edited:

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea it was awesome to have a full macro tank for about 6 months. Man I was shipping macros across the country to people. Even Derek @This guy is Extra Salty has some of my macros. Had about 7-8 different species of macro, feather dusters, gorgonians and sponges. With it being on the windowsill, heat is what did in most of the macros. My apartment I lived at previously lost ac for a week. I kept my coral tanks below 79 degrees but this tank I couldn’t keep cool enough as the ambient temp in my apartment in the dead of the summer was like 80 something, combined with a south facing window blasting the tank most of the afternoon. It was miserable to live in and also saddening to see the blue hypnea melt away (probably my favorite macro algae). Still trying to find some more, so if you know anyone, Let me know. Such a cool macro that’s iridescent under the right light.

Flash forward, I decided with the rebirth of the pico mangrove tank I was going to try something harder lol ( why not) I have a system for lps, a system for anemones and now my pico is my dedicated system for SPS. So far the seriatopora is growing like a weed and I have encrusting montis growing over the rock work. Letting the seriatopora grow out more before I snag a clown goby to stick in here. Don’t want em munching down all the polyps right away. The macro dominant tank will be reborn with the new 40 lagoon hopefully in the next month along with the 10 species of gorgonians I have lined up ready to throw in. I’ll have frags of gorgonians since the tank isn’t super tall so let me know if you want some. I already have Derek on the list for some.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea it was awesome to have a full macro tank for about 6 months. Man I was shipping macros across the country to people. Even Derek @This guy is Extra Salty has some of my macros. Had about 7-8 different species of macro, feather dusters, gorgonians and sponges. With it being on the windowsill, heat is what did in most of the macros. My apartment I lived at previously lost ac for a week. I kept my coral tanks below 79 degrees but this tank I couldn’t keep cool enough as the ambient temp in my apartment in the dead of the summer was like 80 something, combined with a south facing window blasting the tank most of the afternoon. It was miserable to live in and also saddening to see the blue hypnea melt away (probably my favorite macro algae). Still trying to find some more, so if you know anyone, Let me know. Such a cool macro that’s iridescent under the right light.

Flash forward, I decided with the rebirth of the pico mangrove tank I was going to try something harder lol ( why not) I have a system for lps, a system for anemones and now my pico is my dedicated system for SPS. So far the seriatopora is growing like a weed and I have encrusting montis growing over the rock work. Letting the seriatopora grow out more before I snag a clown goby to stick in here. Don’t want em munching down all the polyps right away. The macro dominant tank will be reborn with the new 40 lagoon hopefully in the next month along with the 10 species of gorgonians I have lined up ready to throw in. I’ll have frags of gorgonians since the tank isn’t super tall so let me know if you want some. I already have Derek on the list for some.
That’s brutal with the temperature. I can certainly commiserate living in older apartments around here. That tank looked so great, I’d even consider a chiller. Corner Reef and Gateway Aquatics have so much used crap in their stores it is gross. Maybe you can snag something cheap or partial trade for frags.

I’m also really kind of itching to make an awesome seagrass bed tank. It would have to be a big long shallow tank though. Could have a giant nem in the middle, schooling fish flying over the terrain. Garden Eels. So many thoughts haha.

1580622409734.jpeg

1580622460052.jpeg

Is your last photo the tank that has the sps?

Also, I got you on the big mangroves. Like huge ones. They aren’t cheap though. I’m talking this size:
1580622513960.jpeg

Have you ever seen this tank? 48”x12”x12” windowsill tank. No filtration. No light. No water changes. So awesome.

1580623297544.jpeg

Last edited:

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seagrass would be awesome. I want to try Seagrass as well but it is hard to get as it’s become banned in most places to harvest. I believe turtle grass is still pretty common and a couple other various species of seagrass. I was reading somewhere about this but of course the internet can be wrong so don’t quote me.

I thought about garden eels but they need at least 8-10 inches of sand bed and then about the same in swimming distance above (so goodbye shallow tank). You also have to set up the perfect flow for them to have food flow by them constantly throughout the day. I’ll save that project for another day.

The anemone is an awesome idea. I feel like anemones and clownfish are the gateway into saltwater.
It’s funny you bring up all the used stuff at those stores. I legit scour them every time I’m there. Just picked up two ai sols (ancient but awesome lights), the original hydras which light my tanks right now, kamoer dosing pumps, and tons more. People trade it in cause it’s not the hottest new item. I scoop it up for cheap lol!

That size it perfect! Just what I’m looking for! We’ll chat in the future about the mangroves. I’m well aware of the prices for them and really it’s the focus of my tanks so it’s just like going and getting that favorite super popular torch coral or something along that lines.

