OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up for night shift, too a quick picture of the Monti. It's polyps are out really night right now. I've noticed It's the one coral in my tank that doesn't always have polyps out when the light is on.

4b91d423c29c0c75aff98c0f546f1598.jpg

Also, little bit of a minor crisis, my coral beauty has somehow managed to squeeze thru the overflow come out the top of the filter sock, go thru the empty sump sound and end up in the return pump section. She's unarmed from what I can tell, but now I need to figure out how to get her out.

7b470525fce81c1cd343c2627b013823.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, angelfish is rescued. I had to syphon out almost all the water from the back of the tank, melt a hole in a little cup they use to ship corals, tie on a piece of fishing line and tip the tank over so all the water went to the cup. We all know fish have an instinct to swim into current or into shallow water when they feel threatened... Took about an hour but she finally, in a fit of panic from lying on her side, flopped into the cup and I was able to pull her out. I'll have to figure out some way to keep her from doing that again in the future. The fiancee said, "She tried to pull a Nemo and es-ka-pé?"

I wasn't planning on doing a water change until Saturday...

eb280eed79e48c02ef671ac30b7054d7.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and order the inTank media basket I've been wanting tonight at work. No more cleaning filter sock and hopefully no more escaped fish. At least, if she does escape she won't be able to get out the top into the sump.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a rough drawing of the sump section of the tank if you were looking at it from the back. Water overflows on the right into the first section with the filter sock. In then flows up thru the second section and spills over into the third. The beauty was hiding all the way under the first and second sections. I removed the return pump and placed the cup there with just enough water to keep the fish swimming but her back was out off the water. Once I tipped the tank over a little, most of the water was in the cup.

41eb1be9c1765fa9498028782b74e5d5.jpg

SM_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a real nice nano! I don't see a problem with anything you've been doing. I had a 5gal fluval nano tank I set up primarily sps for some time, my problem was keeping up on my own schedule of weekly water changes and not having an ATO setup, and as you know with a smaller body of water problems can occur very quickly and the number one thing to pay attention to in reefing is stability. So now it sits with a maxi anemone and a RBT anemone, nice and easy. =] For someone who says they are new to the hobby, it definitely looks like you've done the correct research! Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a real nice nano! I don't see a problem with anything you've been doing. I had a 5gal fluval nano tank I set up primarily sps for some time, my problem was keeping up on my own schedule of weekly water changes and not having an ATO setup, and as you know with a smaller body of water problems can occur very quickly and the number one thing to pay attention to in reefing is stability. So now it sits with a maxi anemone and a RBT anemone, nice and easy. =] For someone who says they are new to the hobby, it definitely looks like you've done the correct research! Keep up the great work!
Thank you. I would call diving into the salt water side in February new. I've been fish keeping since middle school age and I'm now 32(almost). I'm thoroughly enjoying the dark side. [emoji48]

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my goodies! Aqua Gadget desktop fish guard, inTank media basket, two sided white/blue filter floss, Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite. I'll probably not use the purigen or chemi pure for a little while. I'm not having a problem with nutrients at the moment but they'll be there when I need them. Everything gets here Thursday. Gotta love Amazon Prime 2 day shipping.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New goodies came in today! Only had time to open up the fish guard because the fiancee said we had to go to Bed Bath and Beyond to do our registry. Yea, I'm just here for moral support... But, pictures!
de04c42798b3839571315f993a140892.jpg

6e27ed14ac8d686ef3f770b1105e5d62.jpg

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... My fiancee is killing me trying to pay for our wedding while I'm trying to buy reef tank stuff... I need to get her priorities in order! (Don't tell her I said that [emoji23])

Best thing I've ever seen! This is this hobby in a nutshell..sadly..once it grabs you, consider yourself done!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm back home to play with the fish tank. I decided to go ahead and use the purigen and chemipure in the media basket. I've been having to scrape the glass daily so there's enough nutrients for algae to grow. The media basket is very well made, and fits in the tank perfectly. I cut a piece of filter floss for tge top, purigen went in middle and the chemipure in the bottom. The fish guard just clips on to the top of the acrylic sump divider and covers the over flow. It restricts flow a bit, but not overflowing the DT restricting. It raised my tank level about a 1/2". I picked up a Mag-Float mini from the chain pet store. The magnet is pretty weak, but it still cleans algae after a few passes. Also got two 64oz Mason jars for dosing containers while I was out. Thanks for the suggestion @saltyfilmfolks.
d8f2e260fa3609a948142151dde53ef9.jpg

299ce91af380cca88274dbafc0d1f83a.jpg

4aca9fa088764a7c4245d50d23683478.jpg

c117e439f5e6cb9ee10623ea138e69b9.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Keep an eye for the plastic lids.
(Yes honey they're cheap)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth on this green seriatopora just amazes me. It was loose last week and I could see it move like a tree about to fall with the flow. I pulled it off and had to trim some of the super glue and I think, in the process of cutting glue with the dikes, I broke two more branches. [emoji17]

The rose stylophora that was looking rough with exposed tips is now healing and has gotten a lot more color.

Blue stylophora has almost completely encrusted its frag plug.

Corals are looking so good, I think I'm gonna go to the LFS tomorrow and get another frag or two. I'm thinking a forest fire digi and maybe an acro.

6966716f3c3a1255e712f57d3aa50d3a.jpg

caf8f4dc2e02689bed540bcefdf89d9a.jpg

6bacf7ff61ebabe9bcce6f8a006974cb.jpg

83db62ffc29c747936fae0aed5316037.jpg

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a rough drawing of the sump section of the tank if you were looking at it from the back. Water overflows on the right into the first section with the filter sock. In then flows up thru the second section and spills over into the third. The beauty was hiding all the way under the first and second sections. I removed the return pump and placed the cup there with just enough water to keep the fish swimming but her back was out off the water. Once I tipped the tank over a little, most of the water was in the cup.

41eb1be9c1765fa9498028782b74e5d5.jpg
THANK YOU! Why have I not seen this already. I'll order one tonight!
I cannot tell you the many turmoils ive had with IM overflows. Oh my GOD, so much time!! First a pederson shrimp, then an African blue stripe pipefish (X3), then a rose goby (X2), then a flag tail pipefish, then a rainfordi goby, then a bubble tipped anemone, and finally a yellow stripe clingfish. Most of the fish went into the deepest part like yours. I was running a sicce syncra, forget the actual model, without the guard. The only fish that died was the clingfish, by means of stupidity (AKA my taking off of the pump guard); and he was hard to come by too..

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back