OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I got to the end of my Hanna reagent I was getting very off readings. My future plan is to just dump the last bit or at least use my Red Sea test to confirm.
I confirmed she did use the syringe to get a precise 5ml. I had 20ml out but the tank dropped a few more dKH than I expected. So I had her get 5ml to add to the 20ml I had already prepared for her. That explains the 20.0 reading for the first one.

I was going to use my Red Sea to confirm, but it expired 2/19 and the reagent in the bottle was no longer red but a pale orange. I have the one that starts blue and changes to red. Color change is very vague and gradual, not sudden or precise at all. Could have been 6 or 12...

I'm sure the tank is close to where it needs to be. I'm going to try and get my skill saw back up and running tomorrow so I can make my shelf to hold the dosing pump. I had to buy a new cable as I accidentally cut the black wire in the cord with the blade and made a terrific fireworks display for a split second until the breaker popped.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I feed my fish. This may get lengthy, and it's not an every night thing. Probably once a week. Most of the time, it's just LRS. Right now the herbivore frenzy is open, bit I also have fish frenzy in the freezer.

First I get a cup of tank water. These are just specimen cups from Amazon. I feed a pretty good chunk of LRS daily. Probably 1"×2". Size varies with what snaps off, but I try and stay around that size.

20190801_181632.jpg

Next I add some of the Elos food. This stuff came free with the Reefer 250 raffle my girlfriend won this past spring. Just now getting around to using it. This one is the cyclops pods. There's millions in the can. Makes the tank look like a snow globe and the corals really have a good feeding response. The fish go after them as well. I feed 1/4tsp.

20190801_181644.jpg
20190801_181649.jpg

Even tho I'm using the Herbivore frenzy and feed nori, I like to add some algae in the cup. These are the Reef Interests Nannoflakes DHA+. My dog got ahold of the can and chewed it pretty good, but didn't get in. I just put them in a rubber made bowl as the lid was chewed up and difficult to open and close. I really like these flakes as they smell really fresh and the fish seem to have a good responce to them. I add a pinch or so.

20190801_181731.jpg
20190801_181748.jpg

The last food I add currently is the Reef Nutrition R.O.E. The fish love eating these when I do them in the tank as the drops stay together for a second before the flow breaks the individual eggs apart. My clowns will practically let me drop this stuff in their mouths. It got mixed in the cup with everything else tonight tho. LPS corals have a good feeding response to this as well.

20190801_182024.jpg

So there it is. An amalgamation of foods to feed everything in my tank. Sometimes I add reef roids, but most of the time that stuff just ends up as gunk down in the sump. It just seems too dehydrated to the point of being almost hydrophobic.

20190801_181757.jpg

I leave all flow on to spread the food around the tank. I do put the return pump in feed mode for 10 minutes. The corals can catch more food with the flow on, and the copperband gets all spooked when there is no flow and all the other fish clean house before he gets any. As you can see, it gets quite cloudy, and this was after they had eaten most of the LRS.

20190801_182632.jpg

The Menagerie does get 1ml of the same mixture. Whatever it ends up being that day. With only 2 small fish, they do not need much over there. For that tank I do turn off all flow, the return and both power heads. Blaze and Ember both are not shy about feeding time and coexist very well together. You could probably call them tank buddies.

20190801_182319.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I feed my fish. This may get lengthy, and it's not an every night thing. Probably once a week. Most of the time, it's just LRS. Right now the herbivore frenzy is open, bit I also have fish frenzy in the freezer.

First I get a cup of tank water. These are just specimen cups from Amazon. I feed a pretty good chunk of LRS daily. Probably 1"×2". Size varies with what snaps off, but I try and stay around that size.

20190801_181632.jpg

Next I add some of the Elos food. This stuff came free with the Reefer 250 raffle my girlfriend won this past spring. Just now getting around to using it. This one is the cyclops pods. There's millions in the can. Makes the tank look like a snow globe and the corals really have a good feeding response. The fish go after them as well. I feed 1/4tsp.

20190801_181644.jpg
20190801_181649.jpg

Even tho I'm using the Herbivore frenzy and feed nori, I like to add some algae in the cup. These are the Reef Interests Nannoflakes DHA+. My dog got ahold of the can and chewed it pretty good, but didn't get in. I just put them in a rubber made bowl as the lid was chewed up and difficult to open and close. I really like these flakes as they smell really fresh and the fish seem to have a good responce to them. I add a pinch or so.

