Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

costacarles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Terence, Thanks for this thread!!

Any scheduled time that the Trident will be available in Europe? Or if there will be any NSI for Europe costumers?

Bryman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new news about Trident, such as if programming will be introduced to increase or decrease dosing in response to fluctuations in Alk / Ca / Mg? This capability could cause a big switch over to DOS dosers instead of other brands if there is integration.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new news about Trident, such as if programming will be introduced to increase or decrease dosing in response to fluctuations in Alk / Ca / Mg? This capability could cause a big switch over to DOS dosers instead of other brands if there is integration.

I was literally coming on here to post about this. I was thinking about this this weekend about how nice it would be to have dynamic dosing based on the input variables (tank size, relative consumption/historical consumption, and current level). Look forward to more data points about our aquariums :)

Bryman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think this product could be the holy grail of reef equipment if intelligence is built-in to adjust dosing. Can you imagine a set-it-and-forget it reef tank? Just change your reagents and Alk/Ca/Mg when it alerts you and no more manual water tests or daily tweaking as your corals grow. Neptune could even release their own Alk/Ca/Mg dosing liquids that are pre-calibrated in the Neptune ecosystem to work with the automated dosing and everyone would buy them just to get this functionality.

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick thought but could the apex begin to predict if alk is off and test. For example, apex knows the tanks daily pH swing and dosing amounts. If the pH swing is higher than normal, could the trident say I need to test alk because consumption is probably up due to higher pH? Are there other variables apex has access to that could help with such predictions?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick thought but could the apex begin to predict if alk is off and test. For example, apex knows the tanks daily pH swing and dosing amounts. If the pH swing is higher than normal, could the trident say I need to test alk because consumption is probably up due to higher pH? Are there other variables apex has access to that could help with such predictions?

@Randy Holmes-Farley
With PH it could be used to have a virtual outlet that would turn on.

Ie

OSC 000:001:120 Then ON
If pH <7.80 Then OFF
If pH >8.40 Then OFF

Then ON the trident if the outlet is on then test alk.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the trident use he same vial to test all 3 reagents? Also what is the ectiveness of washing this vile? I would imaging over time residues would build up that could skew results. Any comment on this area?

Reactions: clp

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big question is can you make this work with a calcium reactor and have the apex control the ph solenoid like i currently have it, except turn it off and on based upon the alk level instead of ph level

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the trident use he same vial to test all 3 reagents? Also what is the ectiveness of washing this vile? I would imaging over time residues would build up that could skew results. Any comment on this area?

I think with the minimum testing period it probably prevents that.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big question is can you make this work with a calcium reactor and have the apex control the ph solenoid like i currently have it, except turn it off and on based upon the alk level instead of ph level

I would bet money you could as thats the whole point. The beauty of having it work with apex vs standalone is that you can program the apex to decide "what to do" with the information from the trident. The possibilities are endless and Im sure we haven't even scratched the surface.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Disclaimer: I have not even seen the Trident, so this is pure conjecture

The concern with using the same vial would be residue from one test interfering with the next. This is strictly dependent on the test chemistry. If the Trident does use a single vial to run the tests I would assume that Neptune has addressed this issue.

Regarding cleaning, the frequent test interval may prevent buildup, the supplies may include a cleaning solution to rinse the vial afterwards, and/or there may be a recommended cleaning interval for the vail as part of routine maintenance for the system. Terrance would be the best person to answer this.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would likely be possible but I doubt we would do any built-in automation for this as there are too many variables. You could though have the solenoid go off completely, but then you would have these crazy oscillations in the reactor. I think we will let our customers test this one out and see what they come up with!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: I have not even seen the Trident, so this is pure conjecture

The concern with using the same vial would be residue from one test interfering with the next. This is strictly dependent on the test chemistry. If the Trident does use a single vial to run the tests I would assume that Neptune has addressed this issue.

Regarding cleaning, the frequent test interval may prevent buildup, the supplies may include a cleaning solution to rinse the vial afterwards, and/or there may be a recommended cleaning interval for the vail as part of routine maintenance for the system. Terrance would be the best person to answer this.
There is just one vial (cuvette). The Trident's methodology uses a not-to-be-disclosed-here proprietary rinse process. :)

The cuvette will need to be changed at some point in the product lifetime. At this point, the one on the original prototypes is still going strong and has not needed replacing. Mine has gone through at least 2000 tests already - and is still going.

alanjeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the follow on question is how do you know when the cuvette requires replacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back