Toadstool HELP! White rash? Bacterial infection? Normal?

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! -------------------------ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE AMAZING!--------------------------------------
BACKGROUND:
I recently purchased a giant toadstool from my local LFS. Someones tank blew up in there living room and they had gotten a lot of corals/fish. Saw this giant toadstool he was not opened up all the way in the store but had got him in 2 days ago and knew he wasn't going to stick around to long so I got him
He is about 10-12 inches wide

PROBLEM:
He was under low lighting when I picked him up and mine seem to harsh for him so I've tried to keep in in low light areas. His polyps DO! open up (maybe not all the way but a lot) in low light. I have been mixing up light intensity
But I just noticed this on him? It looks like a white rash or something?????
(where the picture was taken on the part laying on the sand bed but has the same thing on the trunk.

NOTE: He was closed up and very tight when i took the photo because I had moved him
He has looked decent except for the top edge where the strongest light was hitting him and it turned white and started to film off.
---The toadstool was just dipped in "MEcoral 1 shot" because I currently believe some Zoa's wont open because of a possible bacterial infection and decided to put him in as well while i had it going

LEVELS: Nitrates: 3 ppm, Nitrite: O ppm Ammonia: O ppm, Calcium: 440 ppm, Alkalinity 11 DKH, Ph: 8.2, Phosphate: 0.2 ppm
THANKS!

20180319_190125.jpg

20180319_190053.jpg

20180319_190104.jpg

20180318_100509.jpg

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldnt be worried as long as the polyps still open up and the tissues seem healthy, but im going to let others chime in here as i dont really know what this is

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that happens after the dip?
Was it the manufacture concentration? (Or like mine “some “)

It is the worlds grumpiest coral. So.

#reefsquad.

OP
OP
Tyler Tacy

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldnt be worried as long as the polyps still open up and the tissues seem healthy, but im going to let others chime in here as i dont really know what this is
Thanks for taking the time to read this, yeah i'm thinking the same thing since the polyps are coming out that's definitely a good sign be interesting to see what others have to say. I have one other monster toadstool and its thriving right now.

OP
OP
Tyler Tacy

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that happens after the dip?
Was it the manufacture concentration? (Or like mine “some “)

It is the worlds grumpiest coral. So.

#reefsquad.
oohhh sorry this picture was BEFORE the dip. it looked a lot happier before I picked it up. instructions very brief, soak 5-10 minutes and rinse then place back in tank

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had toad stools ;Oldman

I would cut out the bad sections:

Then you pierce the good part with tooth picks and rubber band down the tooth picks to a piece of live rock.
The toad stool will attach to the live rock and then your can remove the tooth picks and rubber bands.

Guppy ole buggers :)

When a toad stool is not happy it can make all your corals close up :(

OP
OP
Tyler Tacy

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then you pierce the good part with tooth picks and rubber band down the tooth picks to a piece of live rock.
The toad stool will attach to the live rock and then your can remove the tooth picks and rubber bands.

haha yeah i read about doing that somewhere and have fragged mine before. The thing is on this one that white skin patch is over everything so i wouldn't really know what to start

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yeah i read about doing that somewhere and have fragged mine before. The thing is on this one that white skin patch is over everything so i wouldn't really know what to start

Well,
You can save the head :)

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When a toad stool is not happy it can make all your corals close up :(

Excellent advice.I would add some activated carbon as well.This will help counter any toxins that may have already been released.

hahahahahaha hope it doesnt come down to that
I may come down to that.Unfortunately, large sacros just don't move well.Especially twice.I am not familiar at all with the product that you used to dip.I would suggest using a iodine based product next time.Some decent flow around the coral will be beneficial.Keep a close eye on it.Touch it often to make certain that is still solid feeling.If it starts to break down at all,get it out of the tank!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back