20190801_181731.jpg
20190801_181748.jpg

The last food I add currently is the Reef Nutrition R.O.E. The fish love eating these when I do them in the tank as the drops stay together for a second before the flow breaks the individual eggs apart. My clowns will practically let me drop this stuff in their mouths. It got mixed in the cup with everything else tonight tho. LPS corals have a good feeding response to this as well.

20190801_182024.jpg

So there it is. An amalgamation of foods to feed everything in my tank. Sometimes I add reef roids, but most of the time that stuff just ends up as gunk down in the sump. It just seems too dehydrated to the point of being almost hydrophobic.

20190801_181757.jpg

I leave all flow on to spread the food around the tank. I do put the return pump in feed mode for 10 minutes. The corals can catch more food with the flow on, and the copperband gets all spooked when there is no flow and all the other fish clean house before he gets any. As you can see, it gets quite cloudy, and this was after they had eaten most of the LRS.

20190801_182632.jpg

The Menagerie does get 1ml of the same mixture. Whatever it ends up being that day. With only 2 small fish, they do not need much over there. For that tank I do turn off all flow, the return and both power heads. Blaze and Ember both are not shy about feeding time and coexist very well together. You could probably call them tank buddies.

20190801_182319.jpg
They are definitely tank buddies!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have just found a CBB superfood. I knew they liked anemones, feather dusters and worms. So, I had these cans of the Elos food. I was looking thru what I had, because I thought one of them was worms. Sure enough, chironomus. Blood worms.

20190802_220624.jpg

Pop the can open and... whew, they sure smell "fresh." I had noticed the can of pods had a strong fish food(bait) smell to it so it wasn't a complete surprise.

20190802_220658.jpg

Grabbed a pinch and dropped it in front of the gyre. Worms everywhere, fish in a frenzy, CBB in the middle... yes...

In. The. Middle.

He didn't stay long. He quickly retreated to the bottom out of the competition, but still watched him hunt a few of the worms down. Then he did it lap of the acans to see if any of them had caught a worm he could steal.

I have an idea for a type of CBB feeder... may take some planning. It'll look like part of the scape, could maybe even attach it if you didn't mind reaching in the tank to load it. You'd have to anyway to place and retrieve it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have just found a CBB superfood. I knew they liked anemones, feather dusters and worms. So, I had these cans of the Elos food. I was looking thru what I had, because I thought one of them was worms. Sure enough, chironomus. Blood worms.

20190802_220624.jpg

Pop the can open and... whew, they sure smell "fresh." I had noticed the can of pods had a strong fish food(bait) smell to it so it wasn't a complete surprise.

20190802_220658.jpg

Grabbed a pinch and dropped it in front of the gyre. Worms everywhere, fish in a frenzy, CBB in the middle... yes...

In. The. Middle.

He didn't stay long. He quickly retreated to the bottom out of the competition, but still watched him hunt a few of the worms down. Then he did it lap of the acans to see if any of them had caught a worm he could steal.

I have an idea for a type of CBB feeder... may take some planning. It'll look like part of the scape, could maybe even attach it if you didn't mind reaching in the tank to load it. You'd have to anyway to place and retrieve it.

Cool! A feeder would be great for a CBB too.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Hanna alkalinity reagents came in friday. Tested alk friday night and it came out at 7.6dKH. Twice. Test is repeatable so must be right. Not sure how old the old reagent was so we're just going to trust the new one. Dosed 60ml of alk only, as my Ca tested at 460 Friday night. That should have brought me to 9.0. Tested again last night and got 8.2dKH and dosed 50ml of alk only again. I'll test both calcium and alkalinity again tonight.

Makes me wonder tho... if my alkalinity was actually 7.6 while dosing 20ml of each part per day waiting on new reagents, and calcium rose in that time which makes me think alk would have also, was my alk really around 5-6? The old reagent was testing at 8-9...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Ca and Alk again tonight. Couldn't get consistent results with Salifert. Once was 480(went up without dosing?), second was 400, third was off chart, over 1ml of titration. Sooo... I used the Hanna. 420ppm, sounds right, I'll go with it. Alk was 8.7dKH. Dosed ~12ml of soda ash or enough to get to 9.0. I finally think I have this thing on track now. Tomorrow night I'll test alk again and see if we can get a consistent drop every day to get a baseline for dosing.

