Clam looking a little sick

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1628.JPG

I'm Worried about the clam pictured above. His mantle was full for the last few weeks after a big tank move. Over the last several days one side is not coming out of the shell.

Any diagnoses? Recommendations?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that anything near it may be stinging it?

My own observation is that when they start going south, they open wider and wider as the tissue weakens.

Tagging along....

Spencereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pmd(pinched mantle disease)
Mine looked similar, did a fresh water dip, temp adjusted 20 minutes (please research first) clam is great now.
Good luck keep us posted.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for pyramid snails, other corals stinging it, ect. I don't see any new white she'll growth so it could have been on the decline for a bit. Depending how far gone it is it may not survive a freshwater dip.

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen any pyramid snails. Stinging not likely from nearby corals, no stinging strands noticed. There is a vermitid snail close by but his webs usually go away from the snail. It does look like PMD. He lost a chunk of footing (hairs mostly) a week or two ago. After reading the PMD thread... I am running GFO and Carbon (both changed last week) And looks like GFO may not be ideal. Any one else have an issue with GFO harming clams.

Gonna try an Rodi bath tonight before he gets too bad.

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for pyramid snails, other corals stinging it, ect. I don't see any new white she'll growth so it could have been on the decline for a bit. Depending how far gone it is it may not survive a freshwater dip.

Good point, but I do see a decent growth ring that is not as apparent in the pic. She's starting a new layer of ridges/ scalloped edges I think.

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1628.JPG

I'm Worried about the clam pictured above. His mantle was full for the last few weeks after a big tank move. Over the last several days one side is not coming out of the shell.

Any diagnoses? Recommendations?

Update... did the Rodi bath, temp and ph adjusted. I was positively sure I killed it initially.
IMG_1637.JPG

Next morning, she had some reflexes

IMG_1639.JPG

Not as bad.....

Right now... still looks rough but reflexes are good.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that one. I've always had great luck with the fresh water dip on clams that come in a bit funky. Brings them back within a day or two almost every time.

In your case for the long term clam health I'd recommend taking it off the sand and placing it on a rock or on a clam cradle/tile that you can place on top of the sand. Your clam will need very high PAR for continued health as well as somewhere to anchor its foot. They prefer to cement themselves in unlike derasas or squamosas which tend to do fine on the sand. Any idea on PAR readings where you've got it now.

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I had her on a flattish rock and got disconnected somehow. Tried moving up some on the rocks but she kept moving around and falling so I have her on the sand until she's healed up a bit. Looking a little better, but not 100%.

Not sure about "PAR" reading for now. China box led's ~60% whites during the peak. Keeping low to let a couple partially bleached corals (favia's and a large chalice) color up. Tank parameters are clean. I think the tank move just caused a little too much stress.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your water params? I think they like higher magnesium levels, and they like a bit of nitrate from what I understand. Mine started to do that opened a little bit, close a little bit, etc and then it was over. How old is your tank by the way?

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your water params? I think they like higher magnesium levels, and they like a bit of nitrate from what I understand. Mine started to do that opened a little bit, close a little bit, etc and then it was over. How old is your tank by the way?

Tank has been established for about two years, and recently had a big move when I purchased it. (I'm new to the hobby). Mag has been a little low 1260 -1290 and I have been bringing that up slowly.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I like to see! A success story! Nicely done!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I had her on a flattish rock and got disconnected somehow. Tried moving up some on the rocks but she kept moving around and falling so I have her on the sand until she's healed up a bit. Looking a little better, but not 100%.

Not sure about "PAR" reading for now. China box led's ~60% whites during the peak. Keeping low to let a couple partially bleached corals (favia's and a large chalice) color up. Tank parameters are clean. I think the tank move just caused a little too much stress.
Nicely done! Judging by the pics it looks like the freshwater bath did the trick to bring her around from whatever was ailing. Now that she's on the mend I do strongly recommend working to get her mounted higher up in the tank. No way to know for sure how much PAR you have on the sand, but I'm nearly positive it won't be close to enough to grow this clam long term. Higher up in the tank is your best bet. Hopefully you'll have 300+ PAR somewhere up on the rocks to give you a fighting chance at growing the clam out long term.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the dip worked. At this point I would not move the clam up right away, let it recover from the stress of the dip. I don't think par was the issue to begin with. Go slow and watch the clam closely for a few weeks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back