A somewhat long 'myth busters' Poll

Click the statements you agree with:)

• Prophylactic medication with copper and prazipro IS warranted as a QT measure

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Prophylactic medication with copper and prazipro IS NOT warranted as a QT measure

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Tangs ARE more susceptible to disease (CI) than other fish

Votes: 46 45.5%
  • Tangs ARE NOT more susceptible to disease (CI) than other fish

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Adding bacteria with livestock to a new tank (according to instructions) IS SAFE

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Adding bacteria with livestock to a new tank (according to instructions) IS CRUEL

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Goniopora are impossible to keep

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Goniopora are easy to keep

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • To keep an anemone you need a tank that is AT LEAST 6 months and probably 1 year old

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • You can keep an anemone in a tank after its cycled.

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • You can keep fish healthy and thriving with Flake Food

• You need to add live foods or frozen foods in addition or in replacement of Flake food

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Most LPS like 'Low flow'

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Most LPS in the ocean are exposed to far more flow than what is normally in our tanks.

Votes: 47 46.5%
  • To keep SPS successfully you need to have a tank at least 6 months to 1 year old.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • You can keep SPS successfully in a tank with stable parameters no matter what the age.

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • The supply chain is contaminated with many more parasites and bacteria diseases than years past

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • The supply chain is NOT more contaminated with parasites, etc than previously

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Cycling a tank is a set process that only depends on the presence of bacteria and food for the bacte

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • Cycling a tank requires time, testing and monitoring to be completed properly

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • Empiric treatment of fish disease is necessary because there are so few fish veterinarians

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • As time goes on - we will need to know what we are treating before dosing medication to our fish

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • MOST Tangs need a larger tank than a triggerfish due to the distance they travel/day

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Tangs are no different than other large fish in the distances they travel and the tank size needed

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a lot of truisms (some would say myths) - in this hobby. Note - the word myth - is not meant to suggest anything negative about any of these points. Just that they are 'common' things we read every day on the forums. In the poll there is a 'commonly expressed 'statement' and its 'converse'. Lets see who believes what. IN the comments - perhaps mention why you believe what you do (or don't) - (or - if you have another myth you want to discuss feel free).

BTW - I'm not taking any opinion on what 'truisms, myths, or whatever you want to call them are true - I just want to see what others think:).....

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I hundred percent agree with his “Most LPS in the ocean are exposed to far more flow than what is normally in our tanks.”. The rest of them are basically just opinions.

All that said, it is extremely difficult to replicate anything like what’s in the ocean in our tanks. And setting up a powerhead at high setting next to an LPS is probably not the best for it.........

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing I hundred percent agree with his “Most LPS in the ocean are exposed to far more flow than what is normally in our tanks.”. The rest of them are basically just opinions.

All that said, it is extremely difficult to replicate anything like what’s in the ocean in our tanks. And setting up a powerhead at high setting next to an LPS is probably not the best for it.........
Exactly - but - some of the opinions - are treated as gospel....:). That was the point of the poll...

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You can keep SPS successfully in a tank with stable parameters no matter what the age."

I really believe this is true of almost anything in our tanks. Young tanks, particularly those that are still cycling, have big swings in chemicals. Stability is the key to success for so many things in our hobby!

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im surprised that there aren't more answers...... Lots of people have opinions on these things...:)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised that there aren't more answers...... Lots of people have opinions on these things...:)
It’s Sunday so always quiet in here, I’m sure voting will pick up when people are back at work

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice poll. The only way to know the true answer to any of these is to try it yourself. What works for you may not work for the next person. Goniopora for example - it's as easy to care for as my zoas however it’s outgrowing them by a long shot.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is cool, but it sounds like a trap. 13 years of marriage and I can smell a trap. Is this where I say "i love all the options " or do i fake an injury?

NO there is no trap - no right or wrong - but - some interesting questions. or?

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice poll. The only way to know the true answer to any of these is to try it yourself. What works for you may not work for the next person. Goniopora for example - it's as easy to care for as my zoas however it’s outgrowing them by a long shot.

But the common wisdom is that its impossible. ?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not big into myths. Voodoo yes, karma yes, Bigfoot or Loch Ness monster not so much.

I do believe actually 1 myth, or maybe not sure if it is a myth. But I believe 100 % of the time brook or velvet shows up in a tank a clown is in it. I will never own a clown.

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO there is no trap - no right or wrong - but - some interesting questions. or?

Interesting yes... more interesting are the answers.... but Trap Yes, because most of these questions are geared toward specific camps that are very passionate about the answers chosen.

For example: tangs need 3 mile long tanks to swim all day versus not a lot of room... quarantine vs no quarantine etc. I can see this thread going sideways very quickly. Waiting with baited breath the outcome though, so still a great thread!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back