Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am fairly certain that there was as response to this question from one of them. Yes, there is a warranty issue.

EDIT: Here it is:

No, that is officially second hand product that is not covered by the warranty. Even if it was new it had to be sold either by a unauthorized dealer or a private party. Sorry, but this is our policy.

It's post number 289.

Last edited:

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can shed a little light on my Trident/DOS+DDR dilemma.
So for the last 2-3 days I get Alerts that the CA is out of range and it continues to climb due to DOS continuing dose CA, even with the Trident based dosing task set that it should have discontinued dosing if level was outside of range. The issue started Sunday evening after I dosed Mg level up from 1281 to 1314* per Trident results*( OG Salifert was closer to a 20 point swing). ALK during this time was between 9.03 and 9.07.
^Monday 00:34
MG 1314
CA 410
^Tuesday 00:17
MG 1308
CA 522 - DOSCA toggle set OFF by Me
^Tuesday 12:34
MG 1302
CA 446
^Wednesday 00:16
MG 1267
CA 569!
^Wednesday 12:17
MG 1257
CA 603

DOS_CA toggle OFF set Tuesday morning, but Calcium continues to rise and MG starts to plummet at the same time? About 30% remaining in MG and CA reagents. All other parameters remained consistent?

Any idea why?

Should I start/ move to another thread?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for the last 2-3 days I get Alerts that the CA is out of range and it continues to climb due to DOS continuing dose CA, even with the Trident based dosing task set that it should have discontinued dosing if level was outside of range. The issue started Sunday evening after I dosed Mg level up from 1281 to 1314* per Trident results*( OG Salifert was closer to a 20 point swing). ALK during this time was between 9.03 and 9.07.
^Monday 00:34
MG 1314
CA 410
^Tuesday 00:17
MG 1308
CA 522 - DOSCA toggle set OFF by Me
^Tuesday 12:34
MG 1302
CA 446
^Wednesday 00:16
MG 1267
CA 569!
^Wednesday 12:17
MG 1257
CA 603

DOS_CA toggle OFF set Tuesday morning, but Calcium continues to rise and MG starts to plummet at the same time? About 30% remaining in MG and CA reagents. All other parameters remained consistent?

Any idea why?

Should I start/ move to another thread?
Yes - probably - but here is a question - have you independently tried to check your CA with another test? Have you re-calibrated?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - probably - but here is a question - have you independently tried to check your CA with another test? Have you re-calibrated?

Neanderthal test, not yet, that was the plan for today when I got off since the value was continuing to rise “unexplainably”

Going to start a new thread also...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neanderthal test, not yet, that was the plan for today when I got off since the value was continuing to rise “unexplainably”

Going to start a new thread also...
Well it doesn’t make sense that the ca is going up. I assume you shut your doser

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the last 2-3 days I get Alerts that the CA is out of range and it continues to climb due to DOS continuing dose CA, even with the Trident based dosing task set that it should have discontinued dosing if level was outside of range.

This isn't the best place to trouble shoot issues, but likely you are running out of Reagent B/C and the Trident reagent intake tube is pulling air instead of reagent ever so often. At the bottom of the bottle this is can start happen. I suggest you check your reagents and if low replace them. If they are not low, then check the reagent intake assembly standpipe and confirm it is well fitted to tubing.

If you continue to have trouble, then please reach out to the support team for further assistance

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is been asked before. I’m still learning more about how the trident works before I pick one up.

When you replace the reagents do you have to re-calibrate the trident? If not how often are you guys recalibrating?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Each reagent set comes with a calibration solution. So it’s advisable to calibrate when you need to change reagent B & C (Every 2 months).

It’s not really a big deal, you hit calibrate and let it do its thing for an hour, then just put the sample line back in the tank, minimal effort required by the user.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is been asked before. I’m still learning more about how the trident works before I pick one up.

When you replace the reagents do you have to re-calibrate the trident? If not how often are you guys recalibrating?

