A week and a half in after adding fish

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just wanted to document my journey with my 13.5 gallon reef tank. Had the tank up and running since august 20th. Added fish on the 13th of September along with some cleanup crew containing one peppermint shrimp and 3 snails. So far I’ve been feeding pretty heavy and haven’t had any algae growth. I was waiting to get the ugly stage and for my lights to acclimate to add corals. Let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have. First coral is going to to be GSP along the back wall of the tank.

122DBDCC-D42C-415B-B0DB-6B3152A5320B.jpeg 2070A195-52AD-4752-8DC2-A5A2FF48A324.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might wanna add some more rock to give the fish more hiding places...I'd suggest live rock personally, especially since it's already cycled
Yeah I thought I needed more hiding places for the fish. I thought about adding live rock but also didn’t want to introduce anything bad to the tank which is why I went with dry rock and live sand.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and start a build thread. Even if a lot of people don’t follow you it’s a good way to document your build.

I think you have a good start. 20 lbs of KP rock would move you ahead nicely, and add lot of diversity.

The benefit of a small tank is that it is much easier to remove pests.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and start a build thread. Even if a lot of people don’t follow you it’s a good way to document your build.

I think you have a good start. 20 lbs of KP rock would move you ahead nicely, and add lot of diversity.

The benefit of a small tank is that it is much easier to remove pests.
That’s a good idea. So you’re thinking if I get some live rock in there instead of the dry rock I would benefit from it more? Also I’ve heard a lot about sand and deep beds vs no bed. Would you remove some of the sand as well?

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tabn could benefit from wild live rock imo...you don't have to take the dry rock out though
Oh so you’re saying just add a piece or two. I was thinking if I could get some live rock I could throw it over the two already down and create a cave like structure for the fish.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so you’re saying just add a piece or two. I was thinking if I could get some live rock I could throw it over the two already down and create a cave like structure for the fish.
You can create any structure with it you like but you don't need to remove anything

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create any structure with it you like but you don't need to remove anything
Okay sweet! I’ll look into buying some live rock but I think it might be difficult finding something under the 15lb minimum you have to buy online.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sweet! I’ll look into buying some live rock but I think it might be difficult finding something under the 15lb minimum you have to buy online.
There are a few companies that sell it...I imagine you can work something out with them if you talk to them...there are actually many benefits of real live rock so you'd be making a great choice!

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few companies that sell it...I imagine you can work something out with them if you talk to them...there are actually many benefits of real live rock so you'd be making a great choice!
Yeah I’ll look into that just to get a piece in there to get it started hopefully to grow into the others.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which coral(s) you decide to add, some will be sold still attached to live rock.

Definitely added some bio-diversity to my tank.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which coral(s) you decide to add, some will be sold still attached to live rock.

Definitely added some bio-diversity to my tank.
Mostly softies. Mushrooms, zoas, GSP. Hopefully I could get done attached to live Rock

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of sand for a fluval. Add a few pieces of rock and maybe feed a little less. Build threads are great.
That’s what I was thinking. I thought that I would cycle with the sand abs then start taking some out after a bit.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk where you heard that but thats not a good idea. (taking the sand out)

maybe little at a time over weeks.
I understand where you’re coming from but as of now I should have anaerobic bacteria down there right now. So taking it out should be too big of a problem but I would also take it slow doing so

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just wanted to document my journey with my 13.5 gallon reef tank. Had the tank up and running since august 20th. Added fish on the 13th of September along with some cleanup crew containing one peppermint shrimp and 3 snails. So far I’ve been feeding pretty heavy and haven’t had any algae growth. I was waiting to get the ugly stage and for my lights to acclimate to add corals. Let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have. First coral is going to to be GSP along the back wall of the tank.

122DBDCC-D42C-415B-B0DB-6B3152A5320B.jpeg 2070A195-52AD-4752-8DC2-A5A2FF48A324.jpeg
In my opinion you should keep things simple and easy for yourself, so far it's looking great.
If you start removing/adding/ adjusting stuff it just over complicates things and takes away the enjoyment of 'creating your aquarium '
If you feel you are over feeding then you can adjust this yourself by adding less food which will help your aquarium chemistry in the long run.
Unfortunately you will go through an ugly stage at some point if not now then later but it will happen.

I'm unsure about having GSP as a back wall feature as it may grow out of control and smother your rocks, filtration systems etc, maybe try it as an island first and see if you can manage growth but entirely your choice as 'its your aquarium '

Your lights will promote algae growth so research best percentage and hours to have turned on as these vary so much, if you have no corals that have photosynthetic needs then you have freedom to adjust

Your aquarium looks great and I'm following
:)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back