Worm ID (microscope pictures and video)

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody ID these? I get these tiny worms that start crawling on the glass if I disturb the sand bed when cleaning. I'm pretty sure that they are some type of detritus worm and I'm not worried about them at all. I just enjoy identifying organisms as I find them, though I couldn't find these anywhere.

The first picture is the head of the worm with what I am assuming are siphons or feeding tubes? The second picture is the back half of the worm which looks like there is another one growing from it, assuming some type of binary fission.

Also included are two videos showing the worm in it's entirety

Worm on Glass_01.jpg
Worm on Glass_02.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't identify them. But I just wanted to compliment you on such detailed and focused microscope shots. Well done.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possibly a dorvillidae. Can you post a pic of actual worm under white lighting ?

OP
OP
namfuak

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't identify them. But I just wanted to compliment you on such detailed and focused microscope shots. Well done.

Thank you! I wish I had a better digital camera for the microscope, .5MP isn't cutting it.

Possibly a dorvillidae. Can you post a pic of actual worm under white lighting ?

That's as white as I would be able to get it under the microscope. If I took a picture of it on the glass, you wouldn't be able to make it out. They are about the width of a copepod, maybe 5x the length.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I wish I had a better digital camera for the microscope, .5MP isn't cutting it.
I use this universal smartphone adapter to hold my iPhone camera lens to the microscope eyepiece. It works great and the iPhone camera at 12MP produces great photos and video.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.49.38 PM.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

That's as white as I would be able to get it under the microscope. If I took a picture of it on the glass, you wouldn't be able to make it out. They are about the width of a copepod, maybe 5x the length.
Regular pic i meant- not microscope image

OP
OP
namfuak

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this universal smartphone adapter to hold my iPhone camera lens to the microscope eyepiece. It works great and the iPhone camera at 12MP produces great photos and video.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.49.38 PM.png

Thank you for the link! I've been debating on getting one of those or getting a better imager. I should probably just go with the adapter based on the cost. I know that if I get a 5MP imager, I'll quickly feel that it too is inadequate.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only type of worm I can think with tentacles coming out of the head are spaghetti worms but I can't find enough microscopic pics to say its a spaghetti worm with any confidence.

I am currently using my microscope to ID the micro fauna in my tank as well. It's fun, isn't it.

See @Peace River , there is interest in a section devoted to microscopes!

OP
OP
namfuak

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only type of worm I can think with tentacles coming out of the head are spaghetti worms but I can't find enough microscopic pics to say its a spaghetti worm with any confidence.

I am currently using my microscope to ID the micro fauna in my tank as well. It's fun, isn't it.

See @Peace River , there is interest in a section devoted to microscopes!

A forum devoted to microscopes would be great. I find that many reefers own one and often use it. A sticky with algae/animal ID as well to quickly look through.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 tentacles are spinoid worms and a handful is spaghetti worm
Pics would be super helpful

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back