I think that 48 x 12 x 12 tank inspired me to start my pico. After reading that entire thread I knew I could make something similar. My pico has had no water changes although now I’m dosing all for reef for the sps, it’s lit by ikea grow bulbs and par 38 reef bulbs and there’s no filtration. I have a filter on there but that’s for surface turnover and to mix up the flow from the internal pump pushing water laterally along the length of the tank.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just followed both of your accounts on Instagram. You make tanks?! You and I will be talking! My p
I’ll bite

here is my sons 5g mangrove tank

I just followed both of your accounts on Instagram. You make tanks?! You and I will be talking! My plans for some builds are always unorthodox. Looking for long shallow aquarium as one idea. Maybe even 72”x18”x12” tall abouts. And a mangrove lagoon with the possibility of two intakes and returns at different levels to perhaps do a tidal tank. Or a mangrove lagoon tank with the tiniest possible return. Just enough for a return pump and cram some filter floss in the leftover open space. Or drilled so it can run off a canister filter. Anyway, 156,934 ideas to talk to you about. Look forward to meeting you, I’m sure Tyler will make an introduction.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread idea reefcubed! Here is my mangrove refugium (build thread: RC40G Mangrove Refugium). The intent was to add natural filtration to support the main display. Today, this plant gets as much or more attention than the DT :)

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg
Very happy you shared, you have one of the most impressive specimens I’ve see!

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rmchoi Man that mang looks fantastic! I’m excited to learn tricks from this thread as well. It’s actually inspired me to finally try the iron and magnesium dosing I’ve been thinking about.

My tank is currently struggling with hair algae. I got a bit lazy with maintenance and I let my nutrients get out of whack. It’s a little tough to created conditions that my macros Sponges and tunicates like while not also making the tank a hotbed for things like hair algae.

I’ve added a rollermat and an Apex with a Dos for auto water changes. I’m manually remove the hair algae as best I can but can’t eradicate it. I am going to try a fleet of red leg hermits to see if they can get me back clean.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread. Hopefully once my mangrove gets real leaves I can share mine. It's a red mangrove, sending out a lot of roots. I think my light might be too much MH 250 watts for 4 hours. I add Iron once a week. My little mad experiment under way. Mangroves are illegal in AZ so it is hard to get my hands on them.

0201201008a_HDR~2.jpg
Mangroves are not illegal in AZ. It's just that nurseries have to be certified to ship any plants there. Here's a link to a source in AZ: https://www.azgardens.com/product/red-mangrove-rhizophora-mangle/

I used to sell plant cuttings on eBay and wouldn't ship to AZ or CA for that reason.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rmchoi Man that mang looks fantastic! I’m excited to learn tricks from this thread as well. It’s actually inspired me to finally try the iron and magnesium dosing I’ve been thinking about.

My tank is currently struggling with hair algae. I got a bit lazy with maintenance and I let my nutrients get out of whack. It’s a little tough to created conditions that my macros Sponges and tunicates like while not also making the tank a hotbed for things like hair algae.

I’ve added a rollermat and an Apex with a Dos for auto water changes. I’m manually remove the hair algae as best I can but can’t eradicate it. I am going to try a fleet of red leg hermits to see if they can get me back clean.
The one bad thing about having a macro algae tank, is that you can’t use sea hares to lay waste to your nuisance algae, because they do not discriminate. They have helped me countless times.

I thought I read, and I believe I even read it from you in your build thread, that saltwater mollies did great work on an earlier algae problem you had?

If it’s any consolation, every mangrove lagoon, mangrove root, seagrass bed, etc. seem to be absolutely covered in algae in nature. Haha

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one bad thing about having a macro algae tank, is that you can’t use sea hares to lay waste to your nuisance algae, because they do not discriminate. They have helped me countless times.

I thought I read, and I believe I even read it from you in your build thread, that saltwater mollies did great work on an earlier algae problem you had?

If it’s any consolation, every mangrove lagoon, mangrove root, seagrass bed, etc. seem to be absolutely covered in algae in nature. Haha
That was me that talked about the saltwater mollies. They have nibbled here and there on the GHA but seemed to much prefer the diatoms.

I’m hopeful that the red legs will help. I’m thinking about an urchin as well.

OP
OP
reefcubed

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was me that talked about the saltwater mollies. They have nibbled here and there on the GHA but seemed to much prefer the diatoms.

I’m hopeful that the red legs will help. I’m thinking about an urchin as well.
I’ve never kept urchins, nor claim to be very knowledgeable about them. But I was just thinking, in your tank, a school of cardinals living in one or more longspine urchins could look super cool. Just an idea that popped in my head

A4A90A11-9538-4B44-91FC-2494EB812D72.jpeg

BE925331-F5BE-4DA5-A402-A9D2D6F18E25.jpeg

E5425538-43D2-406F-8D92-92658FF96A8D.jpeg

C82C3D6E-A152-4FCA-BF89-5EB459DAFBBC.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back