ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could I say that? I am saying I don't understand and the proof has yet to submitted. Often times people don't know what they are battling.

I posted this a while back, these are pics from his tank. I'm not an algae expert but was told it was chrysophytes. I gave him some fluconazole just to see if it would work, we didn't do any science. He didn't do anything else to the tank tho, in a few weeks it was gone. Can anyone ID this algae?? Clear HA??!

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Can-anyone-ID-this-algae??-Clear-HA??!.294890/

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferfoxx are you saying that it didn't work?

How could I say that? I am saying I don't understand and the proof has yet to submitted. Often times people don't know what they are battling.
its also possible noted off of the target was a side effect. As both Chrystos and Diatoms seem to respond to nutrient addition treatments , its quite possible the dieoff of microorganisms or (with fluc treatment) the algae glass disappears for a couple weeks, allowing nutrients to rise, and the chrysto/diatom may not be succumbing in the same way as bryo or GHA.
the experiment would need to be repeatable.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen, all I'm saying is. If you want to do science. Go ahead. And if you wanna buy snails at 1.99 per snail you can do that. Or you could also try something that didn't not work for 20 bucs for 10 pills. And yes I can't conclude that it DID work, so I did say that it DID'NT NOT work.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this a while back, these are pics from his tank. I'm not an algae expert but was told it was chrysophytes. I gave him some fluconazole just to see if it would work, we didn't do any science. He didn't do anything else to the tank tho, in a few weeks it was gone. Can anyone ID this algae?? Clear HA??!

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Can-anyone-ID-this-algae??-Clear-HA??!.294890/
I apologise and with all respect to that thread, that doesnt look like chrysophytes to me.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise and with all respect to that thread, that doesnt look like chrysophytes to me.

No need for apologies. We are all adult scientists here! I'm kidding! Well whatever that stuff is, fluconazole knocked it out :) im out. Good luck to the OP

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for apologies. We are all adult scientists here! I'm kidding! Well whatever that stuff is, fluconazole knocked it out :) im out. Good luck to the OP
Haha I get it. The thread you posted shows something growing that plants its base to rocks or some surface. Where as chrysos are more like clumps or groups of protists absorbing its nutrients from the rocks. The difference is chrysos are easily moved via water flow or turbulence.

I would like to side with you in that fluc. is a cure all for 80% of our reef issues but then it would turn into another vibrant thread.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you really think I need 53 astrea snails? lol They would all die in my DT as there is little to eat.
I mean, you could start with 25? I had 10 in my 30 gallon but since the tank was still new, other forms of algae started growing after the chrysos. It wasnt a pointless purchase on my part. Toothbrushes can be affective too, i guess.

OP
OP
pboutin

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you could start with 25? I had 10 in my 30 gallon but since the tank was still new, other forms of algae started growing after the chrysos. It wasnt a pointless purchase on my part. Toothbrushes can be affective too, i guess.
I mean my DT where the chrysos is growing has nothing else to eat.
IMG_5572.jpg
My Refugium has 0 chrysos but then again has tons of algae
IMG_5403.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, add slowly and diversely IMO.
I do go in fives. Its easy to remember and re count later. A caution in mexican turbos. They get big so big them small, as they easily starve first.

OP
OP
pboutin

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, add slowly and diversely IMO.
I do go in fives. Its easy to remember and re count later. A caution in mexican turbos. They get big so big them small, as they easily starve first.
I was always under the impression they prefer cold water as they are native to the Sea of Cortez and it is not considered tropical and they end up dying of heat.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my DT where the chrysos is growing has nothing else to eat.
IMG_5572.jpg
My Refugium has 0 chrysos but then again has tons of algae
IMG_5403.JPG
Your DT is so clean looking! Your tang would also take care of any gha growing. I think salty is right, just start with 5 or 10 astrea. I do think your chryso-fight(pun intended) is about over. Fwiw my turbos never ate the chrysos.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always under the impression they prefer cold water as they are native to the Sea of Cortez and it is not considered tropical and they end up dying of heat.
Mine don't. No.
Also where they're raised is far north of the pacific current. Its only a few hours from me actually.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your DT is so clean looking! Your tang would also take care of any gha growing. I think salty is right, just start with 5 or 10 astrea. I do think your chryso-fight(pun intended) is about over. Fwiw my turbos never ate the chrysos.
Not sure what ate what. I did 5 of 3 species here and a scrub. All herbivores/omnivores no carnivores.
IMG_1256.JPG

(still not as good as your redrum pic)

OP
OP
pboutin

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't. No.
Also where they're raised is far north of the pacific current. Its only a few hours from me actually.
Ahh so go diving for a few for me!

lol that pick is a few weeks old now. Now the Chaeto is twice the size and everything but the rocks are covered in Cyano including the GHA on the glass and sand.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! That was a mess. I still have some residual cyano from that. Thinking of treating it with something.

The two metas behind dry rock cycling and marine cultured live rock are different. One could say no to cuc for live rock but, I believe half the chryso issue with dry rock is from having inadequate cuc.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything but the rocks are covered in Cyano including the GHA on the glass and sand.
Sounds like your tank is back on track with cycling.
@mcarroll mentioned something once about chrysos effecting bacteria or least the possibility?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back