Best RODI System???

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad!!

I'm looking into getting a RODI system and was wondering which is the best one and what everyone uses for their own aquariums?

Also, what salt would you guys recommend???

Thanks so much!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad!!

I'm looking into getting a RODI system and was wondering which is the best one and what everyone uses for their own aquariums?

Also, what salt would you guys recommend???

Thanks so much!!!
I use the BRS RODI system, but there are plenty of good ones out there. The biggest problems people have isn't getting the wrong system, it is not changing filters frequently enough. Just make sure you buy one from a reputable dealer and maintain in properly.

My recommendation is to figure out what you want your water parameters to be and find a salt that comes close to matching it when mixed. If you plan on keeping Alk at 7.5dkh you don't want a salt that mixes at 12dkh.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the BRS 150GPD ro unit, which is technically a 7 stage if you count the two ro membranes. My source water is nasty where I live ;VomitAnd I'm currently using Fritz Reef Pro Mix salt, but thinking of switching to HW-Marine Mix, as it's more readily available. I don't have to drive a distance to get it.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS RODI system, but there are plenty of good ones out there. The biggest problems people have isn't getting the wrong system, it is not changing filters frequently enough. Just make sure you buy one from a reputable dealer and maintain in properly.

My recommendation is to figure out what you want your water parameters to be and find a salt that comes close to matching it when mixed. If you plan on keeping Alk at 7.5dkh you don't want a salt that mixes at 12dkh.
I was looking at that one! I'm between that one, the 4 stage marine depot one, and the one by aquatic life. I'll have to d a little more research to figure out what salt I want. Thanks!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is a "best."

Can't go wrong with Spectrapure, BRS, Buckeye Hydro, and others.

As far as salt, same deal....no "best." It's whatever parameters you wish to maintain. My preference is ocean water, so I go with simple Instant Ocean. Long history of high quality salt.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find the water report from your local city / municipality / town, that will direct what you ultimately need in terms of a RODI unit. It will state chlorination used (chlorine vs chloramines), usual levels of elements, etc. No two areas are the same, and as we're learning, this can have an impact on carbon blocks, resin usage, etc.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the BRS 150GPD ro unit, which is technically a 7 stage if you count the two ro membranes. My source water is nasty where I live ;VomitAnd I'm currently using Fritz Reef Pro Mix salt, but thinking of switching to HW-Marine Mix, as it's more readily available. I don't have to drive a distance to get it.
I'll look into that one! Any complaints when it comes to the system?

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is a "best."

Can't go wrong with Spectrapure, BRS, Buckeye Hydro, and others.

As far as salt, same deal....no "best." It's whatever parameters you wish to maintain. My preference is ocean water, so I go with simple Instant Ocean. Long history of high quality salt.
sounds good! thanks!!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find the water report from your local city / municipality / town, that will direct what you ultimately need in terms of a RODI unit. It will state chlorination used (chlorine vs chloramines), usual levels of elements, etc. No two areas are the same, and as we're learning, this can have an impact on carbon blocks, resin usage, etc.
I'll do a quick search!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into that one! Any complaints when it comes to the system?
None whatsoever :) I've got it setup Sediment filter>carbon block>Carbon Block>ro unit>ro unit>di canister>di canister

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 5.44.17 PM.png

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the water report from 2017 ^

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to figure out if they use chlorine or chloramine - they are lumped together in that report. It will change the way that you attack this.
Where could I find those levels? I can't seem to find an article online that's up to date.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back