So far I have not calibrated my trident. All tests have tied out to my Salifert manual tests. I've replaced reagent A and still no calibration needed. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don’t want to be calibrating something every month or two even. I’d like to be able to set and forget for several months.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s really not that big of a deal. You press a few buttons, go get a sandwich and then come back and move the sample line back to your tank... there’s nothing else you do? You do that 6 times a year? All the things we do in our hobby and that’s where you draw the line? Strange

Erick F.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but yesterday my trident tested Alk at 14 even though for the weeks leading up to this it has been reading between 9 and 10. I have not made any changes or dosed anything in 2 weeks as I am trying to reduce my alkalinity slowly to 8.5. I have compare the test results to both my Salifert and Elos kit and they both read between 9 and 9.5. Here is a screenshot for reference.
Screenshot_20190716-084700_Apex Fusion.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far I have not calibrated my trident. All tests have tied out to my Salifert manual tests. I've replaced reagent A and still no calibration needed. Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

You cant use a salifert test to check a trident can you? The whole goal of a trident was accuracy and precision - unless you calibrate it you dont have a clue what you're looking at. If you didnt care whether the alkalinity was 8 or 8.5 why get a trident? When the trident comes it is 'broken'. It needs to be calibrated.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant use a salifert test to check a trident can you? The whole goal of a trident was accuracy and precision - unless you calibrate it you dont have a clue what you're looking at. If you didnt care whether the alkalinity was 8 or 8.5 why get a trident? When the trident comes it is 'broken'. It needs to be calibrated.

You pose a valid point, but on the other hand, if the Trident comes 'not broken', then why re-calibrate it. I've spot checked it through my month of it being in use, and it has tied out to Salifert within a very reasonable margin of error (there's always a margin of error, whether salifert or Trident itself; hobbyist testing titration methodologies aren't that precise). I have the calibration solution, so maybe I'll just do it tonight.

Honestly, I don't care about whether my alkalinity is 8.5 or 8.0. I want to see if it is trending, how it is trending, and the relative levels over time. It's a headache and I don't have the time to test once per day, which I have been doing for a number of months trying to diagnose my calcium reactor issues and ultimately dialing it in with a new tank. Now, I see the altitude, I feel confident since it has tied "close enough" with my salifert test kit, and when the slope starts downward, I dial up the calcium reactor needle valve slightly, and can watch to make sure it isn't going too high or too low based on that.

I have an hour and a half of free time per night, just enough time to spend some time with my family and spend a few minutes looking at the tank. I'd rather not spend 20 minutes futzing with the potential of an hour or two of diagnosing if the numbers are off. Trident frees me up from having to do much more than spot check it now and then. I don't need clinical precision, mostly just trends and rough altitude of alkalinity. Same requirements of my corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You pose a valid point, but on the other hand, if the Trident comes 'not broken', then why re-calibrate it. I've spot checked it through my month of it being in use, and it has tied out to Salifert within a very reasonable margin of error (there's always a margin of error, whether salifert or Trident itself; hobbyist testing titration methodologies aren't that precise). I have the calibration solution, so maybe I'll just do it tonight.

Honestly, I don't care about whether my alkalinity is 8.5 or 8.0. I want to see if it is trending, how it is trending, and the relative levels over time. It's a headache and I don't have the time to test once per day, which I have been doing for a number of months trying to diagnose my calcium reactor issues and ultimately dialing it in with a new tank. Now, I see the altitude, I feel confident since it has tied "close enough" with my salifert test kit, and when the slope starts downward, I dial up the calcium reactor needle valve slightly, and can watch to make sure it isn't going too high or too low based on that.

I have an hour and a half of free time per night, just enough time to spend some time with my family and spend a few minutes looking at the tank. I'd rather not spend 20 minutes futzing with the potential of an hour or two of diagnosing if the numbers are off. Trident frees me up from having to do much more than spot check it now and then. I don't need clinical precision, mostly just trends and rough altitude of alkalinity. Same requirements of my corals.

Yea - I wasnt criticizing you. I was just pointing out - its not recommended by Trident to use another kit to check alkalinity with the Trident - its supposed to act as its own 'calibration'. What I dont know - and maybe Neptune can answer - is whether there are other components to the calibration process that are 'required' when its set up for use the first time - or when changing reagents. I have no clue - but from what I understand - it takes like 10 minutes to do - and its done. But - I see your point.

brianbigoats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will more reagent be available on your store ? I am 1/2 thur the current set and was looking to order but none is available - found it by google it

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the recommended dosing products? I'm guessing products meant to be dosed individually as opposed to dosing some type of two part that recommends equal dosing?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back