A somewhat long 'myth busters' Poll

Click the statements you agree with:)

• Prophylactic medication with copper and prazipro IS warranted as a QT measure

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Prophylactic medication with copper and prazipro IS NOT warranted as a QT measure

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Tangs ARE more susceptible to disease (CI) than other fish

Votes: 46 45.5%
  • Tangs ARE NOT more susceptible to disease (CI) than other fish

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Adding bacteria with livestock to a new tank (according to instructions) IS SAFE

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Adding bacteria with livestock to a new tank (according to instructions) IS CRUEL

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Goniopora are impossible to keep

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Goniopora are easy to keep

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • To keep an anemone you need a tank that is AT LEAST 6 months and probably 1 year old

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • You can keep an anemone in a tank after its cycled.

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • You can keep fish healthy and thriving with Flake Food

• You need to add live foods or frozen foods in addition or in replacement of Flake food

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Most LPS like 'Low flow'

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Most LPS in the ocean are exposed to far more flow than what is normally in our tanks.

Votes: 47 46.5%
  • To keep SPS successfully you need to have a tank at least 6 months to 1 year old.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • You can keep SPS successfully in a tank with stable parameters no matter what the age.

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • The supply chain is contaminated with many more parasites and bacteria diseases than years past

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • The supply chain is NOT more contaminated with parasites, etc than previously

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Cycling a tank is a set process that only depends on the presence of bacteria and food for the bacte

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • Cycling a tank requires time, testing and monitoring to be completed properly

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • Empiric treatment of fish disease is necessary because there are so few fish veterinarians

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • As time goes on - we will need to know what we are treating before dosing medication to our fish

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • MOST Tangs need a larger tank than a triggerfish due to the distance they travel/day

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Tangs are no different than other large fish in the distances they travel and the tank size needed

• Total voters

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the common wisdom is that its impossible. ?
Seems to be doesn’t it. But when you’ve kept it for months and seen growth, makes you rethink it. I remember when cycling a tank supposedly took weeks or months and it’s been proven that you can basically instantly cycle a tank.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weird. You complain about people arguing with you but then you start a poll with just about everything that people generally argue about. It’s almost like you are looking for an argument. Hmmm...

Actually @Paul Sands - I created the poll to show each side (of each issue) how many people 'agree' and how many people 'disagree' on each topic in one convenient place. There should be no arguments

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a "myth busters" poll, since you are asking for opinions in which everyone has one, thus nothing is proven to be a myth or fact...

Thats why I used the term myth, the term truism, and lastly - the last sentence of the poll is: BTW - I'm not taking any opinion on what 'truisms, myths, or whatever you want to call them are true - I just want to see what others think:).....

I used myth busters in the sense if the first 'sentence' of a pair is true - it means the second one is a myth. But - again - the point wasn't to prove or disprove any one thing. It was designed to show people who may not read every thread some of the common 'unresolved' issues in the hobby.

Now if I REALLY wanted to start an argument - I would have said 'new alkalinity monitor A is the best' as compared to 'new alkalinity monitor B is the best':)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting poll, imo.

Some things I didn't vote on because I have no experience on it. Like goniopora. I've never kept one so I have no idea.

Thanks - Frankly I worded that question poorly - I wish I had worded it differently - BUT - if you go to many sites and search for goniopora it says they are nearly impossible to keep.

I think its more interesting than I thought it would be - mainly because - take the anemone's need to be in a tank at least 6 months old vs Anemones can be kept in any tank. It it tied at 16:16. To me I interpret this to mean at least 16 people have kept anemones in a relatively new tank with no problem. Does that mean that the statement 'Anemones NEED to be kept in a tank at least 6 months to 1 year old is a myth?' (Dont want to start a discussion of anemones - most of the questions are 50:50 on each side was the point).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very good poll

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the comparison of tangs with triggerfish ist not the best choice because the following possibility is not especially contradictionary. Tangs need larger tanks than angelfish but several triggerfish genera (Odonus, Melichthys) need at least as much space for swimming than Acanthurus tangs.

Obviously most reef aquarists think of low quality (freshwater?) flake foods when thinking for flake Food, but there are flake and granular foods that fulfil all physiological needs of most reef fish to stay healthy. Critical is the proportion and quality of oils with PUFA.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper kills beneficial bacteria and everything (silicone, rock, sand) absorb and you cant go back.

I put cupramine to my dt for 42 days. After caprisorb with polyfilter and carbon along with couple 50% water change I was able to put shrimp and corals again no problem.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the comparison of tangs with triggerfish ist not the best choice because the following possibility is not especially contradictionary. Tangs need larger tanks than angelfish but several triggerfish genera (Odonus, Melichthys) need at least as much space for swimming than Acanthurus tangs.

Obviously most reef aquarists think of low quality (freshwater?) flake foods when thinking for flake Food, but there are flake and granular foods that fulfil all physiological needs of most reef fish to stay healthy. Critical is the proportion and quality of oils with PUFA.

The reason I used trigger fish is that there are studies out there (from nature reserves) that state that several varieties of triggerfish swim further on a daily basis than tangs.

I like the comment on flake/food. Quality is the most important.

casper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed with the SPS needing a 6 month old tank/rock. Too many experts and novices losing SPS in a tank with new sterile rock unexplainably. The few examples of success prior to that seem to be isolated examples that probably had aged rock from another tank. I think its a good rule of thumb.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The whole goni thing is not black or white. They are not impossible but are not easy either.

They were thought to be impossible at the time because the type being imported was extremely hard to near impossible to keep.

There are different ones imported now and some are not to hard at all while other are still near impossible.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The whole goni thing is not black or white. They are not impossible but are not easy either.

They were thought to be impossible at the time because the type being imported was extremely hard to near impossible to keep.

There are different ones imported now and some are not to hard at all while other are still near impossible.

I bought 2 of the 'impossible ones' put them within 6 inches of each other on the bottom of the tank. One slowly (over a year) progressively died - the other tripled in size. Each had the same 'feeding', light, etc. The point of the question was to illustrate that there are new varieties out there.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a poll within the poll - does anyone want to post what they chose - again with some of the rationale behind their choices. No debates allowed - just infomation?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many "buts" and "howevers" involved in a poll like this. For example: The SPS questions -- does a tank need to be set up at least a year or can they live in the tank right away if the parameters remain stable? Both are true depending on the situation. A new reefer will have a huge learning curve that first year and the tank parameters will likely be wavering quite a bit, so waiting until he/she has the whole process down pat and a healthy tank is a good idea. A veteran reefer likely knows how to set up a tank properly for SPS to begin with and have it ready immediately because they will know how to have it ready from the start. Experience is everything. I did enjoy this poll btw. :)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are so many "buts" and "howevers" involved in a poll like this. For example: The SPS questions -- does a tank need to be set up at least a year or can they live in the tank right away if the parameters remain stable? Both are true depending on the situation. A new reefer will have a huge learning curve that first year and the tank parameters will likely be wavering quite a bit, so waiting until he/she has the whole process down pat and a healthy tank is a good idea. A veteran reefer likely knows how to set up a tank properly for SPS to begin with and have it ready immediately because they will know how to have it ready from the start. Experience is everything. I did enjoy this poll btw. :)

Thanks - and agreed. The thing that prompted the poll was because the exact statements (or close relatives) are used 'on their own' with no explanation - as if there was no grey area.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this poll. I find the answers so far to be very, very interesting. Some clearly have more people on a certain side but others are, surpringly, almost half and half.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back