Zeolite + Carbon

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run zeolite and carbon in a reactor?
I was at a LFS last week and a guy who worked there told me they run zeolite and activated carbon in reactors in their shop tanks, and he even gave me a small bucket of zeolite for free to try out. He said it keeps ammonia, phosphates and nitrates under control and any other bad stuff that's in the water column. So I'm wondering if this is a common practise people do, good or bad and whether or not I should try it, and FYI my nitrates are on the high end currently.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run zeolite and carbon in a reactor?
I was at a LFS last week and a guy who worked there told me they run zeolite and activated carbon in reactors in their shop tanks, and he even gave me a small bucket of zeolite for free to try out. He said it keeps ammonia, phosphates and nitrates under control and any other bad stuff that's in the water column. So I'm wondering if this is a common practise people do, good or bad and whether or not I should try it, and FYI my nitrates are on the high end currently.
Not sure I fully understand the question.
Is it:
Is it OK running zeolite and GAC in the same reactor?
or:
Is it OK to run zeolite?

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I fully understand the question.
Is it:
Is it OK running zeolite and GAC in the same reactor?
or:
Is it OK to run zeolite?
Sorry, I meant just running zeolite in your tank in general. There doesn’t seem to be much written about it on here, and I wanted to know if people do use it. Running it together with carbon shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think either.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope so with the number of people that use Chemi-Pure Blue.

There is no zeolite in Chemipure Blue. I also would not accept the Chemipure Blur claims relating to phosphate as accurate, but it's a fine way to bind organics, if that is your goal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant just running zeolite in your tank in general. There doesn’t seem to be much written about it on here, and I wanted to know if people do use it. Running it together with carbon shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think either.

I don't see any benefit to using a zeolite in a reef tank unless, like zeovit, you are using it as a place for bacteria to grow when dosing organic carbon.

If you have a problem with excessive nitrate, there are far better ways to deal with it than binding a small amount of ammonia to a zeolite. It is not going to bind appreciable phosphate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any benefit to using a zeolite in a reef tank unless, like zeovit, you are using it as a place for bacteria to grow when dosing organic carbon.

If you have a problem with excessive nitrate, there are far better ways to deal with it than binding a small amount of ammonia to a zeolite. It is going to bind appreciable phosphate.
Thanks Randy, looks like the zeolite can stay in the bucket. With high nitrates (mine are 30) what would be the best way of reducing them? All but one of my corals seem to be thriving (a torch is looking bleached) and I don’t know if the nitrates are the issue. All the other parameters are within acceptable ranges using Hanna and salifert.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, looks like the zeolite can stay in the bucket. With high nitrates (mine are 30) what would be the best way of reducing them? All but one of my corals seem to be thriving (a torch is looking bleached) and I don’t know if the nitrates are the issue. All the other parameters are within acceptable ranges using Hanna and salifert.

I doubt 30 ppm nitrate is causing bleached coral. Make sure phosphate is not too low.

Good ways to reduce nitrate are organic carbon dosing, skimming more or other organic export methods, growing macroalgae and other algae growth methods, deep sand beds, carbon and sulfur denitrators, and denitrifying media.

This has more:

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt 30 ppm nitrate is causing bleached coral. Make sure phosphate is not too low.

Good ways to reduce nitrate are organic carbon dosing, skimming more or other organic export methods, growing macroalgae and other algae growth methods, deep sand beds, carbon and sulfur denitrators, and denitrifying media.

This has more:
Thanks, these are my parameters from yesterday. I also run activated carbon in a small reactor, tank is 65g.
IMG_6322.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a problem with excessive nitrate, there are far better ways to deal with it than binding a small amount of ammonia to a zeolite. It is going to bind appreciable phosphate.
Wait, did I read that correctly? Are you saying zeolites bind a lot of phosphates? I always thought zeolites didn’t adsorb PO4.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, did I read that correctly? Are you saying zeolites bind a lot of phosphates? I always thought zeolites didn’t adsorb PO4.

You read it right, but I wrote it wrong. lol It's a not. :)

Last edited:

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are or at least there were lot of people especially in Europe using zeolites so called Zeovit method with great success. Some of the best SPS tanks were running Zeo. It is kind of religion :). Korallen Zucht, Fauna Marin, Aquaforest still offer zeolites and provide methodology (program).
But agree zeolite will not solve high nitrate problem.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont agree Zeovit method is based on organic carbon dosing. None of the "basic four" supplements (ZeoBak, ZeoFood, ZeoStart and Zeolites) contains significant amount of organic carbon. I would say the amount of acetic acid in there is equivalent of few drops of vinegar in 26 gal of water which is practically nothing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont agree Zeovit method is based on organic carbon dosing. None of the "basic four" supplements (ZeoBak, ZeoFood, ZeoStart and Zeolites) contains significant amount of organic carbon. I would say the amount of acetic acid in there is equivalent of few drops of vinegar in 26 gal of water which is practically nothing.

I'm not claiming it is based on organic carbon dosing, but I don't think the zeolite does anything useful beyond providing a place for bacteria.

What do you think it does?

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not claiming it is based on organic carbon dosing, but I don't think the zeolite does anything useful beyond providing a place for bacteria.

What do you think it does?
I know we are disusing this from decades :) but I do believe zeolites are removing part of the ammonia from the saltwater preventing it from converting to nitrate.

We can continue discussion in this threads:

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read it write, but I wrote it wrong. lol It's a not. :)
Not sure I get that.
It is interesting to know your opinion on phosphate removal by zeolites. There were some papers (wastewater treatment related) stating zeolites can remove maximum 0.03 mg phosphorus per 1 gram zeolite which is not big deal but still something.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are disusing this from decades :) but I do believe zeolites are removing part of the ammonia from the saltwater preventing it from converting to nitrate.

But is that a benefit? And does it bind even at the very low levels of ammonia typically present?

Any a capacity note, do you know how much zeolite is added how often, and has anyone calculated if the capacity at some low level of ammonia in seawater provides a meaningful effect?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back