Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took this last night and posted in the main dino topic but that thing is a monster. After looking at pics for comparison and my somewhat grainy photo, mine does not have any semblance of an almond shape and I have none on my rockwork, only on the sand bed. Does have a circle in the center but not a large pronounced one like I've seen with most Coolia examples. Anyone want to give me their opinion on whether this is indeed amph?

1578598391389.png

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally beat amphidinium dinoflagellates. What worked was removing all the sand from the system. Now my tank has the snotty form of dinoflagellates.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have growing on my sand bed. I ordered a microscope and my question is about collecting a sample, what exactly do I do? Other than the sand my tank looks great. All coral growing fast. Will post a picture once I get a sample. Thanks in advance!

0FFA208B-23A9-4AC3-87E9-EAA4CA627EFF.jpeg
This is under microscope. Please advise?

1B0FC7B6-F849-4AF0-AFD9-A8FA32DFF031.jpeg 9DE47E19-974C-45B4-81FF-47FDF76AAE3E.jpeg

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to stir the sand where the dinos are and blow the rocks and immediately dose hydrogen peroxide? Has any one tried this method?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to stir the sand where the dinos are and blow the rocks and immediately dose hydrogen peroxide? Has any one tried this method?
Hydrogen peroxide seems to be ineffective on dinos. I tied when I had amphidinium and it did not helpmat all. Sand removal was the only effect action I took against it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the main dino thread, I bought a UV. It has been running for a couple days but now after reading this thread I am 90% sure I have large cell amphidinium. So... I have a few questions:

Is it still worth running UV?

What is the general consensus on dealing with LCA? Seems the prevailing thoughts are any or all of the following:

- Raise nutrients
- Dose MB7 heavily
- Dose SpongeExcel
- Remove sand (I'd prefer not to)

Anything else?

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Looks like I’ve joined the club. Can anyone chime in on whether or not these are large or small cells?

They're in a 10g frag & invert QT and seem to prefer the sand (so im assuming large) but there's definitely a bit on the frag plugs and racks.

IMG_3539.jpeg

Current plan is:
  • put all frags on magnetic racks on the glass
  • raise N & P
  • dose SE
  • remove sand
I figure once the sand is gone I should be able to scrape the glass bottom & side to dislodge them nightly. this could allow me to either siphon through a 5 micro socks and/or run a UV unit.

Any validity to trying to forcefully dislodge them & running UV or siphoning? I assume with enough scraping they're gonna have to go swimming & hopefully get sucked up

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha any way you could let me know if the pic I posted above is large cell or small? thanks!

happy to participate in any experiments you folks need. Mine's happening in a 10g coral/invert QT so I'm willing to go scorched earth etc as long as its not obviously gonna hurt my coral

Last edited:
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any way you could let me know if the pic I posted above is large cell or small? thanks!
This is small-cell amphidinium.

Any validity to trying to forcefully dislodge them & running UV or siphoning? I assume with enough scraping they're gonna have to go swimming & hopefully get sucked up
These kind are capable of going into the water, so yes. UV and pushing them into water can be effective here.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is small-cell amphidinium.

These kind are capable of going into the water, so yes. UV and pushing them into water can be effective here.

I have a 18 watt aqua uv. Is that too much for a 10g cube? It’s clearly too much by the spec but in a “the tank is going to hell” scenario like this is it worth using?

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun the fight.
  • I put a small Green Killing Machine UV in there. Have the Aqua Gadget uV on standby but am using filter floss in the AIO chamber to catch the dead guys
  • Just dosed P & N for the first time
  • Tossed in some algae wafers for the snails
  • SpongeExel arrives tomorrow so I’ll start that then
Current P via Hannah: 0.01
Current Nitrate via Nyos: 1.0

image.jpg

this weekend I’m going to get rid of the frag racks and use some magnetic ones. After that I’m going to remove all the sand.

I might put a small dish with a bit of sand in there so the 2 snails have a place to chill. TBD

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you tell the difference between small cell and large cell?
here's a dino ID guide .pdf that will help.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellate-identification-guide.671466/
a few more details...
Small Cell is obviously smaller, maybe 1/5th the length & width.
Also small-cell always has a curved "beak", while the large cell is less curved or totally symmetric.
Small cell move much faster, are much better swimmers, and go into the water while most large cell never will.
Small cell has more reports of toxic effects than large cell.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a dino ID guide .pdf that will help.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellate-identification-guide.671466/
a few more details...
Small Cell is obviously smaller, maybe 1/5th the length & width.
Also small-cell always has a curved "beak", while the large cell is less curved or totally symmetric.
Small cell move much faster, are much better swimmers, and go into the water while most large cell never will.
Small cell has more reports of toxic effects than large cell.
Thanks. I feel really confident now. I definitely have both. I've had a small patch of large cell on my sand forever. I have small cell growing on hair algae. I've now had all 5 common types of dinos in my tank at some point or another.

Don't needlessly carbon dose, kids.

20200127_213026.jpg 20200208_210305.jpg

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! well done on the IDs.
another thing that your pic illustrates...
The pyrenoid (central circular structure) takes up much more of the cell in the small cell amphidinium.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on my battle (reminder: 10G cube housing 12 frags and 3 snails. aka invert/coral QT)
  1. started dosing Nitrate and Phosphate from @FishOfHex a week ago
  2. began dosing silica at the same time
  3. increased feeding (reef roids and wafers for snails)
  4. Added a 3w Green Killing Machine UV
I gradually raised my nitrates to 12 and Phos to 0.08. After a week the sand was dramatically cleaner in one quarter of the tank. Ironically this was the corner with the most light exposure (not under a frag rack etc). The area immediately under the UV was clear too. I also started getting some green algae in the sand and quite a bit of coralline algae began to grow on the glass.

Still had a lingering mess under the 2 frag racks and the sand immediately beneath it.

Today I took a measured yet drastic approach to push the process forward:
  • I removed the inhabitants and put them in a bucket along with a gallon or so of tank water.
  • I then began to siphon out all the sand and water: I hung a 5 micron filter sock in a 5g bucket in hopes of removing as many bad guys as possible.
  • I took the tank to the yard and hosed it out & scraped the glass. filled it up completely, drained it, and did a quick paper towel dry.
  • Added the original water that I filtered back into the tank
  • Then I put in brand new magnetic frag racks, tooth brushed the frag plugs and replaced the coral and snails
Tank's really clear now, of course, but we'll see how long this lasts. I'm going to give it a few days for the coral to recover and see how it goes. still have some flailing bits on the coral but I haven't scoped any to see if they're diatoms or dinos.

Technically, if tap water actually kills the dinos, the only cells that should have survived were the ones I didn't successfully brush off the coral.

Hopefully this wasn't too traumatic on the coral but I went to great lengths to keep them in the original water and return them to the same height/par they were at before I removed them - just to be safe I set the lights on a 5 day acclimation cycle to ease them back in. my zoas, frogspawn and hammer, acans and blasto are looking good (starting to open up). The few SPS look ok too but its too soon to tell.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back