ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently bought a 250ml bottle of Seachem Matrix. It says on the bottle that I should use the whole bottle for 25 Gallons of water. Currently, my water volume is about 13 Gallons. Can I use the whole bottle? Or should I follow the instructions? Also, in which part of the sump should I put them?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently bought a 250ml bottle of Seachem Matrix. It says on the bottle that I should use the whole bottle for 25 Gallons of water. Currently, my water volume is about 13 Gallons. Can I use the whole bottle? Or should I follow the instructions? Also, in which part of the sump should I put them?

You can either use half or all of it, I don’t think you can overdose: it’s just biomedia for bacteria to colonize. I suspect you can put it almost anywhere in the sump where it will get decent flow.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll put the whole bottle in my fuge. Is that enough flow? Also, should I wash the matrix before using it?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want it to accomplish?

I would not assume that it cannot be overdone. Too low of nitrate is not desirable.

Thanks for weighing in. I've been using matrix for years and always looked at it more as a substitute to adding rocks or similar to using marine pure blocks. In sum as something that would help with nitrates but unlike biopellet reactors will not strip the system of nitrates. Your post got me wondering a bit since I dumped a liter of matrix to my very lightly stocked (2 juvenile clowns) 32g biocube. Based on Seachem's guidelines that'd be enough to "treat" 200g. I'm still observing at least 5 and maybe 10 nitrates based on salifert. Since I plan to move my anemones to that tank and too low nitrates wouldn't be ideal, putting aside that the nems will add to the bioload, I'm curious if you have observed matrix stripping all nitrates or getting them too low? Thanks!

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be. :)
I guess we'll have to wait. If the parameter goes too low, I'll remove some of the matrix. I'm actually trying to get those params down 'cause I have an algae problem. The tank is still 9 months old so I'm pretty sure the matrix and chaeto will help with the nutrient surplus.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on this????????
Well, lets just say the sump was a fail. I'll be restarting the sump on school break. It did well and had a lot of pods for a while, then I left it on vacation and the sump crashed. (I always disconnect my sump before going to vacation and put a HOB on the DT because I can't monitor the sump while I'm away.)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back