75 Gallon Reef Stocking

ZJGMoparman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are several threads out there about stocking a 75 gallon reef. I've tried to read as many of these a possible to developed my stock list. Here are my plans:

Currently in tank:
2 Black Ice Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Red Fire Shrimp

Future plans (In order I plan to add)
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Diamond Goby or Starry Blenny
1 One Spot Foxface
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Is there something you would change or recommend in place of anything in my list?

The tank has been running for 3 months. I have a 40 Gallon sump. Cleanup crew consist of a mixture of blue leg hermits, trochus snails, astrea snails, cerith snails, and nassarious snails. I currently have some zoas, and lps in the tank. After the tank is more established, I plan to add some SPS and a bubble tip anenome.

Also, how many peppermint shrimp would be safe to add with already having 2 cleaner shrimp in the tank?

Thanks in advance!

20200921_195936.jpg 20200921_195823.jpg 20200921_195958.jpg 20200921_200103.jpg 20200921_200137.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendation 1: Try your best to get a captive bred banggai cardinalfish instead of a wild caught one.

Recommendation 2: Don't yellow eye kole tangs get kind of large for a 75? I think a Tomini might be better if you're looking for an algae grazing tang.

Other than that, the only thing that bothers me is the large fish you're adding (Foxface, tang). At maximum size, is there at least 6-8 fish lengths for the fish to swim? Example: in an 18" tank, you could put a 3" fish (6 fish lengths) as long as there was an area for the fish to swim in.

OP
OP
Z

ZJGMoparman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendation 1: Try your best to get a captive bred banggai cardinalfish instead of a wild caught one.

Recommendation 2: Don't yellow eye kole tangs get kind of large for a 75? I think a Tomini might be better if you're looking for an algae grazing tang.

Other than that, the only thing that bothers me is the large fish you're adding (Foxface, tang). At maximum size, is there at least 6-8 fish lengths for the fish to swim? Example: in an 18" tank, you could put a 3" fish (6 fish lengths) as long as there was an area for the fish to swim in.

According to liveaquaria, the minimum tank size for a kole tang is 70 gallons.

Maybe instead of both the foxface and tang, I could substitute the foxface for a coral beauty? I've just read so many contradicting opinions on dwarf angels. The coral beauty is one of my favorite, but the question is.... is it worth the risk of coral nipping.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to liveaquaria, the minimum tank size for a kole tang is 70 gallons.

Maybe instead of both the foxface and tang, I could substitute the foxface for a coral beauty? I've just read so many contradicting opinions on dwarf angels. The coral beauty is one of my favorite, but the question is.... is it worth the risk of coral nipping.
You'll regret the dwarf angel. Foxface is a workhorse algae control. 2nd the tomini tang. May e a tailspot blenny.

OP
OP
Z

ZJGMoparman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll regret the dwarf angel. Foxface is a workhorse algae control. 2nd the tomini tang. May e a tailspot blenny.
I have a tail spot blenny in my 20 gallon nano. One of my favorite fish due to its great personality. However, I would like to have something a little different in my 75.

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my 75 I have

yellow tang
foxface
pair of ocellaris clowns
royal gramma
6 line wrasse
hoven wrasse
lawnmower blenny

I'll be looking for a flame angel in a couple months.

I plan on rehoming the tang and foxface when they get bigger.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back