IMG-20200224-WA0046.jpg
IMG-20200224-WA0047.jpg
wow!!!! those coral are stunning!!!

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know where i will be getting salt water from. Would you recommend getting the water from the pet store? You have been super helpful and i am very thankful.
You need to get RODI water that is mixed with salt. Their is loads of types of salts. The rodi water is best to be at 0 TDS. Now it is okay if it's around 1-3. TDS is totals dissolved solids. You can't use tap water as a replica because it contains more tds. Corals and fish need pure water which is why we use rodi filter to purify water down to 0 tds. Then we mix it with salt. I honestly don't have an RODI unit I just get water from my lfs but it's better to have an rodi unit just to not have to be moving gallons of water in the car and all of that stuff but my lfs delivers them so its okay with me, but later on I will get an RODI unit. Sometimes I mix my own salt which is really easy, depending on the salt you get you just need to get around salinty of 1.024 - 1.026. Its easy you'll get the hang of it.

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get RODI water that is mixed with salt. Their is loads of types of salts. The rodi water is best to be at 0 TDS. Now it is okay if it's around 1-3. TDS is totals dissolved solids. You can't use tap water as a replica because it contains more tds. Corals and fish need pure water which is why we use rodi filter to purify water down to 0 tds. Then we mix it with salt. I honestly don't have an RODI unit I just get water from my lfs but it's better to have an rodi unit just to not have to be moving gallons of water in the car and all of that stuff but my lfs delivers them so its okay with me, but later on I will get an RODI unit. Sometimes I mix my own salt which is really easy, depending on the salt you get you just need to get around salinty of 1.024 - 1.026. Its easy you'll get the hang of it.
Thank you so much! I'm leaning towards the mixing of my own salts. I just feel that would be good to know how to do in general lol.

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I'm leaning towards the mixing of my own salts. I just feel that would be good to know how to do in general lol.
Ask your lfs what salt they have and take the one that's good for basically soft corals. Basically their would be instructions like 1cup per 1 gallon = salinty of 1.025.

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon and love it! I put lots of easy corals in mine like leathers, zoas, mushrooms, and basically anything that it considered a beginner coral. I have a build thread you can check out to get an idea of what it’s like. Let me know what you think.

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon and love it! I put lots of easy corals in mine like leathers, zoas, mushrooms, and basically anything that it considered a beginner coral. I have a build thread you can check out to get an idea of what it’s like. Let me know what you think.
I'll for sure check it out!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brightwell Neo-Marine salt for my tank. I like it. Mixes up nice and clear. 1/2 cup per gallon gets you right at 1.025 salinity. I make it up 5 gallons at a time and keep a pump in the bucket to stir it. I change out 24 oz. Of water everyday. Literally takes a couple minutes. Keeps the water parameters in check. Most of my corals are fairly new so they are just starting to grow more polyps and get a little bigger. Each one of my zoanthids started with 3 polyps. Now 1 of them has 8, the other has about 12, and the other probably has 10-11. This tank has been up for about 10 months now. I just added the torch and the montipora yesterday.

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used tap water and used a dechlorinater (AQUASAFE) seems to have always been fine with me, I have a 20 gallon tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back