What killed this Flame Angelfish?

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently bought a Flame Angelfish that unfortunately passed in less than a day. I was wondering what killed it. I noticed that it was breathing pretty quickly and had white bubbles all over it. Attached is the best picture I could get of it, you might notice some of it on the tail. I brought the body back to the LFS and they said it did not look like velvet and I should not worry too much about my other fish if they are acting alright. I was wondering if anyone had an idea? I currently have 2 clownfish and a Midas that look like they are eating well and breathing normally i think. Should I be concerned for my other fish? Thanks for all of the help.

DDB9AC73-A570-4276-9EB6-2BA000CE73E2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to say from the photo. I’m not sure I understand the timeline: did it die Less than a day After you brought it home? That means it was very sick when you bought it, or something went wrong with the transport/acclimation . If you had it a few days and then you saw symptoms and it died in a day, then probably Amyloodinium (velvet). Watch your other fish very closely.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought it from a lfs in the evening, and the next evening I noticed the symptoms. That evening is when it passed away. It looked like it had a bunch of white specs on it but when the LFS looked at the body they said they did not see any evidence of velvet. I have never seen velvet before so I am unsure if I am simply paranoid. When I looked at the dead flame as well there were no specs, but I do not know if the velvet specs disappear when the fish dies.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they didn’t use a microscope, they couldn’t know for sure. Improper acclimation will kill a fish in a day, but won’t create spots on the fish.
Jay

ReefGamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a bunch of white specs then most likely velvet and the LFS doesnt want to admit you got a fish with velvet from them. That’s what this sounds like. Either way, sorry about the loss man :( j don’t know what a dead fish who had velvet looks like though. I imagine if you had velvet already in the tank then the other fish would have had it, but I guess it’s possible.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jay, sounds like velvet especially if you saw a bunch of white specs on the angel. Keep a close eye on your other fish for symptoms such as swimming into the flow of powerheads, rapid breathing and hiding from light.

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any chance that if it was velvet the other fish are going to be ok? Or is it inevitable that theyll get velvet and I should start up a hospital tank right away

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that if it was velvet the other fish are going to be ok? Or is it inevitable that theyll get velvet and I should start up a hospital tank right away
I’d set up a hospital tank, you can use it to quarantine new fish if you don’t end up having an outbreak.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like velvet or crypto . I too would question acclimation and health of the fish when it was acquired.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back