alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m currently looking at my reefs stock and trying to find the general “rule” for stocking reef tanks.

For context I have a 164L 36 gallon tank with a sump, skimmer, live rock, refugium and it is 2 years old, i’m still slightly newer to corals so it’s a whole new ballpark! i’m very on it with maintenance with weekly water changes, regular testing, dosing for corals, cleaning my skimmer etc.

I have attached an image of my current stocking. What is the general rule for how much you can have in your tank? i’m assuming with my current stock I will want no more small reef fish and just focus on corals?

Any ideas/discussions on stocking ideas more than welcome! I’m loving watching the corals, I especially love ones with movement. I am happy with the 2 SPS, I don’t think i’m wanting to venture into SPS further than these two.

065A1253-8C3D-415E-BA23-AE5BDE974323.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m currently looking at my reefs stock and trying to find the general “rule” for stocking reef tanks.

For context I have a 164L 36 gallon tank with a sump, skimmer, live rock, refugium and it is 2 years old, i’m still slightly newer to corals so it’s a whole new ballpark! i’m very on it with maintenance with weekly water changes, regular testing, dosing for corals, cleaning my skimmer etc.

I have attached an image of my current stocking. What is the general rule for how much you can have in your tank? i’m assuming with my current stock I will want no more small reef fish and just focus on corals?

Any ideas/discussions on stocking ideas more than welcome! I’m loving watching the corals, I especially love ones with movement. I am happy with the 2 SPS, I don’t think i’m wanting to venture into SPS further than these two.

IMO, stocking the tank is a bit on how much can a tank hold with bio load, base dimension (Length x width), rockscape and roommates.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone!

You had very similar fish stocking to my 32g also. You could add something like a pair of Bangaii cardinal fish that hangs out mid-level in the tank (unless your clowns have become very territorial already).

Any pictures to share of the tank? Hard to tell how much room you have for more corals without some visuals

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had very similar fish stocking to my 32g also. You could add something like a pair of Bangaii cardinal fish that hangs out mid-level in the tank (unless your clowns have become very territorial already).

Any pictures to share of the tank? Hard to tell how much room you have for more corals without some visuals
I like that idea a lot, i’ve always loved Banggai!
My clowns are not territorial yet, they’re around 6-7 months old so still very young!

I’ve attached a screenshot from when I was feeding earlier, sorry it’s not the best photo! all my corals are very small at the moment.

I am debating adding another large piece of rock in the part pushed back on the back right, the opposite side of where my heater sits so i have more potential spots for corals to grow out. I’m looking to get some plating Montipora, one of my faves!

Attachments

• 041FE234-C343-47F6-BE34-390AB731F92C.png
    041FE234-C343-47F6-BE34-390AB731F92C.png
    789 KB · Views: 96

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like that idea a lot, i’ve always loved Banggai!
My clowns are not territorial yet, they’re around 6-7 months old so still very young!

I’ve attached a screenshot from when I was feeding earlier, sorry it’s not the best photo! all my corals are very small at the moment.

I am debating adding another large piece of rock in the part pushed back on the back right, the opposite side of where my heater sits so i have more potential spots for corals to grow out. I’m looking to get some plating Montipora, one of my faves!
Nice tank! If you like flowing LPS corals, check out goniopora corals or possible duncan’s.

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! If you like flowing LPS corals, check out goniopora corals or possible duncan’s.
thank you! it’s definitely coming along, I waited far too long to get into corals out of nerves Far different from freshwater plants!

I was actually watching youtube videos on those last night and really liked them, i’m also thinking of an elegance coral too :)

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you! it’s definitely coming along, I waited far too long to get into corals out of nerves Far different from freshwater plants!

I was actually watching youtube videos on those last night and really liked them, i’m also thinking of an elegance coral too :)
Me too! Took too long to get into corals for me also. Very rewarding.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back