Chloroquine phosphate

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run lights normally in a QT with CP. Its the powder itself that is light/heat sensitive.

However, if you are using CP (or copper) to treat fish with velvet I would keep the lights off as much as possible. Velvet causes fish to become overly sensitive to light.

If a chemical is light sensitive in substance, it is usually even more light sensitive in solution. So i would use only dim lighting when medicating with CP.

Best,
Christoph

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read actually CP degrades less due to light in solution. In both cases I agree with you, I dont recommend adding light in QT as its unnecessary and it is a stressor. As long as ambient light is available and the fish can see the food its good enough lighting.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/page-7#post-2676564

I used to think the same thing, but other public aquariums I advise have backed up his assertion by testing CP in solution under various lights (including strong MH) using a spectrophotometer.

One needs to be careful, a photospectrometer measures just absorption. In the case of CP the aromatic ring system is something that absorbes UV light rather strongly, so this can be used to quantify the amount of CP. Although if the chemical is altered (rendering it ineffective) but with the aromatic system still intact, you could not measure declining CP concentration using just a photometer, the UV-absorption would stay nearly constant. HPLC would be the method of choice, to actually see if the compound is still there (and in which concentration).

My experience as an organic chemist is, that only in very rare cases substances are more stable in solution, as compared to a pure compound, especially when it is a solid. Having a bottle of solid CP exposed to light, only a very tiny fraction would be exposed to light, the rest would be shaded.

Im planning on running some HPLC stability tests on CP asap, but free time is my limiting factor :(

Best,
Christoph

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph Interesting indeed! I would love to know the results of the HPLC stability test.

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One needs to be careful, a photospectrometer measures just absorption. In the case of CP the aromatic ring system is something that absorbes UV light rather strongly, so this can be used to quantify the amount of CP. Although if the chemical is altered (rendering it ineffective) but with the aromatic system still intact, you could not measure declining CP concentration using just a photometer, the UV-absorption would stay nearly constant. HPLC would be the method of choice, to actually see if the compound is still there (and in which concentration).

My experience as an organic chemist is, that only in very rare cases substances are more stable in solution, as compared to a pure compound, especially when it is a solid. Having a bottle of solid CP exposed to light, only a very tiny fraction would be exposed to light, the rest would be shaded.

Im planning on running some HPLC stability tests on CP asap, but free time is my limiting factor :(

Best,
Christoph

I am looking forward to the results. Also, it would be a huge benefit to the forum if you could look at the purity of CP from multiple sources.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minimum effective dose for praziquantel is 2.0 mg/L.

70 gal = 265 L, so you would need to dose 530 mg of praziquantel powder. I would use a digital scale for more accurate dosing.

I would also put the powder in a fine mesh/brine shrimp net, so it can slowly be expressed into the water. You don't want to mix any solubilizing agents (e.g. ethyl alcohol) with CP.
Thanks so i guess the prazi will slowly mix over time?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently treating 1 6 inch angel 1 7 inch tang and 1 8 inch trigger in 65 gallon. I setup a second 30 gallon QT and i am on my 11th day of CP in main QT. Can i transfer 1 fish at atime over the next week? my plan is to transfer trigger tomorrow. observe him for few days then move next fish and so on. Does it matter what number of days in CP past the initial 10 days to transfer? how long should you observe him in 2nd QT? The problem i have is i cant put these big fish together in a 30 gallon tank. Thanks for your help. Tom

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently treating 1 6 inch angel 1 7 inch tang and 1 8 inch trigger in 65 gallon. I setup a second 30 gallon QT and i am on my 11th day of CP in main QT. Can i transfer 1 fish at atime over the next week? my plan is to transfer trigger tomorrow. observe him for few days then move next fish and so on. Does it matter what number of days in CP past the initial 10 days to transfer? how long should you observe him in 2nd QT? The problem i have is i cant put these big fish together in a 30 gallon tank. Thanks for your help. Tom

Where did you obtain your CP from? How close in proximity is the 30 gal to the 65 gal?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well if that's true I am in trouble because I have 4 tanks in a 12 by 16 room with no other place to put them. Wife would kill me if I tried to a put a tank anywhere else. LOL. Any way what about transferring the fish? If it's past the 10 days of treatment does it matter when I transfer them?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way what about transferring the fish? If it's past the 10 days of treatment does it matter when I transfer them?

I like to observe for a full 30 days, when using the treat & transfer method. It is designed to get the fish out of medication ASAP, or transfer the fish to another QT so a different treatment (e.g. antibiotics) can be used. It was never designed to be used as a shortcut for overall quarantine time frame.

You have to understand, when you only treat for 10-14 days mistakes can and will happen. That's part of what the 30 day post-treatment observation period is for, to catch any mistakes you made.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to observe for a full 30 days, when using the treat & transfer method. It is designed to get the fish out of medication ASAP, or transfer the fish to another QT so a different treatment (e.g. antibiotics) can be used. It was never designed to be used as a shortcut for overall quarantine time frame.

You have to understand, when you only treat for 10-14 days mistakes can and will happen. That's part of what the 30 day post-treatment observation period is for, to catch any mistakes you made.
That's what I am using 2nd QT for treating with Prazipro and lowering bioload on main QT. I am worried about tank being able to handle load If i use Praziquantel powder on top of CP with 3 large fish it. Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am using 2nd QT for treating with Prazipro and lowering bioload on main QT. I am worried about tank being able to handle load If i use Praziquantel powder on top of CP with 3 large fish it. Thanks

If you use the powder you should be fine. It's the Prazipro liquid (with oxybispropanol) that doesn't play nice with CP. ;)

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the powder you should be fine. It's the Prazipro liquid (with oxybispropanol) that doesn't play nice with CP. ;)
So you think I should treat the main QT with praziquantel and leave all 3 in there?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon qt. After 30 day treatment and 2 doses of GC I put the carbon filters back in the HOB. I can then observe them.

I don't have the room or patience for a QT, HT, and Observation Tank (OT).

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, yes.
Ok on day 13 of CP treatment Fowleri tang and personified angal eating less and less. No scratching or signs of ich. I intially dosed for 60 and have been replacing when I do water changes. I did see personifer scratch a couple of times but not the fowleri. Flukes? Internal worms? Or I doses too much CP and the metallic taste is Strong? Any help appreciated. Thanks Tom

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back