I've also pretty much decided on upgrading my doser to the ekoral doser. The jebao works, but is a royal pain to program and the time isn't perfect... it's a little fast. Anyway, I kinda just want the tech upgrade also.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB ate very well tonight. He's been getting more and more active in the tank, always hunting for something in the rocks or the algae clips. During feeding time he is very peculiar about which foods he will eat... has to be the right size, shape, move the right way, smell the right way? I'm still not sure. He will swim up to a piece of food, study it for a few seconds, pass it up only to dart across the tank and inhale a piece that looks identical to the one he just passed on.

He's healthy, eating, and seems comfortable in his home. The only fish he still raises his dorsal spines at, is the melanarus wrasse who is still probably going to be rehomed. He gets along perfectly with Ahi the tomini, which is good.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB ate very well tonight. He's been getting more and more active in the tank, always hunting for something in the rocks or the algae clips. During feeding time he is very peculiar about which foods he will eat... has to be the right size, shape, move the right way, smell the right way? I'm still not sure. He will swim up to a piece of food, study it for a few seconds, pass it up only to dart across the tank and inhale a piece that looks identical to the one he just passed on.

He's healthy, eating, and seems comfortable in his home. The only fish he still raises his dorsal spines at, is the melanarus wrasse who is still probably going to be rehomed. He gets along perfectly with Ahi the tomini, which is good.
That is great to hear! Too many sad CBB stories about them not eating. Glad yours is a trend breaker!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great to hear! Too many sad CBB stories about them not eating. Glad yours is a trend breaker!
I'm extremely relieved. I was still a little worried but it was a good price and he looked too healthy for a fish that had been at the LFS for two weeks to not be eating. He showed interest in LRS at the store, but didn't seem like he was eating. I just wasn't used to how a CBB eats. They study their food a lot more than most fish. I guess when you have a highly specialized mouth for eating certain things, you're careful about what you cram in there. He's the biggest fish in my tank, and probably has one of the smallest, and most definitely longest mouths.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk was 8.6 tonight. Dosed 15ml of BRS 2 part. It's looking like I have 0.4dKH drop per day. I'l keep testing for the rest of the week then lock it in on once weekly.

Also, meet Aphrodite the CBB. Yep, came up with a name. Copper was associated with the Greek goddess of beauty because of its luster and use in early mirrors.

20190805_224111.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk was at 8.6 tonight, dosed approximately 12ml of BRS 2 part. I'll have to switch over to ATI here soon, just want to make sure I have a stable reading before then.
I think I missed it. Why are you switching to the ATI?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More complete 2 part with major and trace elements.
I was hoping that was the case. I'm curious to see how it works for you. I'm thinking of doing something similar for the same reasons. I figure I'll need to do this before demand gets high enough to justify a calcium reactor.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that was the case. I'm curious to see how it works for you. I'm thinking of doing something similar for the same reasons. I figure I'll need to do this before demand gets high enough to justify a calcium reactor.
I'd like a calcium reactor for the constant flow of effluent and stable parameters... but I can't justify the initial price right now. Not at ~13ml of BRS 2 part a day. Maybe once I get this tank stable and actually growing SPS and my demand goes up. Way up

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like a calcium reactor for the constant flow of effluent and stable parameters... but I can't justify the initial price right now. Not at ~13ml of BRS 2 part a day. Maybe once I get this tank stable and actually growing SPS and my demand goes up. Way up
Between Kalk and BRS 2 part I'm dosing the equivalent of around 85ml per day. I'm still thinking that isn't high enough to justify the calcium reactor.
But it is going to make the more "full featured" dosing chemicals pricey.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between Kalk and BRS 2 part I'm dosing the equivalent of around 85ml per day. I'm still thinking that isn't high enough to justify the calcium reactor.
But it is going to make the more "full featured" dosing chemicals pricey.
For my tank at estimated 60 gallons(kinda reverse calculated from dosing X amount of 2 part and testing where my parameters went, then plugging that in to BRS calculator until everything matched) a 0.4dKH drop would be a 17.1ml daily dose of BRS 2 part.

Using the ATI calculator and the same parameters, it would be a 6.4ml daily dose for undiluted essentials pro. It seems to be a bit more concentrated than the BRS 2 part.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back