Yellow coris missing after being out constantly

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally happened. I'm hoping our smaller yellow coris wrasse is just hiding. It's been out swimming and eating since we got it a month ago. Haven't seen it the last 2 days. No signs of it around the tank. Fingers crossed its in the sand. Isn't this normal for these fish?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any other fish after? What fish in the tank? Wrasses can stay gone for extended periods when new in the tank.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any other fish after? What fish in the tank? Wrasses can stay gone for extended periods when new in the tank.
Added a few others at the same time (Lubbock fairy, pintail fairy), and already had an established melanaurus. The Mel never even looked twice at the coris, actually swam together.

No other aggressive fish at all. We did recently add 2 small Royal Grammas but they were smaller than the wrasse.

Just seemed odd to suddenly go Mia

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 wrasses including a yellow coris. I could see the Mel maybe intimidating him because they are both hunting pests in the rocks. It's possible he's hiding and hopefully will turn up. Monitor ammonia periodically just to be safe in case he didn't survive.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not around the tank where I can see and don't see it anywhere in the rocks, but there definitely are spots where it could be if dead. Weird the Mel if it turned aggressive, did after being so peaceful with it. It immediately went after our Lubbock wrasse, but the Coris seemed to be its friend lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well finally happened. I'm hoping our smaller yellow coris wrasse is just hiding. It's been out swimming and eating since we got it a month ago. Haven't seen it the last 2 days. No signs of it around the tank. Fingers crossed its in the sand. Isn't this normal for these fish?
Check overflow, sump and I hate to say, even the floor around the tank. While they are great hiders, food almost always brings them out

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not around the tank where I can see and don't see it anywhere in the rocks, but there definitely are spots where it could be if dead. Weird the Mel if it turned aggressive, did after being so peaceful with it. It immediately went after our Lubbock wrasse, but the Coris seemed to be its friend lol
I think mine was gone for 5 days when I first got him.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if he was transitioning at all?
Wrasses that sleep in the sand often go MIA when finishing the transition. My jade vanished yesterday and i feel like he is starting to finish his transition.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my coris wrasse goes to sleep in the sand I can usually see him under my tank. If your sand bed isn’t too deep and you have glass under the tank and can see it maybe you’ll find where he’s sleeping.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if he was transitioning at all?
Wrasses that sleep in the sand often go MIA when finishing the transition. My jade vanished yesterday and i feel like he is starting to finish his transition.
No I didn't.... He was probably only 2" or less? Pretty small one

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my coris wrasse goes to sleep in the sand I can usually see him under my tank. If your sand bed isn’t too deep and you have glass under the tank and can see it maybe you’ll find where he’s sleeping.
I could always see them in our qt. In our main though, we laid down those black plastic sheets for the rocks not to sit directly on the glass. Screwed myself there lol

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a week now and no sight of it. I'm thinking somehow we lost it unfortunately.

Are yellow and purple wrasse the same as these yellow coris? Both look amazing, and we definitely want one.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here was the little guy we had. Highlighter of a fish

Resized_20230104_143648.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a week now and no sight of it. I'm thinking somehow we lost it unfortunately.

Are yellow and purple wrasse the same as these yellow coris? Both look amazing, and we definitely want one.
I just watched my LFS guy search a tank for 10 minutes for a small red coris wrasse that we all know is in there but he could not find him. He sifted all the sand moved the rocks etc... figures he is deep in a hole in the rock somewhere and will come out when he is ready.

Dont give up hope yet but checks all around the floor and overflow again. Do you have a tank lid?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched my LFS guy search a tank for 10 minutes for a small red coris wrasse that we all know is in there but he could not find him. He sifted all the sand moved the rocks etc... figures he is deep in a hold in the rock somewhere and will come out when he is ready.

Dont give up hope yet but checks all around the floor and overflow again. Do you have a tank lid?
We do have a lid. We have 3 tidal hob filters, and that's the only gap in the lid is where they flow into the tank. Sides and everything is covered. Really don't think it could have gotten out, but not impossible. It stayed pretty low to mid water as well. Never did swim up top. Buried every night in our zoa area.

Haven't seen any signs of it on the floor, but we also have 2 cats lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back