Turtle's Fairy Tale

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How goes the floors? Its gonna be sweet when its done, then the kitchen floor will drive you nuts:p Lot of guys with health issues in the auto plants on M/N shift, hair falling out to EYE'S going cross:eek: I cant do'um

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How goes the floors? Its gonna be sweet when its done, then the kitchen floor will drive you nuts:p Lot of guys with health issues in the auto plants on M/N shift, hair falling out to EYE'S going cross:eek: I cant do'um
I did solo overnights for 3 or 4 years. Aside from losing 20 lb's I lost almost all touch with the regular world and would go weeks without having a meaningful conversation. Not sure how people manage that existence for longer periods of time.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Turtle... where ya been?

So, here goes the progress on the floor. Been a week of busting tail...

So we finished sanding the floors on Thursday around lunch. Everything is all nice and smooth, some old damaged spots and cracks filled with putty, swept and vacuumed.

20180621_182205.jpg

Run up to Lowe's to pick out stain. So many choices... I wanted to go back with something dark. It's an old abused floor with tons of... "character," yea we'll call it character. I think dark just fits it. The color we picked was Red Mahogany from Minwax.

20180622_222003.jpg
20180622_224011.jpg

It's drying overnight, hopefully it'll be ready for urethane in the morning. We picked the Helmsman Spar Urethane in a gloss finish for its water sealing capabilities.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a quick livestock update... 5 fish a shrimp and a handful of snails and hermits are still kicking. Or swimming... maybe the shrimp and hermits are kicking. Oh and I guess the snails are... snailing?

Anyway, all LPS are great. The no name acro went and shed all its skin when I moved them. The tri color has a spot that looks like it lost some tissue but the rest is still looking healthy and colorful. Jury is still out on it. The bubble gum and 24k digi... don't look like they made it either. :(

So, you never told us where exactly you moved everything to.

Right, so we bought a 36 gallon bowfront a while back. It's been sitting waiting on the 90 cube to get set up and running and it's going to be a high tech planned tank with south american cichlids to replace the little 10 gallon planted tank I have in the bedroom. Or, that's the plan. Right now, it's in the office acting as a life support system for my reef.

20180622_225844.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So we finished sanding the floors on Thursday around lunch. Everything is all nice and smooth, some old damaged spots and cracks filled with putty, swept and vacuumed.

20180621_182205.jpg

Run up to Lowe's to pick out stain. So many choices... I wanted to go back with something dark. It's an old abused floor with tons of... "character," yea we'll call it character. I think dark just fits it. The color we picked was Red Mahogany from Minwax.

20180622_222003.jpg
20180622_224011.jpg

It's drying overnight, hopefully it'll be ready for urethane in the morning. We picked the Helmsman Spar Urethane in a gloss finish for its water sealing capabilities.
That really turned out well, great job!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180621_182205.jpg

20180622_222003.jpg
20180622_224011.jpg

Wow! That turned out amazing!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on that floor brotha!
Merci beaucoup...

Its not perfect, I have some gouges and uneven spots around the edges... but they will be easy enough to hide. At least the major traffic areas are fixed and its shiny again. If it ever needs redone again, it'll have to be replaced. This is its last leg.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, back at work... but, I figured I'd show you what I got accomplished over the weekend.

20180623_190559.jpg

Part of my living room is back... YAY! TV and Xbox! The coffee table is too heavy and long for me to solo, and the next part of my couch is a 45°, and its also too heavy and big for me to solo without dragging it across my newly resurfaced floor.

I also managed to move my new stand inside... and its level right where it is... just like the last one was. Before I set the tank up I'm going to place a few jacks under the house and maybe a 6x4 under the joists. Just to make extra sure the floor is solid and not going to sag any when weight is applied.

20180625_185855.jpg

Alright, so it's 4.5" off the wall, 13.5" from the fireplace and 13" from the dining room entry. It doesnt look like it, but the light is centered. At least the level said it is. I'll plum bob it before I set the tank on it. Holes are kinda drilled for the light, and the stand can move.

... yes, I know the sea turtle painting isn't centered. It's moving elsewhere. That was above the Deep Blue, its not at tall as this tank.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, back at work... but, I figured I'd show you what I got accomplished over the weekend.

20180623_190559.jpg

Part of my living room is back... YAY! TV and Xbox! The coffee table is too heavy and long for me to solo, and the next part of my couch is a 45°, and its also too heavy and big for me to solo without dragging it across my newly resurfaced floor.

I so managed to move my new stand inside... and its level right where it is... just like the last one was. Before I set the tank up I'm going to place a few jacks under the house and maybe a 6x4 under the joists. Just to make extra sure the floor is solid and not going to sag any when weight is applied.

20180625_185855.jpg

Alright, so it's 4.5" off the wall, 13.5" from the fireplace and 13" from the dining room entry. It doesnt look like it, but the light is centered. At least the level said it is. I'll plum bob it before I set the tank on it. Holes are kinda drilled for the light, and the stand can move.

... yes, I know the sea turtle painting isn't centered. It's moving elsewhere. That was above the Deep Blue, its not at tall as this tank.

Honestly, my favorite part is that rug. Looks like ocean waves. Excellent job!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back