Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-25-2018 _Status update

Current issues:
  • Dolphin Ampmaster - Running loud but In defense of the pump it is 7 years old. (Contacted Ampmaster- They are sending me a new one under warranty. Just had to pay shipping. ( What a awesome company.) -Pending Delivery Today -5-25-18
  • Pin-Drop leaks- these are the leaks that start and drip very very slowly (Like one drop every six hours). I had two coming from the threaded connection because of Teflon tape. Loosened and added Teflon paste ( I knew I should have done this in the first place). -Still verifying
  • Original Apex controller seems to have given up without warning. Unit has always been sheltered in a electrical box housing. Still it was one of the original units built with a four digit serial number # starting at 2xxx. So we will see what they say. Unit overheats from what I can tell and doesn't stay on long enough to do anything. - Company is not very fast at support they have requested the unit get sent in with a estimate of repair costing 35-135. In the interest of time I replaced the brains. Debating on sending the old unit in. Over all neptune is getting a C- on customer support.
Resolved issues:
  • Brown washed the tank - DOH....Went to add the Walt Smith Fiji Mud to the refugium and it turned the water brown. Fixed added Seachem Clarity. I added it late Tuesday night and it was clearing up quick. Got up on Wednesday morning and it was crystal clear.
  • Apex Classic dead- replaced the head unit with a the new model Apex Controller Base Unit from Marine Depot.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's up and running with a 3 damsels. Got the lights up and on.
4ee71d85727d4521bb975e01554bcb28.jpg

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update -
Current issues 5-29-2018:
  1. Skimmer is producing massive amount of Micro-bubbles. Hopefully this is just a break in period issue but time will tell. Trying to dial it in now. ;Facepalm
  2. Dolphin Ampmaster - Original issue: running loud but In defense of the pump it is 7 years old. I did get a brand new one at a good discount via Ampmaster warranty program
  • The new pump that came has a tiny leak at the seal that I may not have not noticed but thankfully I had a small acrylic tray made for under pump for this very issue. The Apex leak sensor sits in the tray.
The end result is they are sending me an new wet end and did refund a additional amount off for all the trouble. Dolphin stand by their products.

Last edited:

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update -
Current issues 5-29-2018:
  1. Skimmer is producing massive amount of Micro-bubbles. Hopefully this is just a break in period issue but time will tell. Trying to dial it in now. ;Facepalm
    :(

1. I have the NYOS 160 and it took a good while to get rid of those micro bubbles, and that was after running it in vinegar and water for 24 hours. It will eventually go away.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I have the NYOS 160 and it took a good while to get rid of those micro bubbles, and that was after running it in vinegar and water for 24 hours. It will eventually go away.
Do you think the vinegar helped? The Nyos 300 hundred is a beast of a skimmer but the micro bubbles are driving me crazy.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the vinegar helped? The Nyos 300 hundred is a beast of a skimmer but the micro bubbles are driving me crazy.

It’s hard for me to say since it’s my first time with this skimmer. I can say that it lasted for 2-3 weeks so I don’t know if it made that much difference, maybe if I would have run it for another couple of days in the bucket it would have helped.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard for me to say since it’s my first time with this skimmer. I can say that it lasted for 2-3 weeks so I don’t know if it made that much difference, maybe if I would have run it for another couple of days in the bucket it would have helped.
Interesting that was what the guy at the fish store told me that it would disappear on it's own after a couple weeks and they don't even carry this brand. I have a ton of micro bubbles. Guess the oxygen levels in the water is good for sure.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest updates:
  • Apex issues: (When it rains it pours with these guys I guess.)
    • Display went out and locked up my whole system. Had to remove it otherwise the system locks up.
    • Flow sensor seems to be about 10 percent off after running a few tests.
    • Apex Classic died and was sent in.
  • Micro-bubbles
  • Old Live Rock was infested with Vertimid Snails. I detest these pests. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/muriatic-acid-live-rock-and-vermetid-snails-oh-my.398537/ The rock is all cleaned up now but had to use a dremel and a pair of coral clippers to remove the shells even after the acid bath.
  • Going to give some 3/4 inch RFG nozzles a try created by vividcreativeaquatics.com . Kinda cool to start seeing 3D printed products.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest updates:
  • Going to give some 3/4 inch RFG nozzles a try created by vividcreativeaquatics.com . Kinda cool to start seeing 3D printed products.

Awesome - Thanks for giving the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle a place in the flow solution for your build.

We'll be interested in your impression of the RFG nozzle vs the standard accelerators you have installed now. We did a video of this a while back that actually show the difference between the two.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 06-04-18

Apex issues:
  • Display went out and locked up my whole system. Had to remove it otherwise the system locks up. (FIXED- Apex stated they believe it was a short and to send it in. I found the short and replaced the USB wire with a little soldiering - Found the solution on Reefcentral:Cable coding on the motherboard from left to right. (Black/Green/White or Yellow /Red) Replaced with a USB cable that I had around. A quick soldiering job. Toned the original cable and Pin 3 /4 shorted out due to the ultra thin cable. (Fixed) Super Happy :)
  • Flow sensor seems to be about 10 percent off after running a few tests. Deciding on this still, is 10 percent off worth the risk. They want to send me a new sensor for 80 bucks...if it reads the same I keep both but eat the cost of 80.
  • Apex Classic died and was sent in. :-( - Apex came back and stated " diagnosis for RMA# , has been completed. Unfortunately, there are just too many damaged components on the PCB for a cost effective repair, and the entire board will need to be replaced. A new PCB replacement is $150. If you choose to proceed with the replacement, please follow the link here to provide payment arrangements for your repair" No Thank You APEX, please send my unit back. I may open it up and take a gander.
Now for some more exciting news, I have 8 Random Flow Generator nozzles coming from VCA. Went with 3/4 Qty. 6 and 1/2 Qty. 2. I am interested in seeing how they behave on the return lines. I will update the thread with my results.
The Oceans Wonders 8" HD Stainless Steel Stony Coral Cutter that I found on amazon seem to be good quality and made quick work of the Vermetid snails on my old live rock.
16b01cea6bb51719d9ed395932f5ed2e.jpg
c1b9d228ca0f4a44cd61854928c3e5c7.jpg

The new wet-end for the Dolphin pump should arrive tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for following along. More to come. So far it has been a journey with lots of challenges.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think, is it worth the risk to get another flow sensor? Ten percent is about 200 gallons off.

OP
OP
Trickman2

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 06-06-2018
The dolphin pump wet-end arrived yesterday. Replacing the wetend itself was relatively easy and no leaks thus far. Removing the pump to replace the wet end was a pain even with all the unions.
ae87f9622b48561873d6f48030c89997.jpg

Still need to clean up all the wires.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back